Register now to get rid of these ads!

Buick 401 - overkill for a 29 Sports Coupe?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by desertdroog, Aug 12, 2007.

1. desertdroog

desertdroog

A good friend of mine has a 1965 401 out of an Electra. Says it runs and the matching TH400 to go with it. He was going to use it in his Duece project but got a screaming deal on a Cragar blower set up for a Chevy, so he is back to wanting a high revving application.

The same guy is the one I got the Sports Coupe from and he offered me the complete set up Engine and Tranny for $600. I have kept my eye on the Buick threads as they came up with more of a passing interest than scrounging for details. I saw the thread on the T-5 being too weak for a 401, but my goal is to make this 29 Model A have three pedals, regardless of the engine I put in there.

According to my BOP friends, there is speed equipment out the ying yang for these and outside of an initial rebuild cost the parts are readily available. I mostly know Ford so there is a learning curve for me.

Any gotcha's I should keep in mind?

2. Roothawg

Roothawg

There's a lot less stuff for nailheads than I expected. If it is a good running car, I'd snag it. Talk to Voodoo Jim here on the hamb, he's a diehard Buick guy and he has one in an A coupe.

3. Brandy

Brandy
    from Texas

I think all hotrods MUST have 3 pedals. The only problem I would forsee with a 401 in a 29, is that you don't have the ass/brakes to handle what that engine will do.

As long as you're willing to put up the dough for suspension to handle the weight, brakes to keep you from wearing the Toyota in front of you and a rearend to keep you motoing down the road............then why the hell not?

Buick's are expensive.....but what in this game isn't?:rolleyes: What sort of frame rails are you running? I'd be curious as to know if a torquey motor like a nailhead would twist up some of the frame rails you see on rods nowadays? Might be something to consider strapping?

4. J Man

J Man
    from Angola, IN

I would say it is too much and you should sell it to me, but you live too far away. I say go for it, there is no such thing as to big.

5. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Yeah, it's way too much motor for that car.. better let me go pick it up before someone gets hurt....

6. DirtyThirty

DirtyThirty
    from nowhere...

there is no "too much motor"
    only not enough car...
    keep it mild,and the benefit will be that it will also be cheap, and reliable. The cubes will help it make a bit of torque, so you can plant it a little, without having to over do it...
    of course, its all how ya' drive it, too...

7. jerry

jerry

It's in MY town, I got first on the rejects!

Build it Droog!

jerry

8. Nick32vic

Nick32vic

If you understand the power the motor has and don't drive like a complete idiot, then its not overkill. My dad and I have a 31 ford roadster with a built 425 and its not overkill. You just gotta drive safe. Our car gets huge 2nd gear scratch no matter if your in the pedal or not. Its fun. Like i said, just dont be an idiot and you'll be alright.

9. Nick32vic

Nick32vic

Oh yeah, our car has a 55 chevy rear end and 56 ford F-100 brakes up front. Stops good.

10. nailheadroadster

nailheadroadster

HEH There's no kill like OVERKILL!!!!

11. tikinailhead

tikinailhead

go for it! Box the frame rails obviously. Run brakes off a f100. a nailhead will rip a t5 in half almost. if you got the money try a t-10 or a muncie. There is a fair amount of speed parts available for the 401. you shouldn't need to do too much to the engine performance wise. that motor in that that small car will be fast enough as it is. spare no expences in the brakes and you should be safe.

12. TP

TP
    from conroe tx

I hope it's not overkill. really don't care. I'm putting a 425/2x4's in my 27 coupe. I built a 2x4 rectangle frame,buick brakes and a tall geared 9". You got to use good sense when driving it.

13. 462" of mildly built late Buick, about 400 HP in the 32.

462" of a stronger built late Buick, about 460 HP in the 31.

No problems with the 32, it handles the power just fine.
    The 31 should be the same and maybe better -traction wise - because the rear 4 links are tunable and the 32's rear 4 bars are not.

T-400 and Ford 9" in both.

You should do just fine with a strong running Nailhead.

Hot Rods are all about power and performance and Saturday nights were more than a beauty contest....

Attached Files:

14. Lee Martin

Lee Martin

Definitely go with a strong gearbox. I'm putting one in a '33 3-window and opted for a Super T-10 (I know a guy that grenaded a Saginaw behind a mildly built 364).

-Lee
    www.atomicpinup.com

15. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

DesertDroog, if you do get the 401 and the TH400, but build a three-pedal car I'd be interested in that transmission, or some parts of it.

16. desertdroog

desertdroog

Thanks all for the info. I am new to BOP and had planned on trying to find a suitable engine for my 29 project. I have some good resources in town to make sure my chassis is set up correctly. Arizona is a tight nit community and my homies have my back! Thanks for not kicking my newbie to the Nailhead booty. Making sure it is safe will be of the utmost importance.

Now to do the research for intakes...oh and this will be no reject, I have the word that it is reserved for me from the guy and will pay it in full on Friday. Sorry Jerry. ;)

Last edited: Jul 22, 2015
  17. ray

ray
    from colorado

i wonder how many of the guys who say a hot rod must have 3 pedals have ever driven a hot rod with even a mildly built 400 with a good switch pitch tranny. it damn sure gets the job done, and can embarrass a similar combo with a 4 speed quite easily, yet tame the car down a bit for everyday drivingin low stall mode, or if the ol lady wants to take it for a spin.

two pedals, three pedals, whatever, there's only one that really matters and it's long and skinny.

18. 40ford

40ford
    from Duluth, GA

Look at the Rolf 30-31A build in the Tech section

19. 29hotrod55kustom

29hotrod55kustom

hmmmm odddd... tony nancy's 29 A drag car only had 2 pedals.. hmmm i think.. wait yea... ALOT OF FUCKIN HOT RODS AND DRAG CARS IN THE LATE 50's AND EARLY 60's RAN B&M HYDROSTICKS.

sure manuals are a hell of a lot more fun.. and alot more traditional.. and i would prefer one in a hot rod.. but im sick of people sayin it aint a hot rod unless its got 3 pedals..

20. ...and pay attention to how long a Nailhead is compared to other V8s. Rolf cut into the firewall _AND_ moved the front crossmember forward 1" to accomodate it.

21. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

Forget the T5.

Take advantage of your generous power to weight ratio, and that buick's big fat torque curve.

Use a muscle era muncie/super T-10 that'll take the punishment, and a highway gear for comfortable cruising. Best of both worlds

22. autoartistry

autoartistry

I am going to use a 401 nailhead with 400 switch pitch tranny in my next 46 chevy pickup.Have not gotten into all the details of this combo bit is a neat setup.
    Mike

23. jerry

jerry

I got muncie m20 available if you need Droog.

jerry

24. Roothawg

Roothawg

Hmmm....really?

25. desertdroog

desertdroog

Thanks for the heads up. I have been googling Nailhead to find out the weight and dimensions of this motor and so far all I know is that it is more narrow than other comprable big inch motors. I have the tech archive saved in my links. Damn! What a nice car that is.

26. Candy-Man

Candy-Man

I put a 425 in my 'A' coupe which I sold two years ago. I reversed the firewall to make more room. I also put a T-10 behind it using 1/4" boxing plates to beef up the orginial model 'A' frame rails....

27. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

The specs I have are ...

685 lbs.

33 1/2" long
    29" high
    28" wide

28. Canuck

Canuck

Putting a 425 in a 30 A coupe, under a stock length hood with rad in stock location.

Frame is a custom made 2x5 tube, axle in front with disk brakes :eek: , 9 inch Ford in the rear. Using the SP400 trans.

Firewall is reversed and recessed as well about 4 inches to clear cylinder heads, distributor and exhaust headers (Sanderson). Removed rear package shelf and using a seat out of a Mazda RPV van and leg room is OK for me and have had some friends try out the seating (over 6 foot and 230 lbs). Engine has the short water pump and has room for a mechanical 7 blade non-flex fan with a small spacer to keep it off the belts.

Just takes a BIG SHOEHORN :D

Go for it.

Canuck

29. desertdroog

desertdroog

Thanks for the specs and suggestions. The parts pile continues to grow. It is funny how stuff like this happens when your friends want to push their BOP addiction on you (long story about my buddies wanting to see me go a different route than my original plans for the 29).

30. Rolf

Rolf

My 2 cents: I too think hot rods should have three pedals, but with the auto trans all you would have to do is STAND on it, and watch the tires melt. Nothing wrong with that. :D

I would certainly go with a Muncie or B/W T-10 if you are thinking stick shift. Or a Tremec 5sp if your wallet can handle it.

Nothing like hearing a large cube V8 go thru the gears.

Just remember that the starter is on the left side, so check your steering clearance.

Let us know how you do.

"Nailheads forever"