Register now to get rid of these ads!

"Super Wildcat" 425

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Omega, Aug 24, 2007.

1. Omega

Omega
    from Mass

So..I have a lead on a Super Wildcat dual quad buick 425 engine..still bolted to its super turbine 400.. Cast iron dual quad intake and carter carbs still intact. Less than 200 made in 1966, down side is the engine is very..very rusty. I will buy it if im able to, and play my cards and hope it isnt stuck.. if it is stuck well then... il have to free it up :p

sorry no pics... but i will get some if im able to.

-Ryan

2. leadsled01

leadsled01

You don't really want that rusty pos do you? Alright ,I'll take it off your hands and dispose of it properly. lol

3. that is the holy grail of nail heads and the best engine trans combo that Buick ever built. even as a core it will be worth it's weight in parts. IMHO......Jim

4. Lee Martin

Lee Martin

Great motors with a load of torque at 2,800....even with radical cams, they're still stump pullers in the low-end. Here's a 401 I just finished:

[​IMG]

5. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

I'm a douche, I passed up one in a complete car for $600, I suck, I'm stupid.

6. rainh8r

rainh8r

i found one in a brown 4dr hardtop sitting in a wrecking yard years ago. I'd seen the car in there for months, and nothing was taken off it anywhere. I was looking for throttle linkage and opened the hood-what a suprise! Totally complete and untouched. I asked the yard owner what he wanted for the engine, and when I told him what it was, he was out the door and past me before I finished. He had a 63 Riv he was working on and that 425 was dangling on a hook in 15 minutes.

7. You said it! I just agree with you.....Jim

8. fleetbob50

fleetbob50
    from Waco,Texas

A friend just sold a factory original dual quad on ebay for a little over 800 bucks so anything less and the engine would be free!

9. Lee Martin

Lee Martin

Yes, that's the factory color from the 1950's. It's available from Hirsch Automotive:

www.hirschauto.com/

You have to shoot it with a gun, but it's by far the best engine paint I've ever used.

-Lee
    www.atomicpinup.com

10. nailheadroadster

nailheadroadster

A Super Wildcat 425??!!!! You Bastage!! That's pretty frickin yummy right there!!!

11. ZZ-IRON

ZZ-IRON
    from Minnesota

I also heard from a lot of guys the 66 motor's & trans were the best

12. leadsled01

leadsled01

Ya, its basically the switch-pitch trans that is one bad mother!

13. sharkeymark

sharkeymark
    from Texas

I have a Super Wildcat Riviera GS and a Wildcat 465 Riviera;)

The 2x4 one is undergoing frame on restoration currently.
    rough shape currently. It is a Rivera Red Vinyl top rally wheel 2x4
    reclining bucket seat with long console power windows seats am fm
    power antenna, remote mirror, cornering light car. only options it
    doesn't have is the power door locks and retractable service light.

My other Riv is a Riviera Gold which some repainted plum with fawn
    interior which is a mess code 653r it is also a power bucket seat
    long consule car with the standard wildcat 465 engine

My Toronado is Trumpet Gold Deluxe not too impressively optioned
    but nicely frame on restored. 39k original miles very easily proved up.

all above are 1966

kbgreen likes this.
  14. sharkeymark

sharkeymark
    from Texas

Mine doesn't have the "offy" valve covers has the original polished aluminum
    ribbed and that monster super wildcat dual snorkel air cleaner. I am rebuilding it
    currently and adding a ribbed valley cover and polished stainless bolt kit hei distributor head flow work taller cam and 1.9 ratio rollers. Adding some chrome
    accessories such as alternator and radiator cover. Just a slight dress up.

15. Rarefish383S

Rarefish383S

I'm an absolute, diehard Mopar guy, but, some where in the late 70's early 80's I bought a 64 Riv from a friends little brother. He bought it from his high school's auto shop. It was donated for the kids to work on. It was a full opted car. I don't think they had a Riv GS in 64. It had 425 dual quad, alum. valve covers, giant chrome air cleaner, AM/FM, power ant., power seats, power windows including the wing windows, auto head light dimmer, finned alum wheel covers, air, cruise. If Buick offered it it was in there. By far and away it was one of the coolest cars I have ever owned. That monster would run 14's all day and eat the so called performance cars of the late 70's alive. The most fun I ever had with it was trouncing one of those Smokey and the Bandit turbo 6 Trans Am's. Maybe he just chickened out, but I was real close to pegging the 140 speedo. That's the fastest I've ever been in one of my street cars. Maybe the old chicken out got to me after that, Joe.

16. oldiron73

oldiron73
    from WISCONSIN

Nice job on the engine-these engines look good in anything.

17. Johnny Drag

Johnny Drag

A few pics of our just driven '32 Highboy with '63 401 Wildcat with 2x4's, GS+ cam, MSD ignition, and Sanderson headers running through a Muncie M-21 and 9" Ford rear end with 3.70 gears.
    To say it runs well is an understatement - enough to blur your vision in all four gears - and at 70 mph in 4th gear you are right in the peak of the torque curve - 2800 rpm.
    We were going to build a 63 "Corvette" type solid lifter small block, but decided to do something different. Getting the nailhead to fit into the car presented many challenges - like keeping a "simple" mechanical clutch linkage and getting the brake pedal to not hit the starter.
    We were fortunate to have excellent advice from Jimmy Shine at SoCal Speedshop in Pomona, inspiration and beautiful craftsmanship from Danny Burroughs at Bruce's Rod Shop in Spring, TX on the frame engine mount, buick brake drum machining and beautiful work from Bob Gleim of Bakersfield, Ca on the "shuffled' 2 in. forward motor and trans mounts and clutch linkage - Bob is a recent winner of the Grand Marshall's Award at the Bakersfield March Meet for his 30 Highboy. We also did one heck of an amount of research on Nailheads - there are alot of "posers" and "experts" out there - BEWARE!!!!!
    We also received consistant motivation and encouragement from our fellow Houston Roadsters - my 14 year old son Blake and I did all the rest of the work....now we get to drive it and have fun!

Attached Files:

18. 4cfed

4cfed
    BANNED
    from wisconsin

my 65 olds had a 425 super rocket and the switch pitch!! its sweet shit! kinda gives ya the feel the trans slipped the first time you romp on it.. than the tires start smoking and all you do is :eek::D:cool:

19. Degreased and ready for details and coating.

Attached Files:

20. Rick & Jan

Rick & Jan

I kept this when I sold my '66 Riv. Been sitting on the shelf for 35 years! IMG_0449[1867].jpg

41 coupe likes this.