Register now to get rid of these ads!

unisteer rack & pinion

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rer_239, Aug 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rer_239

rer_239

does anyone have any experience with a unisteer rack & pinion? i'm thinking about using one on a stock model a frame with a super bell dropped i beam and a 4 bar setup. i don't have any of the steering components that this unit would replace. no vega box, no tie rod(s) or panhard bar. any advice would be appreciated.

rer_239:confused:

2. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have the Uni-Steer on my 32 Ford ... project.
    But I have not yet driven it ... :(

I have driven a friends 32 ... with the Uni-Steer and I liked it better than the Vega on my other 32 ...

3. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

No product experience here...but its NOT gonna replace a Panhard Rod(PR).

The PR is to prevent independent side to side motion between the frame and axle. You can drive a buggy spring/cross steer without it but you'll most likely prefer to have it to prevent twitchiness in the steering.

Thoughts....
    I also really dislike that...
    "I can adapt to your previously installed Vega box mount so you can retrofit me into your street rod with no welding required even though a dedicated mounting plate might be stronger and certainly nicer looking, but who cares because I'm the trick of the month and you NEED me now" (phew!)....mounting bracket!
    I dislike the short length cross link the setup uses as well. Seems like a potential for increased bumpsteer over a Vega style tierod link. Depends on the suspension travel of course...

But...LOTS of stuff doesn't match up with my preferences and still works GREAT so don't let my ramble sway you! :)
    Hopefully you'll get more input from the users of the product.

In the mean time...Deuceroadster likes them and he's a straight up guy in my book! ;)

4. rooman

rooman

The Uni-steer stuff is very good. It is way better than the Mustang 11/Pinto based crap that is more common. The box itself is extremely well engineered and plenty strong. We used the regular version of it in some high horsepower front wheel drive race cars and had no durability problems whatsoever. They also supply most of the NHRA Pro Stock chassis builders as well.
    If anyone else is thinking of using a rack in a project the best thing about the Unisteer deal is that they will custom build a rack to whatever dimensions you need. Dave and the guys there have saved my arse a couple of times by building exactly what I needed at a very reasonable price.

Roo

zzford likes this.

5. Casey

Casey
    Member Emeritus

I have herd they are great ! bought one for my coupe 4? years ago,
    now I just have to put it in ,
    I could not live with that 1/2 plate bracket bull shit and thrue it away as soon as it entered my shop.
    I would cut off the vega mount , re box , and build a nice bracket to hold that nice rack. it`s on my list.

6. ShakeyPuddin55

ShakeyPuddin55

I used a Uni Steer under extreme conditions and it failed. When my 55 drag car had A arms, I used the Uni Steer R&P because of header clearance.
    The car had a pretty bad bump steer issue. After a wheel stand at the track, the housing broke and sent me in the wall.

Again, my conditions were not average. I wouldn't be scared to run one on a light street car. I bought the unit through Jeg's and got a full credit when I explained the failure.

7. Rem

Rem

I had considered something like this on one of my projects, but one argument I heard against it was that steering racks are originally designed with a link at each end to equalise the loads - the pinion just moves the rack left or right to change direction. With this application, the pinion is doing all the work in holding the rack in position. I didn't go into it any further as the more I thought about, the less I liked the look of them.

I'm sure these ones will have been designed to account for the increased loads (if this is indeed true), but maybe it is something to think about?

8. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Don't see the issue with that...

Shakey...that wouldn't have been this style rack though would it???
    Just that it was a rack from the Unisteer Company?
    If that was an engineered kit you installed I can see you being VERY pissed off!!!

9. enjenjo

enjenjo
    from swanton oh

I've used one. The only issue I had with it is the big turning radius. That can be fixed with a Jeep tie rod end on the right side, and connect the drag link to it.

Attached Files:

zzford likes this.
  10. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Thats an excellent tip Enjenjo! ;)

zzford likes this.
  11. rooman

rooman

ShakeyPuddin55,
    I have found that Unisteer kits are very well engineered regarding issues such as bump steer etc.
    As I mentioned in my earlier post we used their stuff on Pro FWD cars with 1300 horsepower going to the front wheels with attendant tire shake issues and never had any sort of problem with durability.

Roo

12. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

On my '32 I mounted a Pinto R&P to the rear of the axle. So it moved with the axle and didn't seem to have bump steer. I had to make a small gear box that mounted at the bottom of the steering colum to reverse the rotation and make the car turn left when I turned the wheel left. Needed an support anyway. I used CF6 sump pump gears and made the housing.

13. no55mad

no55mad

I've seen this set up on lots of rods recently and the owners love them. They say they steer easy and quick response. From the pix above I'd question the mount. Looks like it would flex from the forces of tire resistence etc. Any comments on this?

14. no55mad

no55mad

Has anyone experienced flexing with this mount?

15. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

If you've seen the mount you wouldn't question the thing. It's 1/2" thick and bent in a press brake. The frame will flex before the mount will. Some of the comments are "typical" HAMB, no facts just offhand comments usually of the negative nature.
    This company has a stellar reputation for making quality roducts. Do you really think they would expose themseves to multi-million dollar law suits by putting a product on the market that could be used by those who have posted here without a clue as to the engineering aspect of the application ? If you do , you owe yourself to sit down and talk to them. They'll blow you out of the water after about 30 seconds if you don't have an engineering degree.

Frank

05snopro440 and zzford like this.
  16. I put one on my 32. I put a brace on the back side of the mount just because it's easier to do it before it's painted rather than after I wish I had. I haven't driven mine yet but did some research before buying and found nothing bad about hot rod applications.

17. ROBERT JAM

ROBERT JAM

I have over 7000 miles on my 32 sedan since changing it back to a solid axle from a mustang 11.I like it a lot and steers you where you pont it easily.That counts driving montana roads.We have the misterious chuck hole up here!! It appears when you arnt looking.

zzford likes this.
  18. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

(NOTE...read carefully...this isn't a blast against Unisteer!)

Well, I dunno about stellar reputations and all that stuff Frank, but I'll question anything I want.
    In fact...I even question the stuff I LIKE so there!!! Hahaha :D

As for being blown out of the water if I don't have an engineering degree...I'm DAMN sure I would be!!!

I'm NOT an Engineer...but I make a habit of examining the things that people say I really need just as a form of self preservation.
    I'm still HERE so it must work!!! ;)

I'd say that bracket is tough as nails...it's just ugly as sin! A dedicated bracket would be much nicer. MAYBE one IS available!?!? I dunno...

Anyway...I believe that this thread link that was posted on the HAMB in relation to another problem entirely will show why, despite all the good reports a company can receive, its a good idea to do your homework and ask questions if any come to mind.

Engineers and Company reps are only human you know.
    Shit happens!!!
    I do believe that Unisteer WILL do its best to fix this issue with one style of their kits.
    I mean them no harm by posting the link...in fact, it SHOWS them working hard towards an acceptable fix that will please all their affected customers.
    It's a complicated issue!!!
    Seem like a good bunch with a good attitude...even if a little over worked due to their success.

Just wanted to show WHY I think its worth questioning EVERYTHING, no matter which company is involved.

http://tffn.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13322

19. My '32 highboy ran a vega box for 2 years. It was scary loose and unpredictable.
    I bought a Unisteer at the Good Guys show in Rhinebeck and they shipped it within 1 week.
    The installation took slightly over 1 hour. It almost fell into place on it's own.
    I had to keep re-reading the instruction to see if I left out a step.
    It seemed too easy!
    The bracket and R&P assembly are overly engineered. Excellent quality.
    I've got 2500 miles on it now and no problems.
    It's the best money I ever spent to improve the roadster.
    I'm going to call them up and inquire about their Unisteer R & P for my '36 Ford coupe.
    It's got a Flaming River quick ratio box with split bones a stock axle and reversed eyes lowered Posies front transverse spring.
    That car has eaten up 3 Flaming River boxes so far in the past 5 years.
    Maybe the car is too heavy for it?
    I'm done forever with Vega boxes.
    My other alternative is to use a Saginaw 525 I suppose but I really like the tightness of the Unisteer in my other car.
    Anyone else done one in a 35 or 36?

zzford likes this.
  20. sdluck

sdluck

Any part no or year of jeep this is from?

21. zzford

zzford

BIG fan of the Unisteer unit. I had a Flaming River POS originally. It seemed that I had to adjust it monthly, yet it still drove like crap. I replaced it with a Unisteer and it was like driving a whole different car.

22. perrytudor32

perrytudor32
    from uk

I'm in the uk.got one on my 34 truck,love it.only bug bear is steering lock.got a part no for the jeep part.

23. perrytudor32

perrytudor32
    from uk

speedwaymotors part no 91002999.price$39.99.also on ebay.com,no 131500360032.same price.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
  24. sdluck

sdluck

Thanks for the info

25. tex1935

tex1935

we installed the unisteer on a model A , It was an easy install. only problem was the roll pin fell out of the connection between the box and steering shaft after three months on the road. we were lucky it dropped out in a parking lot . we notified unisteer and were told that they had no other problems before. we replaced the roll pin with a 1/4 " bolt.

26. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

Another 10 year old thread back from the dead

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.