Register now to get rid of these ads!

Where do you shop for a project?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ItalianStallion, Aug 24, 2007.

1. ItalianStallion

ItalianStallion
    from Jersey

I'm in the process of looking around for a project. Where do you find yours? Ebay motors seems like it's geared more towards the "finished" car scene, and craigslist doesn't have too much going on.

Where do you look??

2. Wowcars

Wowcars

Everywhere. All the time. In the 'Farmers Section' of the paper. Back alleys in town. Back roads in the country. Hell I even found the front clip to a '40 Ford Std in a State Park. Always keeping an eye out.

3. Horsepower67

Horsepower67

Have you checked the For Sale section here on the HAMB? There's always good stuff in there.

4. I look in the classifieds here, I've bought and sold here, I haven't had an issue with any HAMBers and I don't get the stup questions that typically come with listing stuff on ebay.....

"does that 1952 4 door sedan trim fit my 1958 2 door wagon"

In fact I have my Pontiac 2 door in the FS section right now and I try to plug our HAMB friendly car shippers in the HAMB-o-dex when I have the opportunity, this is a "one stop - shoot the shit, shop and swap"

s.

5. Tin Can

Tin Can

Everywhere I go I am on the lookout.

6. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Get a city map. Mark your house as the center point and make a grid or concentric circles on it. Attach to a clipboard with a spriral bound notebook and start making the streets, one at a time, preferably on yardwork day, working out from your house. You'll be amazed what you can find in your own back yard.
    I was coming home from work one day and met a pickup pulling a trailer down MY Street 2 blocks from home. I stopped him and asked where he picked up that very nice 40 Ford DeLuxe coupe. He got it 2 blocks over from my house where it had been sleeping in the garage for the last 15 years and never built.

7. EL BOZITO

EL BOZITO
    from EAST BAY

i found a 31 roadster body, damn near perfect with a tri power setup, custom hood, and a chopped 32 shell on clist for 1500 cash. i looked everyday on there for over a year, maybe closer to 2 years until i found it. look in garages, country roads, everywhere!! they are out there!

8. patgizz

patgizz
    from cleveland

my projects find me and follow me home.

9. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

1.Look to yourself and figure out what you want first.
    then you could put a ad in the wanted section on here.
    2.Type in (parts car)or(project) in parts and accesories on ebay and see what you find.
    3.Take a road trip and see what you can find,That would be the most fun even if you dont find exactly what your lookin for.

10. i look in texas
    its farther than hell away from me
    but i see more nice stuff there
    tk

11. bobw

bobw

Last few projects:
    Crosley - Tip from a friend that it was in a junkyard
    '35 International Cab - eBay
    '38 GMC Cab - call from a friend wanting to know if it was worth $37.50 to me.
    '28 Chrysler 4 door body - eBay
    '38 Dodge Pick up - junkyard
    '25 Dodge Coupe - gift from a sick friend who couldn't build it and wants to see it done.

12. MeanMike

MeanMike

Last week I bought a '51 merc coupe off craigslist for 4g's. She's rough, but complete. I was checking craigslist on a whim,not where I would have normally looked. You never know, deals are everywhere. Keep lookin' and good luck!

13. Firetop

Firetop
    from chicago

Just get behind the wheel and check your hood. I just stumbled across a 46 Ford rusting its life away in a field close to home. Soon as I get the cash its coming home.

14. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

"SHOP" ??? you shop for bra's and underwear,,not projects :p

Most good projects will find you ;)

15. Capt. Turk

Capt. Turk

How much do you want to spend, how much work do want to do and how old do you want to go.

16. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

What is your favorite car regardless of what you think it might cost?

17. DrJ

DrJ

"ItalianStallion"?

Joisey?

Just do a Craig's list search for '78 TRANS AM...
    :D

Seriously, find any car that is the basic type you want to eventually have that has legal paperwork and is registered to drive and change what isn't "you"

I found mine in the throw away paper "PennySaver".

18. ItalianStallion

ItalianStallion
    from Jersey

My first choice of a car would be a '55 - '57 Chevy. My second choice would be any Chevy that is prior to '57 (just about any). My third choice, although unpractical I think even for a rolling chassis junker, would be an early '40s Cadillac. Love them, and you don't see a lot of them with some pretty radical stances all rodded up. But I think a Cadillac might be out of the question for pricing. It would be different though.

What do you think?

19. usedall9

usedall9

From the drivers seat!!! Ruber-neck'n it. It really helps if your not zooming around. I just kinda take the long way to everything cruz'n nice and slow enjoying the ride, and then once in a while I slam on the brakes(thinking to my self) "Is that what I think it was". Probably looks alot like I'm watching a tennis match.Haha

20. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Tri five chevys are plentiful if you look hard enough:D and would be easy to find parts for.
    I have a 55 2 door sedan and a 55 4 door wagon myself (the wagon needs a lot of attention)
    I owned and fixed up a 4 door 55 then sold it because I realy wanted a 2 door and then traded around and have been through a few 2 door 55s but to tell you the truth I enjoyed the 4 door just as much if not more than these other 2 door cars I have had
    The 4 doors can be just as cool to me for a lot less money,( 4 door values have gained on the 2s some in recent years though) but that is also something to consider when you get ready to sell???

The caddy would be more unique but would be harder to find parts for unless you bought a decent complete one to start with.

21. old dirt tracker

old dirt tracker
    from phoenix

if you live in a metro area your best bet is your own area. i have found what i am looking for more than once by placing wanted adds in the news paper. one benefit of this is you are dealing with somebody looking to sell.

22. I shop here:

Attached Files:

23. ItalianStallion

ItalianStallion
    from Jersey

Unfortunately the areas I live in don't have the plush fields full of faded glory looking to be revived on a whole new level.

24. While you may have not found "fields" of old tin, respectfully I call bullshit to there not being any in your area, your just not looking hard enough.

2 months ago there was a post regarding 2 "fields" in upstate NY, and before you whine about the distance to upstate NY, my last project came from the outer reaches of Montana 450 miles away. So even though we have more than our share here in Montana, you still have to go aways for the good ones.

Another post from your area was about a hardtop olds hidden in a garage in the middle of row of brownstone apartments for decades.

I bought my first project 4 miles from the middle of downtown Seattle.

s.

25. oktr6r

oktr6r
    from Tulsa

I've been told elsewhere, and post there, that I'm "Project Magnet #1" . I don't find them, they find me.

A buddy in Arkansas has found 4 of my British bike basket cases at great prices.

Co-worker sold me the Fiat I'm currently building for next to nothing, and tossed in a '72 Yamaha 500 2 stroke.

An email list I run was the source for my Dodge panel truck.

My FIL called and asked if we wanted to come get the '68 4 door Nova that was my wife's great aunt's car. It had just under 84,000 miles and was garage kept. I've put close to 5,000 miles on it since I got it earlier this year, it's my daily driver.

My '68 Chevy pickup was bought from my grandparents after they mentioned that several family members wanted it, but none had the $700 they were asking.

26. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

You bought that thing? No shit...hope it finally gets put together. That thing has been passed around like a joint at a Dead show haha.

27. teddyp

teddyp

there are tons of projects in jersezy what part of the state are you in ? go to cruze nites talk to people go to lead east check the for sale on hamb (best site for projects) good luck on the hunt:D