Register now to get rid of these ads!

what is the rarest car you have come across

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by davesville, Aug 12, 2007.

1. Section 8

Section 8
    from AZ

I completely disregard any "Barn-find" story that doesn't include the price.

2. Muttley

Muttley

I hate reading stories like this that dont list the price payed.

3. but what about pics as well? I really love to see pics. If I only had pics of all the things my dad and I used to work on together. I used to not think of how badass and how cool these old and semi rare cars that we worked on would be. I certainly miss it, and most of all miss doing it with my dad. I really can't wait till my kids get older, right now they just think they are COOL OLD CARS, my 7 yr old girl is starting to understand is a gearhead as well :) But I don't turn her loose on many things yet.

4. DrJ

DrJ

A visit to Bluto's garage on any day will change the car at the top of your list..

5. purple

purple

A guy I knew restored a Barrow special. 1 of 2 built, the other is not known to still exist.

6. tinmann

tinmann

A buddy of mine is doing a resto for a customer on a '28 Jordan fordor. Very wooden car with tin tacked over.

7. r8odecay

r8odecay

8. belair

belair

I have a 51 buick special 2 door that is supposed to be one of about 600, according to some production numbers I read. It is a cheap 2 door sedan. would love more info on it, if I knew how to post pics, I would.

9. metalshapes

metalshapes

10. OLDSKEWL61

OLDSKEWL61

WERE DOING SOME TOUCH UP ON A 66' SHELBY GT 350 H AT WORK old rent a racer only 50 red ones and a total resto 68 gt 500 kr drop top one of 318 for same customer

11. About 1970 I was driving a delevery truck for a machine shop in Chicago. Made a stop in Gary Indiana, looked over a fence and saw a model T. Climed over the fence to find out it was a center door sedan. The old guy also had a Woods-Mobilett cycle car. He was gonna' restore them someday. Never went back to follow up on them.

12. mr. dick

mr. dick
    from New York

This is the rarest car for me, owned it for 15 years. Sold it last November.

Mr. Dick

Attached Files:

13. hodaddyo

hodaddyo

my buddy's building a 27 oakland phaeton. never heard of or seen another one.

14. El Loco Worm

El Loco Worm
    from oklahoma

Once I saw a red camero. The rarest car I've seen would be the supercharged studebaker avanti that I didn't buy 6 years ago, wish I would've.

15. Many years ago I was moonlighting with a fellow that had quite a garage full of stuff. One day I decided to ask him if anything was for sale. He offered me a choice of a 1935 MG N series (614 produced) or a 1939 Alfa Romeo 8c2900 Zagato roadster. Dummy me I bought the MG not believing his story of one of 3 made and the rumor of the car once belonging to Walt Disney. Hindsight is a bitch.
    But I'm currently finishing up this 57 Facel Vega FV4 . The Facel production from 54 to 58 was 297 with the last 100 cars or so being fitted with theChrysler 300c Hemi .

Attached Files:

16. I was part owner of a '49 Davis military prototype for a short time couple of years ago. Pulled from a garage in Georgia after 20+ years sitting on a trailer. $7000.00 including the trailer.
    3 wheeled, continental powered 4banger, POS that Gary Davis was trying to sell to the military for Korean War service. Test driver at Aberdeen proving grounds tipped it over on a banked curve and that was the end of the Davis military program. One of 3 built. I have no pics now, but I could find some if anyone is interested.
    Davis' other fiasco was the aluminum bodied Divan 3 wheeler eggmobile...

Dan

17. Vic

Vic
    from Florida

Not an orphan but rare just the same, we have a 1939 Lincoln Zephyr V-12 Convertible Club Coupe. A total of 638 were built and I'm told by the Lincoln Zephyr Owners Club that ours is one of only 16 known to exist. I’d post a photo but I don’t know how to down size the photos to fit the HAMB format.

18. GaryC.

GaryC.

About 20 years ago I came across a 1957 Rometsch out in a field.
    Rusty and red. Rometschs were built on a standard length VW chassis and looked like a stretched Porsche Speedster. Really cute little cars.
    The thing that lit me up was that in the center of the steering wheel, surrounding the horn button, were the signs of the zodiac.
    I never got it. The owner kept putting me off. I don't think he really wanted to sell it but really had no use for it either. Later, when I was in the area I inquired with neighbors and they said they thought that it
    went to the shredder.

There's a rare one out there somewhere with my name on it.

Attached Files:

19. zzford

zzford

I have seen a '20 somethin' Oakland roadster pick up owned by a fellow named Boo Lowery here in South Florida. The license plate says that it's "1 of none" ever built. They don't get any rarer than that!

20. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

I have been chasing rare cars and getting paid for since age ten

My idea of collecting.....real collecting is about wonderful rare things

Many people here have created their own rare cars.

It's one of the great things about this place

I have been close to and owned one-off cars dating back to 1897

The little green car to the left is an English built one-off Ferrari sports racing car. Built outta all brand new stuff in 1959. It ran three races in it's life and was never crashed

Go out and look at what your building....... Is it any less rare than the JBW Ferrari? nope

Most of you are much closer to a rare car than you give yourself credit for.

Just a thought

And visiting me takes a lot further trip than it ustta John.

21. Leaky Pipes

Leaky Pipes

ha! I guess we were at the same show! one of the first fiberglass cars made. pocket doors... who wouldav' thought.

22. ironfly28

ironfly28
    from Orange, CA

In the spirit of the non existant barn finds I'm curently pursuiting a 1922 Mercury Speedster in the backyard of a deceased Rabbi in my neighborhood.

I also remember being a 8 years ago driving by a tow yard that had a 1950s GM dream car sitting next to the fence, a fiberglass bodied "LaSalle" it was beat up and I didn't really know what it was but I knew I wanted it.

Imagine the deep sea diver who could tell about exploring the Andrea Dorea.

and while we're on the topic of rare does anybody have a clue as to what these doors are for?

Attached Files:

23. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

I built the exhaust for a 57 Dual Ghia about 20 years ago. It had a Dodge Hemi in it. Kinda ugly but rare. Supposed to be 117 made in 1957.

24. Many years ago I found this '24(?) Columbia 6 roadster in the woods about 30 miles north of here. It was completely disassembled and the parts scattered over several acres. I alerted a restorer friend and he ended up with most of it.

The rarest car I ever drove was a 1902 Baker electric car. You steered it with a tiller bar. :)

Attached Files:

25. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

'27 Stearns-Knight 4 door, powered by a 401" Buick

26. wvenfield

wvenfield

I posted pics here awhile back of a 1920 something Mort a friend of mine was painting for a local funeral home.

Not many Mort's around.

27. A friend of mine has an amazing "collection" of oddball cars,that all need restoration.Same old story,he's going to restore them all himself,but he's close to 70 yrs old and hasn't started yet.He's got a 1965 Maserati Sebring that was one of 6 built in the design house,before the 200 production cars.Also has 1933 Franklin,air cooled Lycoming powered,that is a one off body.The list also includes a Morgan,1947 Jag roadster,Truimph TR4,1965 Mercedes coupe(w/5spd that was an engineering test),and various motorcycles(Vincent Black Shadow,Ariel Square Four,and 50s and 60s Ducati's ,Triumphs and BMW's.:eek:

28. About 40 years ago i found a 1920s Velie ( U.S. make ) pretty close to my school in Ringwood, Vic,. Could just see the grille in an old rundown shed. Another shed had a 1905 ? Renault hanging in bits from the rafters. Over here i have found and bought a '33 Delahaye coupe and a '30 Amilcar roadster. Both basketcases, got the Amilcar half done and then sold both of them.

29. FordF1

FordF1
    from Ottawa

A car I have in my garage 1928 Graham Paige Victoria.

Also saw a Moon in storage, not sure how rare it is.

Here are both.

Attached Files:

30. 50Fraud

50Fraud

3 rare care sightings:

Bugatti Atlantique, in shabby condition, parked at the curb on a residential street in Hollywood (1950s).

Cadillac Aerodynamic Coupe, also shabby, parked on a residential street in Culver City (1960s). Don't know if it was a V12 or a V16; they made both.

Mercedes-Benz 500K Coupe, excellent condition, displayed at Pedigree Motors, a used car lot on Wilshire Blvd in Santa Monica (1960s).

Fewer than 20 were made of each of these body styles, and all are probably worth over a Mil today.

None of these pictures are of the actual cars I saw, but are here for illustration.

Attached Files: