Register now to get rid of these ads!

Should Jimmy paint his truck?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by the-rodster, Aug 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. the-rodster

the-rodster

I kinda agree with Pete.

It's like painting the California Kid - red.

It will lose it's identity.

What do you guys think?

Rich

2. draggin ass

draggin ass
    BANNED
    from hell

id be really sick of hearing "ratrod" all the time too. i dont think it woulda been bare metal back in the day..... i say paint it.

3. '51Plymouth

'51Plymouth
    from York, PA

He can do whatever he wants to do...it's his damn truck. If he wants to paint it lavender with a yellow splash graphic and 20" billet wheels, who are we to stop him?

4. Flatman

Flatman

I'd paint it. It may never rain in California, but that thing would never last up here:D
    Of course, I'd also bring the body back up a few inches do something better with the grill, but that's just me.
    He's definitely going in the right direction with the engine.

Flatman

5. RockyMtnPits

RockyMtnPits

Who cares?

His truck=his choice.

6. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

I could see both sides of the argument. The truck is an icon of sorts but I love what he said about "rat rods" uuugggggg I can't believe I caid the "r" word. I would hate people saying that about my car.

Paint it if he wants. Its his truck. I'm sure it will be amazing in the end no matter what.

7. draggin ass

draggin ass
    BANNED
    from hell

i still cant believe he let that girl weld the frame! if you look at her welds she was going way to fast and didnt have enough filler rod in it.

anyway, sorry to get off topic....

8. that truck went to the head of the class in style and trend setting. it has the potential to go all the way to way to a classic hot rod.
    I wouldn't paint it red, I think it could continue being built and refined and up graded. as long as Jimmy owns it. kind of a modern Doane Spencer. if it was sold it would have to remain as is. or go down the tube like a Rudy truck.

9. dragrcr50

dragrcr50

Cars were meant to be painted, after all it is his car .Its like telling some of these guys you cant flake the roof, he he, its there car....

10. SHRUM

SHRUM

MMMMMMM Blown Flathead. MMMMMMM Sounded Great.

11. GreggAz

GreggAz

I dont know why I am getting in on this, But from the day he got it on the road he has had plans to paint it. I dont know about now, but at first he was leaning towards black

12. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

Hell, he said he drove it 7 years with just tack welds ........????? WTF!!!!!

13. swingcatt

swingcatt

Trendsetters, by definition, don't just sit back on what they've built and let it be the trend, because eventually they'll be at the bottom of the pile. That rod has been photographed so much, that it'll live forever no matter what he does to it.

That being said, I was involved a few years ago with some consulting for the Extreme Home Makeover show and have a real bad view of reality shows in general now. Trust me, there is SO much more going on behind the scenes...I wouldn't be surprised if thats just a well done replica that they are working on and the real rod is stored away somewhere safe and sound. Don't know fer sure...just saying it could be, knowing how much BS that's involved with reality tv.

Anyway, that dude on the show saying its a big mistake needs to STFU, it's his show, his rod, his career, to make OR break.

14. draggin ass

draggin ass
    BANNED
    from hell

YEAH! i heard that too! WTF! sure makes me feel better about my shit...

15. Harms Way

Harms Way

First thing that came to mind, Was He should sell it to one of those guys that can afford a 30 grand paint job,... with all of it's publicity he could get a small fortune (a.k.a. "stupid money") for it,...... buy another truck and build his vision from scratch,...... But that's just me.

16. Wowcars

Wowcars

Thats what I've always heard. As long as this is true and it becomes black, then YES. By all means Jimmy, paint it black.

17. 41woodie

41woodie

Of course it's drama for tv, but the attitude of the girl is surprisingly common these days. "We should all be equal" "Just because you own the business why should your opinion be more important than mine". That combined with her work ethic of "well it looks good enough to me, who cares if the welds run different direction". I'm not singling her out because she's a girl, just the attitude will keep her going from job to job her entire life unless she grows up and figures out what's going on.

18. chrisman

chrisman

Most historic hot rods and customs have evolved over time, change is simply a part of their nature.

19. The dude on the show saying don't paint it is a hot rodding legend and is speaking from experience. he is Pete Chapouris and his car is the California Kid. I probably woudn't have put the truck on the road without paint, but it is a trendsetter in bare metal. I get the impression he put it on the road as it was because he was anxious to drive the blamed thing and ended up starting the "rat rod" trend. I hate the term but it is the one that set the standard without any intention by the builder of doing such.
    On the subject of Pete Chapouris, I think he still signs Jimmy's paycheck. Isn't Jimmy still an employee of SoCal?

20. Firecracker

Firecracker

I would like to see it painted black. I missed the episode last night which sucks because that about the only reality tv show that I try to watch. Does anyone know when there will be a re-run?

21. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

1) Haven't seen the show.

2) It's a really smart hot rod that happens to be bare metal right now. Paint won't change it's identity.

22. KooDaddy

KooDaddy
    from Wis.

I think he should re-do his grill to look like that chicks grill that should start a new trend:D

23. Preacher

Preacher
    Member Emeritus

i hope your right and it is a replica... with all the resources they have, i wonder why they don't just get another one and make it the way jimmy wants it?

obviously it is his truck... but i was really hearing pete

24. superjunkman

superjunkman
    from Austin, TX

I say paint it. I think bare metal has about run it's course. He needs to beat every body to the next big thing. A paint job.

25. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

I didnt see the show, Fell Asleep to early...........

But it really dont matter what he does to that truck, And it really isnt the truck at all .... ITS JIMMY SHINE !!!

No matter what he builds, paints, or otherwise... There will be a million people at his feet telling him How Cool he is & How Bitchen his Car is.

So many people out there stroke JIMMY SHINE that he could paint that truck Pepto Bismol Pink and every one would want to shake his hand & tell him what a trend setter he is for that.

Just like when ROBERT WILLAMS painted his bitchen '32 purple & green...WTF ?

26. draggin ass

draggin ass
    BANNED
    from hell

but a blown and bored flathead willl.......

27. Big Tony

Big Tony

Well it is his truck and after so long some people just have to change things a bit. If the rest of the truck goes the way he changed the flatty then whoa nelly look out cause its gonna make history again

28. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

No... it won't.

29. garysgun

garysgun

Paint it black with red wheels and some pin striping it will look great. I am glad I got to see the frame and his under the seat frame work he has. I need to do that on my future project. I think the blower is neat but it looks too modern to me. The truck rewelded and painted and put back together would of been my choice. Gary M.
    PS: I think I heard who was the person that will be hired there is. Could it be the tatoos???

30. Jimmy said the truck has been running around in his in head for 15 years. You know he sees a painted version when he shuts his eyes. I don't blame him. He can probably afford to do it like he wants it now. I'd do it too.

If he sold it to me & I painted it, that would be nuts..... but as long as Jimmy is the one making the (tasteful & traditional) changes that fit the truck & it's style, I don't see how him painting it is going to matter much.

As far as paint being the next "in" thing........ it always has been.

JH

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.