Register now to get rid of these ads!

Wheel Cylinder Sleeving

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jen......, Jul 25, 2007.

1. Jen......

Jen......

Does anyone know of a good place to send wheel cylinders to be sleeved? I am looking for one for a 1953 Ford I have here which needs the front wheel cylinders sleeved. Thanks in advance for any help in this endeavor

hugs

Jen

2. dentisaurus

dentisaurus
    from Boston

I don't know about resleaving the cylinders but I just replaced both the front cylinders on my 53 drum brake set up brand new for $53 each. Straight from my local parts guy (advanced auto parts, you can shop on line with them too). just a thought

3. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

Autozone and the other boxes either have them on the shelf new,, or can get them....

As a matter of fact Autozone as most of the brake stuff for 50's fords on the shelf,, the only thing they dont have are hoses and adjusters,, however 85 ford ranger with small rear brakes have the same style adjuster.

4. 51 MERC-CT

51 MERC-CT

5. duffro

duffro
    from oakland

If you absolutely have to sleeve. Check out Whitepost. I didn't check for a web-site but they advertise in Hemmings. I've had to send a couple things back but they made it right in the end.

6. Jen......

Jen......

7. enjenjo

enjenjo
    from swanton oh

I have a complete set of rebuilt 11" wagon brakes that will fit the front of that. PM me if you are interested.

By the way, Whitepost gets $80 to sleeve a wheel cylinder.

8. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

For sleeving operations, check out many of the Corvette restorers - it's a common issue for their '60s brakes...

9. has anyone looked into sleeving one with a thin sleeve of stainless similar to a sleeve the use to sleeve a harmonic balancer? bore cylinder out and use loc-tite "shaft saver" compound to retain sleeve. or is that how they do it anyway. my old machinist always used brass and it never had a issue.

10. just did a little checking the place that does resleeving is called white post restorations they are on the east coast and they use brass sleeves that are lifetime warranty. 2-3 day turnaround ready to bolt on when you get them back.

11. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

Don't know if they do wheel cylinders but they do master cylinders. Try www.brakecylinder.com They sleeved a master for me. Also Pep Boys advertises they stock everything. Found an 84' Audi wheel cylinder kit there.

12. Jen......

Jen......

thank you for everyones advice ,

does anyone have a hollanders interchange manual that would tell me what other brake cylinders will work with this vehicle?

hugs

Jen

13. nexxussian

nexxussian

Jen, I don't know if it will help, but the people I know swear by (not at) Apple Hydraulics . Still pricey I know, but when I called them to have a brake servo (remote brake booster) overhauled they recommended I buy a new one (actually cheaper) and they told me who to call. If nothing else they might know what interchanges with your wheel cylinder.

14. nmbuellist

nmbuellist

HAGEN'S in Puyallup, Washington, they did one for my 39 Dodge and had me on the road in a week. Good service and a good rebuild, good people.

15. 51 MERC-CT

51 MERC-CT

There are right and left side as well as front and rear. I suspect you were looking at the wrong cylinders for the application. :) :D :confused:

16. Jen......

Jen......

the angle is only slightly off , just enough that it will hit the kingpin . and yes i am looking at the correct ones , i have been to alot of stores in this town and they even ordered some and all were the same. i do know there is rights and lefts but these wont work for this car that i have seen so far

Jen

17. 51 MERC-CT

51 MERC-CT

Just a thought, did you have the spindles off and (or) install new kingpins? If so it's an outside possiblity that the spindles are installed upside down.

18. Jen......

Jen......

kingpins havent been removed, i still have the original wheel cylinders and see that the angle of the new ones is different .

Jen