Register now to get rid of these ads!

Bought my wife a "new" car this weekend

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by guthriesmith, Aug 20, 2007.

1. I had been looking for a 1962 convertible ??? for my wife for a while and tripped across one less than 30 miles from home last week. While I wasn't necessarily looking for a 62 Lemans, she really likes it. And, I am also kind of partial to Pontiacs and have several parts lying around for them. It had been stored in a garage in 1974 shortly after the previous owner couldn't get it running right after an engine rebuild. The floorpans are all solid as is the rest of the car. It has the 194.5 ci engine (half of a 389) and powerglide transaxle. It did come with a good grille and front valance to replace the ones that look like a tractor moved it at some point. It should be a fairly easy project and will make a good driver for her. Anyway, looks like I have another project to work on which just moved ahead of the other projects since it is for my wife.:D

Attached Files:

2. john56h

john56h

That's cool!

62 was a strange year for GM....their "compacts" were really engineered with some cutting edge "technology".

3. Nappy

Nappy
    from York, PA

That's got some great lines.
    What do you have in mind for it? Mild Custom?

Tell us more.
    And congrats on the new project, by the way.

4. rustyparts

rustyparts
    from Clinton,Mt

You don't see those every day. you'll have to post pics after your done with it!

5. Tin Can

Tin Can

gotta keep the boss happy. Will be a cool car

7. Landmule

Landmule
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's quite a find. I really like those funky old Ponchos.

8. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

Miniature car with miniature fins. Cool start. Cant wait to see the finished product. I'm sure you feel the same way. Built the X wife a 69 camaro about 25 years ago. Only project I didnt have to argue about spending money on.

9. Put bias plys on it, otherwise they handle funky, and the bolt pattern is 5 on 4.5" (small Ford).

I had a Lemans in the late 80's, I was going to do it in the style of early 60's racing sports cars, stock color with contrasting color offset racing stripe, (pale yellow with tomato red stripe) no hubcaps, blackwalls, loud exhaust... sold it to buy a Corvair conv. before I finished it.

10. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Brandy wine red(burgundy) with tan top and polished alluminum slots or cragars.

11. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Once in a while, one of the factory 4bbl. intakes surfaces for them. The Pontiac Handbook, published by HRM in 1963, has an article on how to make them handle.

12. Thanks for the info everyone. I planned on bias ply tires and will have to see if I can find the Pontiac Handbook. This car is definately a little different than others I have worked on and I have some things to learn.