Register now to get rid of these ads!

Should Jimmy paint his truck?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by the-rodster, Aug 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. doozcoupe

doozcoupe

Is this a redo of the Possum Van ??

2. Byron Crump

Byron Crump

Problem with this is the Kid has been changed over time...not in as major a way as going from bare metal to paint, but it has been changed.

I liked the kid better with the red steelies for example.

And even if Pete signs Jimmy's check, it is still his truck.

From what I am seeing it appears they did a middle ground kind of thing...Jimmy got the mill he wanted and frame stuff black but it still has the bare metal thing going on. I doubt if they are going to pull it apart again since it is on the road again.

Either way it is still a killer truck...me personally, I have always wanted to see it finished all the way in paint but no matter what he does the truck is a legend and I can spend hours looking at it still.

3. It looked like he cut the cowl vent,not the rear window to me!

4. flatheadhero

flatheadhero
    from California

I think he should scrap the paint idea...and go with a more "traditional" grass job.

Attached Files:

5. Oilcan Harry

Oilcan Harry
    from INDY

I think we should all just mind our own business. Its his truck.

6. Jim Beam

Jim Beam
    from St. George

Yeah, he should paint it. He said it was bare steel because he wanted to make sure he had it the way he wanted it before finishing, now he has the final vision ready to be completed. Sounds like most of the builds i have seen, now its time to finish it...

7. 33 ply 440

33 ply 440
    from mn

we all here what poeple say . BUT! at the end of the day we are going to do it , Who's way ? Gloss or Flate (it's got to be Black ) !!

8. Should Jimmy paint his truck?
    No, he should paint MY TRUCK!

9. DIRTYDAG

DIRTYDAG
    from cleveland

I already see the sheep leading him over the "Sell Out" cliff....

It IS his hot rod....he'll do what he wants... but it is an Icon and should be preserved...

Now would you go see Ala Kart if someone took it and refabbed it back to stock and painted it grey? Or would the beatnik bandit still be as cool if someone took the bubble away and put a vw roof on it and made it look different? The ZZ top car painted green? California Kid painted red? they would lose their identities!

Jimmy Shines ride was identifiable...you went to a show and automatically knew whos car it was and what car it was..Blown flatty and and gloss black ....you wouldnt know who that truck belonged to if you saw it at a show...Sure it woul look bad ass but it already did...buy another truck and build another legend...dont fuck the Icon up!

10. KernCountyKid

KernCountyKid
    from Arkansas

how many people have to ask who jimmy is before someone posts a picture?

11. RustyRedRam

RustyRedRam

I guess this is what I miss not having cable . . . Oh well. That's all I have to say about this thread.

12. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Lets back up here for a minute. Remember when he put the wheels on it? Almost everyone here BLASTED the idea, saying he "fucked" up a fabulous truck. Now almost everyone is on the hunt for "artillery" type wheels and would send him to hell if he changed the wheels again.
    Again, the most insignificant thing has brought out the HAMB drama/debate club over what is REALLY a trivial matter. Don't think it's trivial? You REALLY need to get a life. His truck, his decision and when the smoke clears there will be another drama/debate about his pass to hell or his impending sainthood.:eek: :D :D

Frank

Ps, Just noticed that there have been 131 posts on this thread. I must have been mistaken, this REALLY is an important matter. Probably best to sit on the edge of my seat and wait the outcome. Or, go take a nap. Decisions, decisions!!

13. 53burb

53burb

The guy set his truck in stone. He is going to do so again with it in a finished stage. I myself, is looking to see what it will look like with the rebuilt motor that is blown w/ a paint job and black is the way to go to show all the lines on it. Just my .02 KNUX!

14. Saubo Nasty

Saubo Nasty

You know the shows aren't live right?
    What is done is done... don't matter what we say; can't change it now.

15. Hooligansince65

Hooligansince65
    from Chicago

The guy next door wants to paint his house. What a jerk off thinking for him self. He should have gotten on The H.A.M.B. and asked all of you what to do and how to do it.

16. Justin B

Justin B

here's a couple pics of it with the frame painted up at the L.A. roadster show. i have no clue if he's planning on painting the body too or leaving it as is. personally i would like to see it painted, but i like change. if it was a historic race car or an origional 40-50's hot rod i could see not repainting it, but it's just an unfinnished modern day hotrod yes it set some trends and looks great but it's not finnished to jimmy so you have to respect that he actually wants to finnish it.

i have met jimmy a few times and yes he's a little cocky (ok alot) would i want him as a close friend, probably not, but i deffinetly respect his skills as a builder.

[​IMG]

oh yeah the h&h blown flathead sounds great

[​IMG]

17. jbon64

jbon64
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

holy shit !!!! that couldnt have been said any better

18. nailheadroadster

nailheadroadster

It's tough for me to side with either opinion. Pete is right, the truck is an icon in the hotrodding world. But, I can understand wanting to move forward with the build because it is not what Jimmy envisioned from the start. Would I make drastic changes to it? Probably not. Would I wanna go back and change what I never thought was right from the start? Oh yeah!

When that truck came out it set the rodding world on it's ear. Like it or not, I have never met anyone that didn't respect it for what it was and the talent it took to not only build it but also envision it. Hence the reason this is such a talked about subject.

Be it what it is... I would have to leave the truck with it's overall character and probably build a second one of what I really wanted from the start. But, I am not, nor will I ever achieve, the Jimmy Shine status so it really doesn't matter at all what I think or what I would do.

19. JamesG

JamesG

Only thing I'd do is lose the wheels. I've NEVER liked them. I liked the ones that were on it before them better.

But it's not mine, so who cares what he does wid it!

BTW, I wanna know what he's been putting on it to keep it so rust free and can now paint it.....?

20. by far, easily, the dumbest thread posted this year.

21. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

it ain't painted, close the thread.

22. matthew mcglothin

matthew mcglothin

im with him

23. 35ratbstr

35ratbstr
    from Colorado

One thing about it, if he paints it it might stand out and be alittle different!

24. DashEight

DashEight
    from Seattle WA

Sure. Paint it, or don't paint it. The world would still turn.

25. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

Seeing as this caused such an uproar you all probably won't be very happy that he shaved his head a few weeks ago- I mean his HAIR is an Icon that needs to be "preserved" too- right? ;)

26. I just got a little teary-eyed... Where was Pete!

27. And for all those who are really worried it will still be bare steel under all the paint :D

28. Grinderspark

Grinderspark

I would paint the truck in a heartbeat.
    7 years ago it was unique. It stood out and got the recognition.
    Now it seems like every swingin' dick and their red headed step sons are building or driving a bare metal car or truck, or a version of one. Alot of folks jumped on that fad of a bandwagon.
    Shine's truck is lost in the crowd now. Time for a tear down and re-do until it stands apart from the others once again. IMHO.

29. slammed

slammed

Flush it..............

30. Jet Doc

Jet Doc

I think he should tar and feather it!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.