Register now to get rid of these ads!

Is there such thing as a COOL Hudson Pickup Rod?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gigantor, Aug 1, 2007.

1. Gigantor

Gigantor

A friend told me where to go see an old truck for sale. I found it and was a little disappointed to see a 46/47 Hudson pickup - kind of the ugly duckling of that era for trucks IMHO. Well, I got to looking at it, and I think with a little work (primarily shortening the bed) it might make a neat and seldom seen old hot rod truck.
    Has anyone seen examples of what one of these trucks can become in the hands of a talented fabricator? I'm not saying I am one, far from it, but I was wondering if it CAN be done.
    Pics would be great, I'll see if I can dredge up an example to spark some memories for those who don't recall what this truck looks like (kind of reminds me of a tired old basset hound).

Thanks in advance.

2. Gigantor

Gigantor

Here is one I found with a similar profile. Small pic, but you get the idea. Odd proportions, but stock it almost looks like the top is chopped.
    [​IMG]

3. chitbox dodge

chitbox dodge
    from dunlap tn

shit id be buying it and keepin it stock

4. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

My buddy has one that's a street rod. I'll try to get you some photos.

5. goat

goat

if you don't want it, let me try

6. willys_truck

willys_truck

those hudson pickups are some of my favorite trucks, most people think that they are a kustom already. Most people do not know that hudson made trucks.

7. Gigantor

Gigantor

Still waiting for a call back from the owner - it's pretty rough around the edges, but I think with a few minor modifications it could be one sweet little (big) truck. It's not every day you see a Hudson pickup.

8. Here is a 47 being buily at Roger's Rod and Custom in Jonesboro, Arkansas.

Sedan chassis (shorter wheelbase)
    Farman front clip.
    Fatman 4-link rear w/9"
    502 FI Chevy w/4L60E
    Pie cut hood
    Custom bed w/roll pan
    Widened sedan fenders
    Custom dash

Not a traditional rod. But it shows what can be done with one of these puppies.

Attached Files:

9. Gigantor

Gigantor

Thanks Bib - compared to that monstrosity, the stock p/u is starting to look pretty sweet.

10. gtnrkix

gtnrkix

How about it Marcy??

11. Marcy

Marcy

My Macbook died 2 weeks ago and all my photos were on that----waiting to get my hard-drive back!

Marcy

12. Marcy

Marcy

Okay these were on the golivefast website---not the best photos.

Marcy

Attached Files:

13. My town still has an ACTIVE Hudson dealer and they have 1 sitting out back. Awesome factory lines.

14. Gigantor

Gigantor

Marcy - that is COOL! Nice one. I'm sorry about your hard drive - hope you're able to retrieve the data - I'd love to see more pics. Thanks.

15. [​IMG]

Here's AverageJoe's(formerly HotrodHud)Hudson pick-up.

16. scarylarry

scarylarry

Stock, lower, done!

17. YES! I saw a bitchen one @ Turlock Swap Meet a few years ago. It was slammed and had an early 50's Caddy in it that purred. You could barely tell it was running. Looked GREAT. Lots of attitude

18. Avg.Joe

Avg.Joe

Most people either love them or hate them. I hated the long bed so I shortened it a foot and shortened the wheel base six inches. If you take it on I can give you some pointers. Joe

Attached Files:

19. Avg.Joe

Avg.Joe

Seldom seen is correct, they only produced less than 2500 for 46' and the same for 47'. The majority of the dash forward parts are the same as a sedan so parts availability is good. Bed parts can be fabricated. Factory IFS in 46', just slap a set of Hornet large drums up front and you will be in good shape. I put a built 327 Muncie 4-speed with a 9" posi in mine. It weighs 3200 lbs. and runs pretty good. If you can handle the long front end then you can make it work out.

20. Burgy

Burgy

they definitely look awesome stock, however id probably like to see it with the box about a foot shorter and maybe have the rear fenders hang out of the back about 6" or so, mold a tailight in there, and it could possibly look good with a rear bumper from an early 50's chev or something as the rear fenders kind of look like early 50's style chevy's.

then again just plain old shortened box would look mighty fine in my eyes, no need to get fancy :D

21. Sawracer

Sawracer
    from socal

Average Joes car is first class, I have seen it in person. Hudson's can definitely be cool.

22. Gigantor

Gigantor

Avg Joe - you and I are on the same page - Making just a those few mods really tightens up the proportions as far as I can see. That's one good looking truck.
    When you shortened the wheel base, was it a frame swap (if so, what frame?) or what? Again, nice ride.

23. John 79

John 79
    from Sweden

I got a 47truck and i think its the coolest truck ever built.Makes fords and chevys look like a pile of fat people with wheels.
    Hudson trucks are nice as they are but badass with some kustomising.
    I gonna keep the original length of the bed so i get that nice taildragger stance.Just look at this one,as cool as it gets!!
    [​IMG]

24. brainfrz

brainfrz

Avg. joe your truck is perfect. What is the gray paint used?
    John 79 - that is just right.

Hudson trucks can be very cool. Look out, a hole bunch will be on eocean this week, thanks to the HAMB and this thread. :)

Jon

25. boozoo

boozoo

I like the lines of the 46/47, but never really liked the nose that much. At one point I had contemplated taking all the grille area out of the one I grabbed and trying mold in something along the lines of a 50's Vette grille. Although that Caddy looking treatment looks pretty good too.

26. upzndownz

upzndownz

i've been doing pickups since the mid sixties and for my money the hudson pickups were about the coolest truck to ever roll out of an american factory

27. Gigantor

Gigantor

Mna, I never knew there were so many supporters of the Hudson pickup - all I've ever heard growing up is how fugly they were. Good for you guys. I STILL can't get in touch with the owner ... STILL trying, and trying not to panic that she's sold it already.

28. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

As far as I'm concerned the Hudson pickup is the coolest looking stock pickup ever made. I used to see an old guy driving one down the road in front of where I work. Looked to be all original. Always wanted to go chase him down to get a better look and talk to him about it. Next thing I knew it wasnt seeing them anymore. Another oportunity missed. I just hope he enjoyed it till his last day and wasn't jipped out of it.

29. John 79

John 79
    from Sweden

Look at the 41 grille,it way cooler.Im going your way an molding in a de-soto grille,my front bumper is a 53 Hudson rear bumper...

[​IMG]

30. Bull

Bull

What about doing a custom bed on it, shortening it up and "gasser-izing" it? Can't say I've seen one done like that, so I'm not sure how it'd look. Maybe its too big for that?