Register now to get rid of these ads!

August 4 Banger Meeting!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CoalTownKid, Aug 2, 2007.

1. CoalTownKid

CoalTownKid

Well, I did a search and then scanned the posts,...??...What!...no August 4 banger meeting yet??

Unless I missed the post, lets get her underway!

Went out to Ohio with the roadster and found out she was overheating,....(got there with the help of a - tow dolly!!) Of course most of you know the overheating problem I've been facing due to my post on it. We got her streetable while there,...but she needs to be finshed up. Got her for her maiden voyage at about midnight...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Yesterday,....my buddy came over with a machinist's straight edge, we took a look at the head,...that was fine,....but the block is WARPED! The amount of oil at the top of the pistons and oil in water in radiator made both of us think that this poor block is cracked somewhere.

[​IMG]

Found a B block locally, but the guy's asking waaaay to much. I'm still trying to get a built cragar powered B off a local guy,...hopefully my friend will come through!!?? Sure would be nice if he did.....now on the hunt for an engine!!!

2. That's a recipe for a cool car! I DIG it!

I traded off the blue speedster... the one I shared with you guys last month, for a Model A hot rod project.

It is about the NICEST Model A coupe body I have seen! It has one re-paint over the original black... hehehehe!! Brand new TCI chassis that the guy let sit outside and get a little rusty... and a shitload of other parts.

I think I will sell off the TCI and put the body on a '32 frame like everyone else is doing... only different.

Sam.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. GARY?

GARY?

CoalTown... You guys aren't getting advice from a guy drinkin' the Silver Bullet are ya'?:D
    The last pic rules. It is about having fun.
    Sam... great score! And you got a pile to dig through too.

Spent some time getting the Rabbit ready for vacation, B'ville and the Drags. I CAN't WAIT!!! It is a banger right?
    Went dirt roading the other night in the "A". These things are a blast on the loose stuff. All of 40mph I bet. Felt like 80:) Good shakedown run. Spun it around once. I'm surpised how predictible it was on the loose stuff. Got home and had about a qtr. inch of gas in the tank. Cutting it close:D Most fun I've had in years.

4. Coaltown, your roadster looks ace.
    Sam, that is a bloody nice coupe! Are you going to run a banger?

I've been working on my roadster, that's about it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. phlip

phlip

6. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

HEY! Forgot to tell you, Coaltown: I met Ray Stillwell, the guy associated with one of your motors. Asked about the crazy biplane flywheel...
    Where's the engine he supposedly built?

7. This must be the first time that I haven't got anything to say!

The little stocker 'B' that I threw in the car is still going great and I haven't done a thing to it apart from drive it.

Heres a picture of an abandoned and very sad looking engine.

[​IMG]

My dad made up this nifty little breather for his.

[​IMG]

Take one 216 Stovebolt breather and cut the bottom off. Add to that a Model 'A' breather with the top cut off. Bring the two together and its job done!

[​IMG]

8. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

9. The Wrong-Un

The Wrong-Un

Lovin' the roadster Jimmy, I've always been a sucker for a car with a Whippet grille shell.

As for me, only one big outing in the coupe this month and that was close to the south coast at Broadlands in Hampshire. The British summer continued in all its glory and the coupe remained nice and clean for the whole weekend!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've still to clean the car as it didn't make it home thanks to a fracture in the oil line, though I do hope to get to repair it this coming weekend. Not a major job just waiting on a replacement union.

10. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

been working on the TD. almost ready to get it of the stands for some summer running.

11. Wildfire

Wildfire

I got some bling for the engine - but no engine just yet... Carbs from Rudy Faltermeier and consulting by Brent-in-10-uh-C.

Also now have wheels and tires, brakes on the way, axle dropped, master cylinder changed (again) and probably some other stuff.

Attached Files:

12. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

In the archives.

Nothing to report. My lowly B sits in a garage 2100 miles away awaiting me to do something with it. ;)

13. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

Ooh...another month goes by...sorry I'm late.

Been quite busy here. Did something I said I'd never do and sold the body from the coupe. Bit drastic I know, but I'm gonna move on to a Tudor in the near future and was made an offer I couldn't refuse. So, off to deepest darkest Yorkshire it went....
    [​IMG]

Very sad moment to see it go, but hey...blank canvas and all that...
    [​IMG]

Gonna be a few months until a sedan arrives Chez Artiki, so I'm going to have some fun with the frame for a while. Totally inspired by Sam's blue speedster, I'm going to knock up a little boat-tail myself. Up against a tight time-frame though, the car has got to be at the drags in five weeks time....

14. Well - I had an eventful week in the Fordor involving ignition coils. New one burnt out, threw on an old one to get myself home. THAT burnt out on a short trip up the road. So on Tuesday I put on a brand new one I'd forgotten was under the seat!

Which lasted until last night when 4ever4 came by and helpfully followed me home from the MOT station in the Sedan and forgot I don't have a magneto. Ignition left on. Bye bye new coil. Cheers Clark!

15. Simon

Simon
    from London, UK

All I have got is a new bed in the pickup - Mot this month

16. Hayride?

17. Michael_e

Michael_e

Here are some more Winfield carburetor pictures. This time they are of a Model M carburetor. Unfortunately, a section was broken on the air inlet where a choke horn or air filter would mount. I've got an old carburetor with an almost identical diameter and shape inlet which i could use to repair the Winfield. Which direction would some of you guys go to do this repair; just cut a small section out of the donor carb and splice it in, or, remove the entire circular ring from the donor and expoxy it to the Winfield? Also, note that large barrel valve that is the throttle plate. It measures 2 1/4 inches in diameter. I don't know what this Model M Winfield was originally designed for, but i bet it would be quite interesting to design a manifold and run a pair of these on a banger motor. Your thoughts please...

Mike

Attached Files:

18. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

you would wash the rings right out of any banger if you tried to run 2 of those (though I have seen 2 SR-D's run on a DOHC Pops Green burning Methanol) . cant really help you on the repair aspects. But that is definately the largest M i have ever seen. good find.

19. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

"...been working on the TD..." Where ARE all those old MG's? Used to be everywhere. now hardly ever see them
    Anyway, a note on the state of our future generations of possible banger people...don't know whether optimistic or pessimistic:

Stuck at red light in Millburn NJ, a town where every high school junior drives a new Benz and 70 year old moguls parade their anorexic trophy wives in Ferraris...
    I was next to two 10-year olds eating ice cream on the sidewalk...an MG TD buzzed through the intersection, with both kids staring in wonder and fascination...as the car vanished, they remained transfixed, trying to label the vision. After a few seconds, one face suddenly brightened, and the kid spoke out authoritatively: "That's a Ford Model T!!" They nodded, and shuffled off happily.

20. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

Nah...we said last year that we were going to give this one a miss, Hank is too young for this kind of thing and Juno wouldn't want to leave him with anyone just yet.

Speedster's coming along though, I took this photo this afternoon. Been working on it for just under two weeks, so it should be drivable come the drags.

I'll be starting on the firewall tonight and begin the tail-section on Sunday.

[​IMG]

21. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

This car is a local find and belongs to a friend of mine. It not for sale but thought all would like to see it. I had never seen it out of a trailer until today. Plenty of ideas here for a future build.
    I especially like the frame front ( cross member moved back) and the front spring mount.
    You will see that on one of my cars soon for sure.
    The engine is a model t banger with rajo head and overhead camshaft. I think he said it was a cline overhead on the rajo???

[​IMG]
    Dayton wire wheels...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have always wondered how to make a T steering arm ??

Although this car is a piece to piece old car built by someone just to sell. And thats what he did , sell it to my friend. It really would never run like this and the parts are very mismatched etc. Still it just reaks of cool designs etc.
    I am starting a body like this soon myself and have a local builder that builds a car body ( fiberglass and aluminum grill) ) that is a miller replica.
    Whata you guys think???

22. Ace Brown

Ace Brown
    from OH

HEY! I'm the guy in the passenger seat and that guy with the Silver Bullet is my old man! Don't let the crappy beer fool you, he's been roddin' since most of us were even thought of :D :D :D besides, we were dinking the Bullet too, everything seemed like a good idea....for example:

a fun ride bouncing all over sitting on patio furniture cushions for seats with NO LIGHTS!:eek: oh, and no brakes!

23. CoalTownKid

CoalTownKid

sitting in my garage,...I took the head off of it,....that's what you saw on the engine currently in the roadster,....what did he have to say about it,...did you talk about it by chance,...I actually found out an older friend of mine actually knows Ray very well, and has for many years,...I just laughed,..what a small wolrd!! Been meaning to get Ray's info off of him and have a talk with Ray....

boy, now you've got my curiosity up!!!!!

24. CoalTownKid

CoalTownKid

That's right!,.....run what 'cha brung!!! Dont worry I'll make sure yre balls drop son,...keep ridin' with me!!! LOL!!! :eek: :D

25. Thats a shame. I didn't know you wasn't going.

Did you give your 'A' a thrash with no body!?!

26. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

Thought about it. Briefly. Couldn't be arsed to set it all up (MSD, fuel, seat etc) so just thought I'd crack on with getting it ready for the drags. It was also howling with rain which everyone over here knows about!

Are both you and your Dad in the Meltdown in September?

27. Levis Classic

Levis Classic

Bubba

That thing is great...would love to see it roll down the road soon!

28. The37Kid

The37Kid

Bubba, Thanks for posting the photos of the T Race car! Great looking car, I'm VERY glad you qualified it by saying it was a recent collection/build. It looks like it will be a great period representation once finished, but a dead on original will always be the more desireable car to me. That left front Dayton hub to cut down 26-27 T hub looks a bit questionable to me.

29. Norris McCarty

Norris McCarty
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd like join your 4Banger Club!
    I just bought a '31 A Pickup. Pretty much stock with the exception of hydraulic brakes and 16" Kelsey wires and a 12 volt alt. conversion. The banger has a regular type dizzy and is a fresh overhaul with inserts. Really a nice little truck. I plan on making it a regular driver as it's very solid and straight.
    I'd love to do what it takes to make it capable of hwy speeds(60-65). Where should I begin? I'll have to do a little at a time because I ain't rich. I grew up rodding flathead 8s, but I'm new to the 4 bangers.
    Any info or direction will be greatly appreciated!
    How should I spend the first grand on the engine? head, intake/carb?
    It'll be late next week, but I promise lots of pictures.
    Norris

30. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

Welcome Norris. If you're after steady 60-65mph then you may want to look at the gearing. Either a higher ratio rear end (3.27 & 3.54 gears are available for A axles) or an overdrive that replaces the torque tube (can be $$$).
    A few of us on here have a quickchange, which is another option, or you adapt and fit a 5-speed but this can be a lot of work.

Have a search through the tech archives for a qc build-up to an A axle, and through the general search for previous banger meets. Plenty of good advice there.