Register now to get rid of these ads!

Getting my Lincoln chopped

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jarzenhotrods, Jul 28, 2007.

1. Jarzenhotrods

Jarzenhotrods
    from .......

This has probably been asked a million times but.......
    I got a 54 Lincoln the one in my signature. I was wondering what is the best shop to take this too. I live in vegas and could go to southern or nothern cali. Does anybody know what a ballpark figure is I should pay for this including cutting the glass all the way around. I want to retain the same shape of the top. Same back glass etc. Kind of like the 54 Merc in issue number 8 of hop up. Any info would be greatly appreciated.:)

2. JohnnyP.

JohnnyP.

email bear metal kustoms. i know we could do it.

3. squigy

squigy
    from SO.FLO.

Gambinos Kustoms.

4. Bryan

Bryan

thats a great looking car as it is! I'd pass up the chop, shave the handles, slam it, and thats it, perfect mild custom.

5. FoMoCo_MoFo

FoMoCo_MoFo

if you are in LV I would suggest going to one of these tried and true chop shops insted of someone who is going to fuck your car up: Hollywood hot rods or circle city hot rods

6. brewsir

brewsir

zzzzzzzzzz.......anybody can have a mild custom,not everybody wants one.

7. It's not the chopping as much as the glasswork. Good luck. Know many cars that still don't have glass cause it's such a bitch...and expensive. Too many guys are all caught up in chopping,and don't do any homework on the glass,BEFORE doing the chop.

8. The Neophyte

The Neophyte
    from AZ

I think it would look great chopped...just not to much.

A word of caution. When my friend was chopping his 54 ford he destroyed at least 2 windshields before he got one that was forgiving and didn't crack on him. I'm sure Lincoln windshields are a lot harder to find. Be prepared to have a back up handy.

9. Was there a 54 lincoln Convertable ?
    Sometimes the 'vert windshields are a couple inches shorter.

Or you can sink the glass into the cowl,so it doesn't have to be cut.

10. cornernfool

cornernfool

There were 54 Lincoln converts, but they used the same glass as the hardtops. Those cars really need to be sectioned, not choped in my opinion.:D

11. Jarzenhotrods

Jarzenhotrods
    from .......

Thanks For all the advice guys. I am kind of on the fence now. I talked to a buddy of mine who works for a glass shop, he said even with the "good guy" price it would be expensive. So at this point i dont know. I am shaving the door handles and takin some more chrome off now. I will probably do a custom front bumper too and interior. I am refinancing the house right now and will have some extra cash so the Ol lady gave me a choice either a Hot Rod of a chopped top. Had customs never a hot rod, so its still up in the air. By the way Iam still going to c-notch the rear and bag it. Thanks again. :D

12. old beet

old beet

Only chop it a couple inches. Lean the back glass. Side windows, no problem. Not a bad W/S to cut. Are the vent frames pot metal? That can be tuff. Remember all the SS trim can get $$$$$. PM me if I can help........OLDBEET

13. hhrTroy

hhrTroy
    from Burbank

THANKS!!

We have chopped everything from Model A's to T-birds to Chevy's to late & early coupe's:

http://hollywoodhotrods.com/51ChevyChop.htm
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=163762

All chops must be designed around the glass..period. We don't consider plexiglass or lexan an option. But there are a few ways to deal with it. Also usually the windwings can be modified to work as well (even if they are pot metal).
    Stainless or aluminum trim can also be modified, welded, smoothed etc. then re-polished, depending on the overall chop design.

Let me know if you need any more info...maybe I can help.

14. westcoaster

westcoaster
    from SoCal

what should one expect to pay for a few inch chop on a car like this with curved glass front and back. i know theres variables and different levels of finish. just like to get some input from you guys who do this for a living.