Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Orbitron FOUND?

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Wowcars, Aug 29, 2007.

1. Crease

Crease

I agree, but after the $50 duece roadster thing turned out to be true, who the heck knows anymore?

2. publicenemy1925

publicenemy1925
    from OKC, OK

Totally Fantastic! Whether it was found as a ashtray at mobile mexican tamale brothel or some dude's barn, it's a bitchin find!

3. sledish

sledish

Its like an Indiana Jones find !:eek:

4. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

That is some big shit, that car has been missing for a long time.

5. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

what a find! hope we get to see the rebuild. Roth was a great artist.

6. VonMoldy

VonMoldy
    from UTARRGH!

that is just crazy cool.

7. Is Moriarity going to try to pick up this thing?

8. eric

eric

i bet these dudes had something to do with it!:D

[​IMG]

9. COOP666

COOP666
    from Austin TX

"I need to get my wife's bubbletop show car out of this BAD AREA..."

10. ShakeyPuddin55

ShakeyPuddin55

So how many Pesos was it?

11. Moldy

Moldy

Wow, I can't believe it, how one can post a little information with a few fotos on the inter web and within 24 hours it becomes big news!
    Amazing!

Well gang,

Here is the scoop.

The car was originally owned by some introverted collector, a Doctor, many years ago in the state of Texas.. it is also rumored that this person also owned the Rotar which is now owned by Beau Boeckmann of Galpin Motors in Van Nuys.

The Orbitron was traded by the Doctor to a guy for another project, this guy got into some drug trouble and in turn traded it to his lawyer for his fees. After that the lawyer sold it to another guy down south of the boarder who then sold it to the carnival owner who was then killed in 1991 because he flaked on a drug deal.

The owner of the Adult Book store was the nephew of the carnival owner and has had the Orbitron since 1991.

The owner of the book store believed that his uncle had actually built the car but the only thing that the uncle had done to the car was to cut off the nose of the vehicle and put a radiator in it to drive it around the carnival grounds. The reason for cutting of the nose was to show all of the chrome work that was hidden.

As a matter of fact for those of you that might remember, that the Orbitron was not one of Roth's most popular cars because of this reason. The mill and all of the chrome was pretty much hidden underneath the hood and and the body of the car so therefore the car did not have the impact... that Wow factor that most of the other cars that Roth had put together.... maybe this was something that Ed Newton might have over looked.. who knows..

But anyway...

The current owner restores cars for the elite down in Mexico and found the Orbitron sitting in front of the bookstore and has been hounding the family for over a year in regard to the sale of the car. The owners of the book store didn't want to sell the car because of sentimental reasons.

The current owner convinced the owner of the book store that he was familiar with his uncles car, and if he had sentimental feelings for the car, then why was it that he was allowing people to use it as a trash can? and then convinced the owner of the book store that he could restore the thing back to it's original condition. It was at that time that the nephew finely let the thing go and sold it to the current owner..

At this time the names, dates, locations and the current owner are being kept under wraps, Why? Because the current owner has requested it.

The full story and any and all corrections of the information will be released shortly once it is decided whether the current owner will actually underwrite the restoration or if it will be sold to those who have already made offers.

Yes, this story is true, it is the Orbitron, we have confirmed it, yes that is the original mill, steering wheel, along with the wheels and even the tires. And it even has remnants of the funky carpeting that Ed Roth installed way back when.

As far as the restoration, we are currently working on the team of builders.. Candidates include, Fritz, Mark and Larry Watson who originally painted the car with a Candy Blue over a Pearl under coat.

So stay tuned Finksters there is more to come on this needle in the hay stack, the last of the Mohicans, yes even for those of you who think it's ugly!

Oh yeah, back to Ed Newton, the Newt is currently designing a new creation that is being built as we speak.. News of that endeavor will be released shortly too, so hang in there gang, times are changin' and changin' for the good!

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!

tha Moldy one
    Curator "The Orbitron Project"

http://s223.photobucket.com/albums/dd151/Roth_Orbitron/

12. GlenC

GlenC

It's a staged photo. Look at the pavers under the car, they're perfectly clean. If the car had been sitting there for any length of time all sorts of crap, dead leaves, bits of paper etc would have built up under it. Not to mention the Buick front brake drums are still shiny, the tri-carbs and manifold, rocker covers etc are still on the engine and exposed to both the elements and the thieves and vandals.

Not to take anything from the discovery mind you, that's certainly an awesome survivor find, but I suspect someone wants to spice the 'history' up a bit by adding a Mexican adult shop to the story.

Cheers, Glen.

13. eric

eric

:D :D :p :p :D :D thats classic Coop!!!
    "Otto, what about our relationship?"
    "Relationship?...FUCK THAT!!!":D

14. P.T Barnum with fiberglass dust........classic. I was just going to say Roth on another acid trip because that car is one ugly ass MO FO, but I think your quote pretty much sums him up......P.T. Barnum......... priceless..........

15. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

If Moldy says it's true then it's true. And fucking awesome! It's a piece of history and I am way stoked. I for one can't wait to see it restored. :D

16. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Newton. Is he building one of his existing sketches that maybe we've all seen? Something all new?!

Moldy, give me a hint!

17. I'm just happy we know it still exists. F#ck the conspiracy theories and jealousy....that shits seriously lame. Staged? Who cares?!!!!

18. attitudor

attitudor
    from Finland

Thanks for Moldy & Co for bringing this case into daylight. One of the true barn find stories of real life! Glad the car went to people who can value it. The trash can days are gone.

I'm sure this discovery was the result of years' investigation, not just a sudden "Craigslist" purchase...?

--mika

19. Moldy

Moldy

First of all, the Trash was taken out of the car prior to these fotos being taken and the path cleared in order to move the car.. Go to the link provided and take a close look mate!

http://s223.photobucket.com/albums/dd151/Roth_Orbitron/

Next as I mentioned before, the front end and the engine were chromed and chrome at least from the 60's holds up pretty good and doesn't necessarily rust! The location was in the north central part of Mexico near the Texas boarder, Very dry, not near the coast.

Now if you look close at the fotos you will notice that there is trash under the car and in front of it.. if you also take a look at the center carb you will note that the butterfly is rusted, the hoses are toast, along with a bunch of other junk, like the old plywood sub structure etc..

Another thing that we all might recognize is that Mexican nationals do not rip off and vandalize Mexican nationals .. Why? because they just don't.. they are brothers, sisters, aunts uncles and cousins.. A bit different than other countries that were founded as dumping grounds for the unruly.

Ever been to Mexico?

It is a lot bigger than you think, very diversified geological environments, it has desert, mountains, and coastal regions.

I think that you would be surprised!

Step out of the box my brother, nothing has been staged,.

As Ed "Big Daddy" Roth would say.

"Wot is.. Is..... Wot Ain't..... Ain't"

Geeez give me a break!!!!!!!!!!

20. Moldy

Moldy

I was invited to go and take a look at the Newt project the other day and am working it into my schedule.

I'll attempt to take some snaps and try and get permission to publish them.. but won't know till then. I think they are submitting footage for TV and may not allow me to publish anything until it airs.

But still it is the real deal!

21. RATFINKFOREVER

RATFINKFOREVER
    from Canada Eh

I have 1500 dollars to get my first car I'm thinking I might go check this one out and try to make a deal with the guy what ya guys think.

22. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

So I wait. I can wait. I can't wait.

Should be swell!

23. thinkfink

thinkfink

What a GREAT story...

24. knotheads

knotheads

you might be able to scavange a few parts off of it .

25. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Gee some of you US guys love a conspiracy :) ....... lets enjoy this story for what it is - a great old car has been found.

26. Reverend_Grimm13

Reverend_Grimm13
    BANNED
    from Yucaipa

Yeah,that first hearse he found and sent me pictures of is worth about $90,000 to a real hearse collector...There are only two restored ones in existence out of 4 made...His is unrestored in very good drivable condition...All original too,woth more than the restored one..And he still won't tell me how much he got it for...And to think,he wanted to cut it up...If he does,I'll cut him,cut him good...

27. rodknocker

rodknocker

Lets start a pool to guess who the real owner is, proceeds to go to the HAMB. My guess, Mark Moriarity,and it'll be in Mad Fabricators 6!

28. attitudor

attitudor
    from Finland

Nevertheless, I would love to see a full coverage on the pages of TRJ.

29. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Moldy, thanks for all of the details. It great to hear the real story, instead of guys like *me* doubting it and thinking it was staged or a hoax.....
    Just an unbeilievable find! Way cool.

Malcolm