Register now to get rid of these ads!

stovebolt intakes

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by xderelict, Aug 10, 2007.

1. xderelict

xderelict
    Member Emeritus

I've been asked to share some of the photos of intakes for the chevy L6.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Cosmo49 likes this.
  2. xderelict

xderelict
    Member Emeritus

I'm sorry about the images wandering,first time trying thumbnails.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]these are a mixed bag of 235 &250s

Cosmo49 likes this.
  3. forty3

forty3

that's pretty rad. do you care to give info on each. id love to simply know more about them. or do you have a link of some sort with more info on them?

kurt

4. xderelict

xderelict
    Member Emeritus

Clifford,Edelbrock,Edmunds,Ellis,Fenton,Howard,McGurk,Nicson,Offenhauser,
    Sharp,Tattersfield,Thickstun,and Wayne are some of the companies that made manifolds. Anyone care to add to the list please do.I do regular searches for these manifolds and only started collecting images three months ago.A lot of the older manifolds are 216,They are ported smaller and run smaller carbs.The early manifolds can be ported to 235 specs.I'm going to run a Thickstun 216 manifold on the hoodlums 235. With two Carter yh's all should be cool.The old manifolds seem to have Rochester B,BC,Carter YH, and Carter W1s.The side drafts seem to be Carter yf,and Webers.There are also water heated and manifold heated intakes. I'm no expert on intake manifolds.I would like those with more knowledge than me to add to this.

Cosmo49 likes this.

5. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

If you pay attention to the ads in the early HRMs, there are several manifolds for Chevy sixes that must have been made in very small quantities. Names like Hartman and Chiles (although I did pick up a Chiles triple intake last year) that I've never seen other than in the ad. A few 1950 HRMs have an ad for a Tattersfield three carb intake, but I've never seen one in the flesh. Some intakes used a common pattern and changed the name; I've got a 216 dual intake that obviously was cast from the same mold as the square ended Fenton intakes, but has "Clark Header" cast in the center. I've also got an early single 4bbl. intake with 235 size ports with no I.D. marks at all, but found a picture of it in a '54 Car Craft article that lists it as a Wayne product. Nicson made a triple side draft intake for 216/235s four years before the first Corvette had one that used Zenith side draft carbs from C.O.E. International trucks. Foundries were plentiful in the late '40s/early '50s, and most of them didn't have the minimum quantity requirements that a lot of foundries have today--if you wanted a run of half a dozen intakes, they'd cast them for you.

6. stan292

stan292

x -

Do you count the 250-292s as "stovebolts", or just the older style motors?

7. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

The third picture down on the left in xderelict's collage shows a Hollywood Deep Tone split exhaust manifold for 216s. I bought the only one of these that I've ever seen, and can't believe that there are very many still floating around out there. It's the only complete aftermarket one piece manifold for early Chevy that I know of. Clark headers predate Fentons by at least two years, and a mid '49 HRM has a Clark ad selling split stock manifolds on an exchange basis.

8. Snarl

Snarl

Could you show a bigger picture of that last one, Looks like its a Thickstun?? (the one sitting on the wood floor)? thanks.

I saw a 3 carb Tattersfield at the Jefferson swapmeet 2 years ago. It's also pictured in the Roger Huntington book on building the early stovebolts.

9. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

"Stovebolt" applies to the 216-235-261s that were produced from 1937-62. The 194-230-250-292 sixes have a lot in common with small block V8s.

10. xderelict

xderelict
    Member Emeritus

The manifolds with the square intake ports are the later 250 etc.The round ports their older brothers. I guess there are different opinions on the term stovebolt.If I think stovebolt, personally I think of pre 62. I own both and love them L6 chevys all.

Cosmo49 likes this.
  11. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Out of curiosity, what was the Tattersfield triple going for? The intake you asked for a bigger picture for is a Thickstun, one of the earliest aftermarket Chevy intakes. I wonder if those funky "doughnut" manifold passages actually do anything? It would be interesting to see a modern flow bench comparison of the old intakes.

12. xderelict

xderelict
    Member Emeritus

Big Thickstun photo
    [​IMG]
    An old add for a Howards
    [​IMG]

Cosmo49 likes this.
  13. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

Thanks for posting these photos.

I'm going to print them off, and go find somewhere quiet to "read".... ;)

14. warbozz

warbozz

Here's one of my favorite stovebolt intakes- an Edmund's Custom for the 216 with water heat and Stromberg/Holley 3-stud carb mounts. I got this piece in a trade, and lightly re-polished it in my vibratory finishing tub (along with the Holley 94's). I am partial to Edmund's stuff though. :D (sorry the picture's won't show in the post- so they are linked)

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v664/keltoi28/?action=view&current=100_0001.jpg

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v664/keltoi28/?action=view&current=100_0002.jpg

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v664/keltoi28/?action=view&current=100_0003.jpg

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v664/keltoi28/?action=view&current=100_0004.jpg

15. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

This post is getting better al the time!!

16. Road Runner

Road Runner

Anybody got pics of the Harper 3x Stromberg 97 intake?
    It's just 3 elbow runners straight into the ports, only connected by two small pipes in between them for balance.

The simplest and purest intake design I have seen for the early chevy 6s.

17. SOLO

SOLO

This is some great info and pics of different manifolds. Looking to pic up a split manifold down the road for my 235. Great stuff!

18. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

Yeh but a bit of a bugger to set it up.

I know a couple of guys who have them, i'll ask if I can get a picture of one.

19. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

I've got a Harper setup, with three Stromberg 48s for carbs. It was pretty high tech for 1955; the throttle shafts were cut in half so that each throttle plate moved independently of the other, and the inboard plates were the "primaries", while the outboard plates opened up as the pedal was put to the floor. Because of its modular design, I would imagine that it could be adapted to other inline engines that intakes are sparse for, such as Buick straight eights. Same round intake ports, so just use four of the elbows.

20. Snarl

Snarl

Thats what I thought. It looks like its for a Mopar flathead six based on the way the flange ears are orientated??
    Probably the best design of them all, along with the Tattersfield 2x1.

21. Snarl

Snarl

As I recall, he wanted $300 with 3 junk Carter w-1's on it and no linkage.

The dogbone Thickstun isn't the one I was asking about.
    I have one of those dogbones, and I would like to dyno that puppy too. I may just do that in the coming year, if I get my next 235 built up like I want to.

22. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

I've got a dogbone Thickstun, as well as a Thickstun dual intake without the dogbone ends. It's the only one of its type I've seen, and is a mystery to me.

23. Snarl

Snarl

There was a plain Thickstun 2x1 on Ebay about a year ago. Is that the same one?
    Perhaps it was one of those deals as mentioned before about taking an existing manifold and putting whoevers name on it. Does the shape match any of the other ones out there?

Another rare one is Newhouse. Saw one on ebay several years ago, and thats it.

24. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

No, actually, it looks like its own design. I guess I'm going to have to crawl up in the attic of my garage and snap some pictures of some of this junk.

25. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Does the Thickstun in the lower left corner have "Thickstun" cast into the heat riser flange ? Mine is plain, no maker's identification ... the Hollywood Deep Tone manifold I have has a HUGE hole in the center "blockoff'' - probably wouldn't sound as good as a split manifold ...

26. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Yeah, my Hollywood manifold has a balance passage too, but about 3/4 of the passage is cast shut. I figured that before I ran it on anything, I'd get a can of high temp furnace patch cement and reach in there and blob it completely shut for maximum decibel capability. I'll take a look at my Thickstuns tonight and let you know about logo placement.

27. Snarl

Snarl

Mine does.

28. no one mentioned the Ellis....

Attached Files:

29. superchargednailhead

superchargednailhead

30. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

And then there's the Newhouse, and the Lee, the Tornado and no doubt others as well.