Register now to get rid of these ads!

Should Jimmy paint his truck?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by the-rodster, Aug 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

its funny, the conversation between Pete and Jimmy sounded alot like ones between my dad and I about my roadster....
    i got the thing done enough to drive it at the jalopyshowdown 2 years ago and i never really finished it how i wanted...
    now its a pull back and forth between redoing it how i wanted or leaving it be.....
    tough call!
    Zach

2. Monkey

Monkey
    from Owasso, OK

Progression = change. He's simply doing what we have all been doing over the years. One step at a time...one day at a time.

monkey

3. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

4. cwatson1953

cwatson1953

granted i dig the "bare metal thing",...but i also dig paint.
    either way, its still a bad ass truck.

shit, it's his truck, he can paint it bright fucking pink with care bears painted on the tail gate for all i care....it's his.:D

5. I guess I didn't understand the question. I NEVER watch TV, so I didn't know about the show and all the drama. My answer still remains the same ....Jim

6. Yes... but only where it isn't visible... like under the cab and box.:D

I gotta agree with Pete... leave it alone or sell it for a fortune as it sits... then build another one... the way you want. Hell... he could buy his wife a beach house with the leftover cash.

In the end... it's his car so I say do what makes you happy.

I've already picked out the paint for my next ride. Spicy Brown Mustard Metal Flake.... wonder if anyone makes it?:)

7. SaltCityCustoms

SaltCityCustoms

I think it's a good idea to paint the truck especially if its on the show for everyone to see it happen, it kind of puts the truck back in the limelight and gives it more history. I'm sure it will be in a magazine with a big story on what it was and what changes have been made to it now.

8. Smith79

Smith79

he could change that truck every seven years and the magazines would be tripping over themselves to cover it, so does it matter if he paints it, not at all.

9. Broman

Broman
    from an Island

I agree with Kevin.

It's the components and the way they are put together that makes the truck look right.

If he had painted it instead of leaving it bare from the start - it would still have been a signature hot rod.

And I bet if he really goes through with it - it'll be sweet.

If it was my truck - I'd want to paint it. But that's just because of all of the also ran bare metal cars that keep coming up after the fact.

So many people have copied this style - that I'd want to prove that the truck should be known for more than just being "finished" in bare metal.

But that's just me.

10. Kustomz

Kustomz

11. TxRat

TxRat

meh, its time for a change ....

paint it and drive it...

12. Candy-Man

Candy-Man

Only my opinion, which will not buy you a cup of coffee, however; who cares! Its a real nice truck, its TV drama and I'm sick of hearing the term rat rod or the few cars that are true rat rods (unsafe junk with no floor boards, etc.)

13. swingcatt

swingcatt

oh cool. I didn't know the guy telling him not to do it was the California Kid Pete. Learn something every day....

14. 3Deuce40

3Deuce40
    from Colorado

I saw the truck at the LA Roadster show with the frame painted black. Thought it looked good. I'm not a flathead guy, but that one of his sounded and looked bitchin'.

15. 36couper

36couper
    from ontario

I want to know why he was cutting the back window out. Wonder what the plans are.
    If he paints it flat or satin black, he will still have to deal with the rat label. High gloss is the only way to go to avoid that problem.

16. RICKY MCGREGOR

RICKY MCGREGOR
    from wichita ks

Im like the other guy WHO CARES.

17. Brewton

Brewton

I agree, he needs to paint it high gloss black. Most uneducated idiots think if a car is bare metal or a flat color - it is a rat rod.

18. DYNODANNY

DYNODANNY

just like any hot rodder your car is never finished, it's an ICON but hey its not our hot rod. I say do as you like, show these rat rodders the difference.

19. I dissagree. The reason it generated so much interest was the fact that it was the first, or one of the first, bare metal builds. Yes it would still be a really nice well proportioned hot rod That people would have thought was cool but I doubt it would have achieved the attention it did had it been painted from the start.

I do agree, however, that it is his to do with what he likes and he has said all along that he didn't consider it finished and that he wanted to paint it. It does bring up the question to me though at what point or does a iconic car get to the point where it is sacralige to make any major changes to it?

20. BigDaddySteamRoller

BigDaddySteamRoller
    from Phila, PA

Wouldn't it have already been painted & on the road??? This show was taped a few months ago wasn't it??

21. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

22. jamcoupe

jamcoupe

Who gives a shit about what an uneducated idiot thinks????

23. spudz

spudz

I would be pissed if someone tryed to tell me what to do with MY truck... I really hope that he does what HE WANTS to do with it and doesn't listen to everybody else....

24. tikidiablo

tikidiablo
    from so cal

Most likely painted by now. We were there months back and the truck was getting worked on then. Same time they were working on the elco.

p.s. ............. Littleman rules!

25. Swifster

Swifster

The guy has had a vision of what he wanted it to be. He's simply finishing the truck to his vision. He built it and it's his truck. If the engine is an indication, it's going to look great.

26. HOTRODRUBBER

HOTRODRUBBER

What was applied to the surface for the "Bare" look?
    ATF,Marvels Mystery Oil?
    Can you paint over that Shit?
    Of course it will take alot of Prep but still.
    And of course I would not paint it any color.
    Only Black.

Cody

27. Here's what I'd do. Put it through Barret Jackson so that a "custodian" gets it for a boatload of scratch. Take the whopping stack of cash and buy land, anywhere. Keep a shorty stack on the side and build whatever the hell he wants.

28. Firetop

Firetop
    from chicago

We can talk all we want but at the end its just wasted air. Its his- he can do what he wants. I think the basic rule always applies- build what you want to build not what others think you should build. And no matter what he does it will just be an enhancement to a timeless killer ride. Nuff said.

29. gary terhaar

gary terhaar
    from oakdale ny

If jimmy paints it its for reasons that only jimmy really knows.I myself think he should paint it after seeing a way cooler car on the show in bare metal he needs to step it up ,.........................The car is littlemans deaths doorstep..............its hemi envy....i know,i have it too.

30. MarkX

MarkX
    from ...TX

whatever he did................ He already DID IT!.................... that was filmed like 6 months ago,,,,,,,,,,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.