Register now to get rid of these ads!

Driving across the USA, anyone want to give HAMBAndy some well wishes?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RacerRick, Jul 23, 2007.

1. RacerRick

RacerRick

As I have mentioned before, I am driving across America on my way to the HAMB drags and am filming it as part of a documentary.

After hearing of the troubles that HAMBAndy is going through, I thought it might be nice to send him some well wishes and good vibes. If any HAMB’rs are interested, I think it would be cool to meet up along the way, and we can film anyone who wants to give Andy some well wishes, do a burnout for him, show him a cool rod or two, or anything else cool you can think of.

Here is my current itinerary, but its real flexible. There are a couple of days of heavy driving on the interstate. The route is along old Route 66.

Day 1 – 14th of August - Toronto Ontario to Lansing MI (leaving after work – get there in the evening)

Day 2 – 15th of August - Lansing to Springfield IL

Day 3 – 16th of August - Springfield IL to Joplin MO

Day 4 – 17th of August - Joplin MO to Amarillo, TX (hard driving day)

Day 5 – 18th of August - Amarillo TX to Gallup NM

Day 6 – 19th of August - Gallup NM to Las Vegas

Day 7 – 20th of August – No driving – just hanging out in Las Vegas

Day 8 – 21st of August – Las Vegas to Santa Monica

Day 9 – 22rd of August – LA! Want to spend some time seeing cool cars and people.

Day 10 – 23rd of August – On the way to Mokan

Day 11 – 24th of August - On the way to Mokan

Day 12 – 25th HAMB Drags

The next few days are the drive home where I wouldn’t mind stopping along the route from Mokan to Toronto if anyone wants to give Andy a thumbs up or message. If he is in Cali when I am, I will give him a DVD of all the people who took the time to stop and get filmed on the way, plus anyone from the drags when I get home. If he isn't, I will send him the DVD with everything I got when I get back home and have a chance to put it together.

2. Duration

Duration
    from Wayne, MI

that is a pretty intense travel scheduel. i wish you luck on your trip. what are you driving?

3. Doc.

Doc.
    Member Emeritus

Hey Rick,

If your comming through Shreveport on the 17th I'm game. LMK.

Doc.

4. DeucePhaeton

DeucePhaeton

Where is he staying in Lansing, MI?

5. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Just an opinion BUT you should decide on either Vegas or LA and give yourself another extra day to get to the Drags. LA to Joplin, MO in just two days, very difficult, especially if you want to be able to enjoy the Drags once you get there.

You should try to ARRIVE in Joplin no later then Friday afternoon if you want to experience the whole "venue" and you really should give yourself alittle extra time in case something happens along the way. One hiccup on that part of the leg and you've just now missed the most fun event in the whole country. Speaking from someone who drives cross country for pleasure in an old car quite often....shit happens.:D

Good luck, have fun, see ya at the Drags.:cool:

6. Goztrider

Goztrider
    from Tulsa, OK

If you come through Tulsa, give a yell at me. I'm on the east side of Tulsa, about 2-3 miles from I-44. I'd be happy to say to the kid.

Get well Andy! The line to go for a ride in your A is going to be a long one!

7. RacerRick

RacerRick

I was thinking of abandoning vegas. It might just be too much for this trip, and I might be taking my friends teenage son now.

It also gives me another couple of days in socal. The fleetline will probally need the rest! The two day banzai run to Joplin as possibly going to be with some other guys in a caravan. Its about 16 hours on the road. I am a little leery about that....

I think I am going to ditch vegas for this time. At least the fleetline is running pretty good right now. I bet it breaks now that I said it.

I was just going to get a hotel in lansing. I stayed at a holiday inn I believe the last time I was there and it was ok, other than someone keyed my friends import car. Anyone have any better place to stay?

8. oktr6r

oktr6r
    from Tulsa

I'm right off Route 66 in Tulsa. I'll be at work on the 17th when you pass thru, but if you run into any problems, I'll do what I can to help out.

PM me if you want a cell # just in case of trouble, or if you'll be thru here after 5:00 P.M.

9. Casey

Casey
    Member Emeritus

If you you were coming thrue austin I would love to have ya stop by my little shop in the hill country! have a great trip!.. Casey.

10. RacerRick

RacerRick

How far is austin from amarillo? If I go to austin, vegas is definately out.

11. Goztrider

Goztrider
    from Tulsa, OK

Austin's a good 8-10 hours SSE of Amarillo. But that's just a guesstimate timewise.

12. I'm in KC,MO if ya wanna stop going in either direction you're more than welcome.
    Benno

13. RacerRick

RacerRick

Cool - is there a lot of HAMB'rs in Austin? To do austin means no vegas...

14. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Your joking right???:eek: :rolleyes:

I would give up Vegas for Austin any day of the year.

15. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

GO Austin.....a very fine city....
    And Rick.....when your near Amarillo.....drop down an hour and visit the Duke of Wellington......FlatTopBob.

You will not be dissapointed.

16. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Always welcome here in Fresno. I would love to show you my collection. Skip

17. litemupok

litemupok

i'd totally be up for a quick handshake, a lunch burger, or even put you up for the evening...let me know what i can do...

parents (also huge car folks) live in elk city

I live in oklahoma city

you're welcome at either...

18. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Elk City, OK....THEE friendist town I have ever visited, period.
    (Power Tour 2000 I believe it was)

19. Roothawg

Roothawg

okies rule.......

20. FLAT-TOP BOB

FLAT-TOP BOB
    HAMB O'dex Editor

stop by, you can look through the junk yard! we are just 20 miles south of i-40 and right between okc and amarillo.

call if you need too-- 800-798-2581

bob

21. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Send me a PM if you can swing through Kansas City.

22. RacerRick

RacerRick

My girl can't come, so I have decided to make another kids birthday cool, as well as doing some film for Andy.

My friends kid, Garion, is going to be coming with me for his birthday present. He just graduated highschool and is working on a 69' Cutlass for his first car.

23. would an OkC stop be possible? would enough folks be able to make it to be worthwhile? He's gonna be comin down 44 to 40. Meridian there would be keen for a pit stop and well wishing for Andy...
    whatch y'all think?

24. RacerRick

RacerRick

I could stop there....

25. We are in St Louis MO and you will be near our shop on day three from Springfield IL to Joplin MO. If you want to, the shop would be open and you could stop in for a bit. We are a full service custom shop and you could take a break, look over your ride and work on it if need be. We would love to have ya! Give me a call or PM me if interested. Here is a link to our contact page and a yahoo map: http://www.cleancutcreations.com/contact.html

JOHN@ CCC
    314-968-8377

26. RacerRick

RacerRick

I am thrashing on the body of the car to get it read for the trip!

New passenger side quarter is installed, the drivers side is almost installed, and a new rocker and door is waiting. I will go up to the shop tonight and see if I can finish the quarter and get started on the rocker panel and door.

Its going to get painted this sunday, body work done or no...just to make it one color. I am tempted to just get more krylon and re-spraybomb it since it will be getting real paint at a later date.

It has no leaks, starts and runs good, and is a lot quicker than I expected.

27. RacerRick

RacerRick

We are roughly following Route 66 on our drive. Anyone along the way? We can stop anywhere since this is just a rough itinerary. Going to Austin has a couple of LONG driving days. Most days are 5-6 hours driving, with a couple of 8-9 hour days for Austin.

Day 1 – 14th of August - Toronto Ontario to “somewhere in Michigan”. Our goal is to get over the boarder. We are open for suggestions – anyone want to hang out and check out the fleetline?

Day 2 – 15th of August – “Somewhere in Michigan” to around Springfield IL

Day 3 – 16th of August - Springfield IL to Joplin MO . Coming through Chicago!

Day 4 – 17th of August - Joplin MO to Austin, TX (hard driving day). We will be coming through Oklahoma city

Day 5 – 18th of August - Resting after the previous days drive – who wants to meet up?

Day 6 – 19th of August – Austin TX to Amarillo TX (Another hard driving day)

Day 7 – 20th of August – Amarillo TX to Gallup NM

Day 8 – 21st of August – Gallup NM to Amboy CA

Day 9 – 22rd of August – Amboy CA to LA! CA Want to spend some time seeing cool cars and people. Anyone up for it? Anyone caravaning down to mokan?

Day 10 – 23rd of August – On the way to Mokan

Day 11 – 24th of August - On the way to Mokan

Day 12 – 25th HAMB Drags
    The rest is completely unplanned and we will play it by ear.

28. Goztrider

Goztrider
    from Tulsa, OK

Looks like work is going to keep me away from hooking up with you at this time. If you're coming back through Tulsa at any time on a weekend or later in the evening (after public school hours) give me a shout and I'll see if I can wrangle myself away.

29. RacerRick

RacerRick

Thats too bad...I was hoping to hook up with as many hambers as possible.

30. I live in Joplin. Any idea what time of day you will arrive in town??? I would be up for a pic along with the convert to send for Andy.
    [​IMG]

Around here we have WzJunk in Neosho and Jim C in Webb City. Likely others I don't know. Bob