Register now to get rid of these ads!

TECH-- Ten more homemade hot rod shop tools.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kiwi Kev, May 27, 2007.

1. old dirt tracker

old dirt tracker
    from phoenix

a word of advise from experience. that chisel picture remined me a something that happened to a friend of mine . hammering on a chisel with the end all frayed over a chip flew off and he lost the sight in one eye. take the time to keep the hammer end of your chisels ground off when you are sharping the buisness end.

2. 29 sedanman

29 sedanman
    from Indy

Great tech post Kev!

3. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Good stuff here! Thanks!

4. Rusty

Rusty

Man this is awesome!!!! Thanks as I will definatley be using them. To the top for tech we if my vote counts. Something everyone here on the hamb can use in there shops

Rusty

5. killer tech dude! here is a update take a old refrigerator door seal and hot glue it to the base. when you knock over holder magnet helps keep things in holder. hot glue guns are at the dollar store. :D

6. erock805

erock805

Kev you are amazin...thanks so much for this thread.

7. BigRed390

BigRed390

Great thread! Going to have to put it to good use this weekend! Can't decide which one to try first!:D

8. VonMoldy

VonMoldy
    from UTARRGH!

man that is cool you inspired me also I realized I am so lame I never think to make a tool I always just think if it doesn't exist or I don't have one thats it I am just out of luck. I need to make more tools. I think that should be my new years resolution.

9. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

Check the phone book for a local Tack Shop, or horse saddle shop. I had one stitch up square sandbag for me. He wasn't happy with his work, so he didn't charge me for it! I thought it looked fine. Works great. I also bought a round one from DonDanno here on the HAMB. It isn't filled yet, but is really nice, and was very affordable.
    A good heavy sand bag mags a nice weight for holding things, too.

-Brad

10. Aman

Aman
    from Texas

Kev your my kinda builder. Thanks for the post, you are a talented individual. Keep up the good work!
    Edit: Looks like MISTER low buck is living up to his name.

11. Great stuff. I'd love a wheel caliper for around here

12. kustomkat

kustomkat

I guess I have a couple more projects now..

13. vonpahrkur

vonpahrkur

Bloody-Good on ya, cock! :)

14. you should see his side fence....you can get in...but never out!!! some sort of chineese kiwi fingertrap deal.

15. Kiwi, I have one of those tools with the hook and chain for drilling hanging in my garage, we Millwrights call them an " old man". I have used it alot on constuction jobs where theres no drill press or mag base drill available.

16. The Lone Wolf

The Lone Wolf
    from Malta

great tips kev
    cheers

17. Woogeroo

Woogeroo
    from USA

Great stuff.

thanks for sharing.

-W

18. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

Chevy valve spring compressor for changing springs on the engine, ford 9" narrowing jig, engine stand attachment to hold rear axles, just to mention a few

Attached Files:

19. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

This is a great reading, would love to see more, anybody else have any they wanna share......

20. Thanks Kiwi, you posted an awesome thread.

21. noboD

noboD

That's a "deadman" to a PA. Millwright. Excellant thread.

22. Dahlhjelm

Dahlhjelm

This is the so called finger snatcher.

Easy to build and so effective! This is the tool you need when your sanding/polishing your wheels.

Just mount the motor to the frame and cut out a round wooden disk that will fit into the wheel hub. You can lathe the wooden disk when its mounted to the motor to fit correcly into the wheel hub. Then you take another round wooden disk that is abit bigger so it fits above the wheel. See below.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is how a old mag turns out after 2 mins of sanding and then 5 mins of polishing.

23. I did a similar deal with my drill press, I wish I knew an easy way to polish the centers!

24. Dahlhjelm

Dahlhjelm

Put on some thick gloves and hold your hand in the right direction. Else it'll snatch your fingers.

25. boozoo

boozoo

"Outstanding, Private Pyle!"

Thanks for posting this! I especially like the brake and the embossing press.... those I can put to real good use real soon!

26. atch

atch

dahlhjelm & richard d: how fast do you spin the wheels?

27. Dahlhjelm

Dahlhjelm

The motor i used is a 400V 3 phase industrialmotor at full speed. Dont know how much it revs but i'll check it tomorrow.

28. mounted a two-wheel dolly tire to a piece of all-thread I mounted my wheel on a lazy susan and clamped it to the drill press table, wheth the wheel contacting the dolly tire. I lowered the speed after the tire flew out of the chuck!

29. Mercmad

Mercmad
    BANNED
    from Brisvegas

here a 3ph motor runs a 1430RPM...be very careful.
    I was going to use a metal spinning lathe until a young guy who does metal polishing put me straight about the centers,he uses a 9" disc grinder with a polishing mop mounted to an arbour to do the centers.
    Spinning an open wheel in a lathe and attempting to polish it can result in your hand getting caught in the spokes etc .

30. Mercmad

Mercmad
    BANNED
    from Brisvegas

ehoa! bro!,that couch must have seen action eh?