Register now to get rid of these ads!

Homemade Fishtails sorta

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lobucrod, Aug 19, 2007.

1. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

Ive been looking for some fishtails and all I can find are the ones made for motorcycles that are like 1-3/4" diameter. While Im at the swaps I'm always looking for stuff to make something cool out of. I ran across these cast aluminum exhaust tips that I think were off of a trans am. Looked like they would work so I finally got some time to play with them.
    [​IMG]

After cutting with the band saw ( hope this makes some trans am restorer ill :) )
    [​IMG]

After adding some elbow grease with a file to remove casting lines and cast in numbers, and a little belt sanding (lots more to go)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Im just hoping I can keep them from having that 'Billet' look.. but then I could probably make a few bucks on them on Egay.

2. Good eyes!! And by that I mean I've seen those tips 100's of times and cutting them down never crossed my mind.

As for the 'billet' concern, don't worry about that. Polish 'em up nice and enjoy.

3. zimm

zimm
    from iowa

good idea..... there on quite a few gm cars

4. Lil' Billy

Lil' Billy
    from Georgia

Oh I'm so ill now....not really. I never thought about cutting those tips either. There are lots of them lying around my area.

5. sawzall

sawzall

thanks for the post about the tip modification..

I actually found it interesting that the last 3 numbers of the part number are O1A.. which is the prefix for 1940 ford part numbers..

so.. just how big is the front of the tube coming into the front of this tip?

could it be 2 inch?

or 2.5?

in addition to exhaust tips. maybe you can fashion carb scoops from the same pieces?

6. TP

TP
    from conroe tx

I think they look better than the mtorcycle ones. Got a little more meat to them. Lots at the swapmeets cheap. Good job. TP

7. Lil' Billy

Lil' Billy
    from Georgia

I'm not 100% positive but I believe they are 2.5 inch. My sister has a trans am, and I believe they are the same size.

8. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

The look more like about 2-1/4. I'll try to remember to measure one of them when I get home tonight.

9. publicenemy1925

publicenemy1925
    from OKC, OK

Smart idea indeed.

10. sololobo

sololobo

X-lent, maybe just grinder mark them with a cool swirl like pattern, no mistakin that for billet, nice idea-Atta-Boy!!-Sololobo/Roadburners of Omaha

11. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

ya know I think I'll do just that. Gonna try to get these on before heading to the HAMB drags and dont have much time to play with it.

12. rustyparts

rustyparts
    from Clinton,Mt

Just sand blast them, then you'll have that sand cast look. then you can say you made them in your own foundry.

13. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

Hell then everyone would want me to make them some.

14. Nick32vic

Nick32vic

Thats cool! Polish them

15. coopdevill65

coopdevill65
    from tac ,wa

AWSOME!! I work at a exhaust shop and have been trin to figure out a bigger tip.... you got it done for me THANX!!

16. stealthcruiser

stealthcruiser

Trans Am, or Grand Am?

17. Lil' Billy

Lil' Billy
    from Georgia

I believe they came on both. I've seen them on all the stock Trans Am's though.

18. 52RustRocket

52RustRocket

Could you give us the dimensions of the outer end? (height-width)
    Those might be usefull for the exhaust ends for a '52 Caddillac...(through the bumper).

19. sgtmcd42

sgtmcd42

I think they are cool, but I think that everyone spends way too much time concerned with "billet". just my opinion.

20. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

Those are probably 2.25, I looked into em for an O/T car and couldn't find any that were 2.5. They came on 4th gen TA. Extremely similar (or the same) are found on grand prixs and ram air grand ams of that era with dual exhaust too.

Neat idea for sure.

21. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

They fit over 2-1/4" OD pipes. Heres a pic after some grinding with a 80 grit disc
    [​IMG]

22. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

Big end is 3" by 5-1/2"

23. mackster

mackster

Nice Idea, I will be going to the junk yard this weekend and planned on to terrorizing some poor little grand-am or trans-am!:D

24. 52RustRocket

52RustRocket

Hmmm, the Cad bumpers are 1 1/2" x 6 1/4. I might be able to pie cut it down the middle and remove 1 1/2". I'll pick some up next time I see them.

25. Brilliant Lobucrod! Simple and effective. Great job!

26. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

Can you say Big Mouth Bass! PIcs a little dark but you get the idea. They're sticking out a little too far right now but im putting the bumper back on later, Tucking it up close. I think they'll be just right then.
    [​IMG]