Register now to get rid of these ads!

Is there such thing as a COOL Hudson Pickup Rod?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gigantor, Aug 1, 2007.

1. UK Comet

UK Comet

Cool? yeah!
    Ugly? Hell, yeah!
    [​IMG]

2. Gigantor

Gigantor

UK COmet - got any more pictures of the Hudson on the left? I like the "bedless" look.

RustyNewYorker - believe me dude, the idea has crossed my mind, but I've got this sneaking suspicion the yard guy would have a fit if I pulled a stunt like that. Of course you never know. The condition it's in, he wont get much for scrap. Maybe if I throw in another 100 bucks, I can strip the car completely of sellable parts and systematically destroy everything else to get that motor and tranny.

3. Hey, just clean up the mess when you're done, is all. The 53-4 rearend is worth taking, it's not bulletproof, but pretty tough and you can get all kinds of gear ratios for it.

4. UK Comet

UK Comet

Here's a couple more, Truck belongs to a mate of mine called 'Nifty'.
    Car was imported from the States but suffered some damage in transit. I believe there is an S10 chassis under it and a 440 motor under the hood.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Ramblur

Ramblur

I'm partial to Hudson's , but I prefer one of these between the
    fenders...

[​IMG]

6. Gigantor

Gigantor

Ramblur - that's what I'm hoping to piec together.

RustyNewYorker - the 53-54 rearend is virtually bulletproof... how about the 51 (which is what I'll be pulling apart at the yard)

UKComet - thanks for the pics, I love the enclosed rear wheel look. Too bad the lettering on the door looks so ameture when the rest of the truck is so slick though. Still, that's really nifty.

7. UK Comet

UK Comet

Yeah, it's a 'work in progress' project.

8. Ramblur

Ramblur

I believe they started using the Dana 44 axle in 52,maybe late 51
    though. At least in the cars.

9. Hardluckokie

Hardluckokie
    from oklahoma

I actually never knew hudson made a truck. They look pretty amazing.

10. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

This is my buddy Gary's Hudson pickup with a Caddy engine under the long hood.

Attached Files:

11. 1 foot in the grave

1 foot in the grave
    BANNED

WOW!! What a tastefully done and classy ride!!!:eek:

12. rustyhood

rustyhood

I learn something new everyday! I had never known of or seen a Hudson Pick up until today! I like it! not real crazy about the front grill design but over all it has a really good look to it. Great pic's. I guess I wasn't as observant as I thought I was growing up.

13. I'm partial to Hudsons... I like the look of the trucks stock... they make great customs as well without a whole lot of choppin' and modifying.... I wish that I didn't sell my Commodore Six....

14. If this leaves any doubt about their 'coolness' I don't know what to further say. NOT mine, wish it was but I have admired this ever since I saw the pics.

Attached Files:

15. sloppy_J

sloppy_J

wasnt this truck was on ebay a while back.....

16. Rot 'n Kustom

Rot 'n Kustom

Yes, Hudson Big Boys are very cool pickups. There are two of running around in my area which I see at swap meets.

I once saw a step-down model Hudson pickup in a field, which I assumed was a cowboy-custom (cut off the back half of a car and use it for hauling). I later read that Hudson produced about 8-10 of them for hauling stuff around the factory. Super rare, if the story is true!

17. uc4me

uc4me

I had a 46, sold it a few years ago, still kinda wish I didn't
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. Gigantor

Gigantor

Man, blast from the past...
    That pickup that first caught my eye was sold before I could even get in touch with the owner. Haven't seen it around town since.

Still working on the 308 though, got a fuel pump core the other day... in the two plus year since I posted this thread, I got to say my opinions have changed. I love the look of these trucks now.

19. carnut341

carnut341

I met a guy back in the 70's that had Hudson p/u with a sb chevy and a 40 Chevy front clip on it. Didn't look tobad!

20. Ive got a bud with two terraplane pickups.... ones fully restored and one is getting a crossram 413 wedge shoehorned in it as we speak.

21. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

Allways one of my dream cars.

22. Ronnie Hudson

Ronnie Hudson
    from Virginia

I found this guy that has installed a '74 Chevy Step Side bed with rear fenders from a late '40s-early '50s Chevy truck that allowed him to install wider tires in the rear without modifing the bed. Makes the truck look more like a Willys.

Attached Files:

23. Ronnie Hudson

Ronnie Hudson
    from Virginia

Here are some pictures of my truck that I found setting in a barn for over 40 years. Original owner passed away during the restoration in the '70s. He had the front bumper rechromed and alot of NOS parts but the engine and transmission was sold by his son. My plans are to keep the outside looking stock but with a modern drive line from a Chevy Surburban with LS engine and 4L60 trans. The Suburban wheelbase is 3" longer than the Hudson but should move the wheels to the center of the rear wheel openings. Plus I can lower or bag the Suburban suspension on the cheap.

Attached Files:

24. Ronnie Hudson

Ronnie Hudson
    from Virginia

Here are some pictures of a '46 Hudson the was at the Nastaga Drags in Bowling Green, KY last year. Owner was selling the truck for $24,000. Kind of wished I did not already have mine as I will have more than that in mine when completed...and this one was turn key! All Gear Heads need to add going to the Nastaga Drags and Car Show to their Bucket List. This is a must see! But get there early as there is a 5 mile, small 2 lane road to get there and traffic is terrible! It took me over an hour the first day but left out of my hotel at 7:00 a.m. the next with no problems.

Attached Files:

25. Ronnie Hudson

Ronnie Hudson
    from Virginia

And did Chevrolet get the idea from Hudson to raise the hood from the rear that is used on the Corvette? Hmmm?

Hudson's were way before thier time...

Attached Files:

26. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

32 Hudson

Attached Files:

27. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

28. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS