Register now to get rid of these ads!

drop blocks = new shocks?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by talisman, Aug 28, 2007.

1. talisman

talisman
    from Texas

I recently threw on a pair of 3 inch drop blocks on my 57. The ride quality has noticably declined. Now the shocks that are on it have probably been around since the 60s or 70s and needed to be replaced anyways, but would it provide a smoother ride if I went with a 3 inch shorter shock, or should I leave standard units in? A few years back I'd say screw it and roll the worn out ones, but these days I've got a bad back and I'm feeling every pebble I'm rolling over in the road. Opinions?

2. ray

ray
    from colorado

try to match up a gas charged shock made for lowered trucks, it will help keep the car from bottoming out, they are firmer on the compression stroke than the rebound.

3. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Same problem with my '54 Chevy Coupe. 2" blocks were fine, now with 3" blocks and bump stops cut in half it bottoms out. Will give shorter shocks a try. If that does not do the trick will add one of those bolt on leaves to stiffen things up without raising it. A good sway bar might help too, which I need no matter what the final set up will be. Too cheap to get new springs now, since will bag it when $$ shows up.

4. draggin ass

draggin ass
    BANNED
    from hell

shock mounts are mounted on the bottom of the leaf arent they? unless you took leafs out it shouldnt make any difference.

5. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

The blocks add leverage to the spring, increasing the reaction from the spring, in addition to hitting the bumpstops.

6. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

I think hes asking if he should put stock length shocks in, or 3" shorter to match the 3" blocks. That said, the location from frame mount to mount plate under the rear axle doesnt change, just the position of the rear in relation to the body so stock units would work.

I replaced mine in my Merc after 4" blocks. I used to be tough and not care, but man that thing drove soooo much better with the new shocks in. 1000% worth it.

7. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

short answer... get some new shocks, stock length if you're leaves aren't sagging or missing.

8. talisman

talisman
    from Texas

Didn't take any leaves out. Thanks for the advice guys.