Register now to get rid of these ads!

Opinions on leaf Springs, coil overs, or torsion bar rear for RPU?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JPMACHADO, Aug 25, 2007.

1. JPMACHADO

JPMACHADO
    from Not Listed

I'm getting ready to build my rear frame rail kick ups for the RPU chassis I just started. The front end is going to have torsion bars. The rear end still needs to be decided. Becasue of the RPU set up I have a lot of room in the rear for what ever I want. Frankly, I just don't know enough to decide. Each one of these choices seems like it'd be cool. Are there disadvantages to one of these over the others? The car may be run down the strip, but it will be mostly a common driver with about 380 HP. thanks for any advise

I'm editing to add I'm looking for something that is low maintenance as well.

2. draggin ass

draggin ass
    BANNED
    from hell

well my opinion is, traditional single leaf and wishbone looks the best and most period correct. but as far as function goes it sucks. in fact most people on here will freak out if you post one with wishbones(at least they did mine...). so if you want it to look 50s, and dont care about pissing everyone off then go traditional. if you want to keep the wheels planted you need to get a 4 link with coil springs.

3. Flatman

Flatman

Are you making the rear crossmember? A transverse leaf spring set up might crowd the bed of your RPU from below whereas a coil over set up with four link should let you keep the box unmolested.

A "common driver" with 380HP?:eek: :D

Flatman

4. JPMACHADO

JPMACHADO
    from Not Listed

Yes, I'm making everything. When I say leafs I mean parallell leafs. The only reason I called it a common driver is I've seen some guys on here making 500+ HP for racing applications. Even with the 380 HP that'll be top end limit I never use.

5. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

I think for the best ride, parallel leafs. I had coilovers on my 32' 3 window and they were too easy to bottom out. Plus, I had to have them rebuilt twice for leaking. Fortunately, they were guaranteed for life.

6. Notorious

Notorious

No argument here. My daily driver makes over 380 HP at the rear wheels. Not only does it drive like a baby carriage in normal driving, you'll probably call me a liar if I tell you it gets 26 MPG + on the highway and 15 MPG in town. You just gotta love electronic engine management....

7. JPMACHADO

JPMACHADO
    from Not Listed

This is the kind of info I was wondering about. I have some QA1 coilovers on the back of my scratch built roadster right now. I haven't been that impressed with the difference between them and the leafsprings on my daily driver truck. Also, I hear from a lot of people that coilovers leak all the time. Thanks

8. lawrence

lawrence
    from Bamalama

QA1? Those are high dollar racing shocks correct? If you don't mind me asking, how much?

9. Candy-Man

Candy-Man

If you are going to take it down the 1320', only my opinion, use the coil overs.... Second option, parallel leaf springs.....

10. JPMACHADO

JPMACHADO
    from Not Listed

I have them front and rear. They were pricey. I think around $140 for the rears and twice that for the fronts. I had already started the build before I found the HAMB. The coilovers are nice, but they really stick out, and there's too much adjustment for my lazy ass.

11. old dirt tracker

old dirt tracker
    from phoenix

look at the oem manfactures for your answer. parallel leafs.

12. bonesy

bonesy

Leaf Springs