Register now to get rid of these ads!

O/T Any of you guys collectors of other stuff?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bad Bob, Jul 30, 2007.

1. My mom was an Antique dealer/collector. I ended up with a bunch of her stuff. It has no sentimental value to me,so I decided to sell it off. The plan was to make enough money to do the interior in my Mercury. So I found a buyer for the Star Wars crap. I was gonna ask 2K for the whole works,then my wife started looking up some of the stuff,to get an idea if i was gonna get screwed or not. WTF!!!One of the action figures is worth 2K alone!!! I was floored! Now I have her looking up EVERY piece. I've got over 120 pieces. "CHA CHING!!!

Any of you guys experienced something like that before? I'm a Hotwheel collector,but would ever sell em. I know some of them are worth some BIG bucks. My neighbor gave my son a box full of comic books,and one of them was worth $1000. I sold that thing so fast!!!

2. DrJ

DrJ

Just got back last night from Comic-Con in San Diego.

I was floored by how much money was being exchanged for a few pages of moldy yellow paper...

Was there with friends who have at least one of every Star Wars figure ever made... I think it's their retirement fund...

3. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I did collect Australian Military equipment (WWII and earlier) but I gave it all to the local RSL Museum (Returned Services League, like your VFW Clubs).
    I still have all of my combat equipment from my service, four foot lockers in all.
    Also collected Aircraft parts, had some really rare Aussy fighter and bomber parts from WWII, once again I gave them to a museum. Almost bought a complete WWII Australian built CAC MK12 Boomerang Fighter project once, had the money but no place to store a plane. I regret not buying that thing when I had the chance!
    Don't collect much anymore unless your call my 2000 odd models collecting but I have plans to build all of them, (Or give them to a museum....)

4. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

Bob, I, too found out how much some crap is worth. I had no idea until a few years ago, but there are people who collect most anything and everything.
    Pez dispencers, barbed wire, oil cans (common), GI Joes, suicide knobs (cool), you name it. A friend of mine has 300 cigarette lighters.
    The up side of Ebay is that these oddball type collectors look on there every day for whatever it is that they collect. I'd say thats the place for any odd stuff you are looking to cash in on.
    A couple of years ago I put a tin children's battery operated coin bank on Ebay. It sold for $660...and the friggin thing was broken. No shit. I can't imagine what it would have sold for if it had worked and had the original box!
    There is a guy here in town that has about 440 different kinds of ice cream scoops from around the world. Holy shit, now thats boring...to me. He also thinks I'm an idiot for having car stuff all over the place.
    Put your stuff on Ebay. You'll find a couple of people around the Country that will bid against each other for just about anything.
    Everyone has something that they collect...at least the lucky ones do.

5. wvenfield

wvenfield

I mess with all sorts of stuff. Sell stuff to buy other stuff. Sold 2 late 60's early 70's model rockets this weekend for almost $600.

5 1:24 slot cars for around $500.

I collect Hot Wheels also. Model cars especially promo versions. I don't know squat about Star Wars stuff.

6. I,m a bottle digger "look it up" and on occasion I,ll dig up some rare bottles that do not pertain to what I collect. Sold 3 one weekend for over $2,000.00 Wife lets me go digging when ever I want!

7. A friend of mine has 7 Gretsky rookie cards. A different friend just sold one for $1700.

I thought hockey cards were great to put in the spokes of my bike to make motorcycle noises with. If something is worth having/collectable/valuable, chances are I painted it, burned it, traded it or gave it to Sally Ann.

8. I collect 1/24 scale slot cars ,some I've had since I was a kid, most I bought on ebay. Have half my garage space wasted on a Revell track. Also stingray bikes, Krates, swingbikes, ect .Richard

9. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There was a race car driver over here in Oz, Peter Brock (A national legend). He was killed a while ago and I was invited to the funeral, was given a record of service and something that looks like a book mark, these were only given out at the funeral and I saw one sell a few months ago for over $1000! I wonder what the record would be worth?
    Also went to a commemorative service ate Sandown Raceway in Victoria, the record of service from that is selling for about $400 and I have about 20 of them!
    Oddly the ones from the Bathurst service (He was know as the king of the mountain, Bathurst raceway) are going for as little as $20, think Ill keep hold of the one I have.

10. motorsportsaddict

motorsportsaddict
    from Smyrna, GA

11. Jalopy Jim

Jalopy Jim

Hat pins from car events, Hat pins from traveling, coffe cups from traveling, smaller than 1/24 scale die cast cars, and 2000 plus Music LPs.

12. HemiDave

HemiDave
    from Austin, TX

Guns, Mopars, beer mugs, energy drink cans....:confused:

Dave

13. racer756

racer756

Tiki Mugs and Tiki stuff.
    Aloha!! Tiki Diablo is a ruler!

14. Silent_Orchestra

Silent_Orchestra
    BANNED
    from Omaha, NE

I have about 2,000 hot wheels cars, ton's of football cards which include 2 autographed Brett Favre and Amhan Green cards, Old tools, i have an old hand crank wall mount drill press which is pretty sweet, old car emblems, john deere tractors, toy john deere tractors, antique fishing lours, old car manuals, old car magazines, and antique lawn mowers, and small engines. I have a ton of stuff, and i love it all and would never sell it. Unless i had some $2,000 star wars action figures, i would part with them right away. But most of the things i have my dad found for me/helped me restore, so i won't get of the them, and if i do he's getting them.

15. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

debt and lots the fuck of it!:(

willbe likes this.
  16. oktr6r

oktr6r
    from Tulsa

I have a collection of old medicine bottles, most dating back around 1880 to 1900, before the screwed caps were used. Back then, the typical patent medicine was 90 proof. One of my favorites is "Swamp Chill and Fever Tonic". None of mine are worth a lot, but I've had most for 25+ years. May not seem like much, until you figure out I'm 41 now.

17. alsancle

alsancle

Everything my dad and I are into is car related, my little brother on the other hand strayed off a bit in another direction...

Attached Files:

18. 3034

I seem to be good at collecting rust.

I still have my beer can collection of 30 some years too.

19. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

Nobodys going to top a tank...nobody.

20. Toy tractors,Pedal tractors, old bellows type cameras and apparently F-1 parts. Not worth much, It'll make an estate sale someday.

21. BinderRod

BinderRod

I collected Hot Wheels. I had every Treasure Hunt from 1995 to present. I had over 5000 cars. Allmost all of the never opened. I got tired of Matell coming out with 7 or 8 different variations of the cars. The last 3 years the cars looked like crap and that was it for me. I sold the 12, 1995 Treasure Hunt in the original JCP box for 1500.00

I sold the rest of my collection for 4000.00

22. I have 10,000 diecast cars! Hard to believe,but I have collected this stuff since I was 9.
    The reason I posted this is because i'm blown away by the value of this stuff my mom had. My wife is on our other computer going crazy! Now she's mad at me cause I was gonna settle for 2K for everything.
    I need about 2K to do my interior,so anything else can go in the savings.
    Most of the car guys i've met,collect something. One guy I know collects Wynns products. Oil additives,cans,boxes,etc.

23. BinderRod

BinderRod

Bob, sell a few red lines. They go for the big bucks!
    I just got tired of the clutter. Stacked on the pool table, air hockey table, foose ball table, shuffle board table and cases and case everywhere in the basement. When I built my new house we down sized from 5000 sq ft to around 3000 sq ft. Selling mine helped me pay for the hot rod.

24. squirrel

squirrel

old computers.....typewriters....old software (like IBM PC-DOS 1.10)....electronic stuff with tubes in it, but not radios.....and thanks to my dear wife, a lot of horse manure.

I definitely don't collect anything valuable.

25. I collect Electric Guitars-I have 15 at present.....the latest is A Michael Kelly "Hot Rod" shown here....
    My wife says my collection is complete:rolleyes: ........

I also collect engines,everything from a Datsun 4 banger to a Buick supercharged V6 to 455 Olds/ to a dual quad 283 Vette engine complete-.......many Chevys have about the same #-15-20 of those
    and....:D Oh Oh Oh.....ANY speed parts-that I can daydream of someday putting to good use...Ha!!

Attached Files:

26. The37Kid

The37Kid

At the hight point of my spark plug collecting I had 600 different brands. I knew I had a problem when I was gladly paying $150.00 per plug. I think I may have 100 now, sold most to buy '37 Harley parts of pay Kids college bills. I do have 70+ different Saint Christopher medals, all have an automobile on them. I like knowing what others collect and having a knowledge of their value. I'l had major hits on PEZ dispencers, lawn sprinklers, glue bottles, and license plates.

27. BinderRod

BinderRod

Kenny, I can picture you pluckin on a double neck. Keith

28. Collected a few ex-wives over the years. Lost money on everyone of them too!

29. What don't I collect? It's getting hard to move around in parts of the house. Still have the baseball cards from the 1930s to the 1980s. Art in the form of seriographs, mezzotints, and lithography. Also modern art in the form of oil paintings. Growing up in NY my father had many artists as friends. My Mom's house has a bunch of paintings hanging on the walls. We've never bothered to inventory them but some are no doubt of interest to collectors.
    Still have my Dinky, Corgi, Hot Wheel Red Line, and Matchbox stuff from 40 years ago. Beer cans, bottles, bottle openers swizzle sticks, coins, buttons, stamps. Used to collect Hawaiian shirts, Italian sport coats from the '60s.

My favorite thing to collect is ephemera. Photos, programs, advertising etc. Did you know there was a very robust womens professional wresting league back in the 1940's? I have extensive photographic proof.

I've recently begun to collect old maps of American cities dating to the early 1900's. I'm particularly interested in railroad maps. Just missed out on some from Newark and E. St Louis.

I sold the stamp collection, the brass locomotive collection, the building full of Oldsmobile parts.
    I inherited a library of American civil war books and documents from my father. I'll probably donate that to an institute of higher learning.

I'd like to collect more of this California Real Estate. They say it's going to be a big deal someday.:D

Lately I've begun to give some of this shit away. I've been getting a thrill putting it in the hands of someone who appreciates it. It's neat when their eyes bug out.

You can't take it with you and your kids probably won't give a tinker's damn. The grandkids, though, will go nuts for it.

Oh yeah, if anyone is interested, I'm getting rid of my super 8 camera collection, projector collection, 16mm editing equipment etc.

30. Fishing lures and tackle, outboards, aircraft and car parts, panoramic photos, cameras, outsider art, maps and charts, outdoor signs, whirligigs, furniture, radios and TVs, etc.