Register now to get rid of these ads!

OT(?) Whadda ya wear for shoes in the shop?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Groucho, Jul 20, 2007.

1. What do you guys like for comfort. Most of us here are on our feet all fucking day working on cars. Bending on one knee, while curling up one foot, etc. After a few hours, I'm good, but my feet are killing me on some days. What do you like, and where do you get em? PS-i don't like wearing boots, just a comfortable shoe, thanks

2. Von Dago

Von Dago
    from New Jersey

3. rodknocker

rodknocker

I think top choice would be my black chuck taylors, but after a while, I need to throw on some nike hiking shoes.

4. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

steel toe timberlands (that are to big for me) :)

5. my regular shoes eventually rotate into shop shoe.. right now I wear some old adidas with the sole falling off.

6. Omega

Omega
    from Mass

DVS brand skate shoes, along with D.C also.

7. the-rodster

the-rodster

If they're good enuff for Jesus, they're good enuff for me...

Attached Files:

• foot.jpg
      foot.jpg
      File size:
      22.4 KB
      Views:
  8. 29ZZ4FORD

29ZZ4FORD
    from NWFLA

I know you said shoes. But my most comfortable pair are my boots. Thorogood(sp) boots made in the USA and very comfortable. I wear them all day most days. As a dealer mech I am on my feet all the time. They also make work shoes. I get them at the local Carhardt store. Not cheap but they last.

Good luck.

9. Gummi Bear

Gummi Bear

If I'm going to be doing much of anything, I wear my Red Wing steel toes.

If I'm just farting around, doing electrical or whatever, I wear my Crocs.

For kneeling, I wear some big squishy knee pads like a tile layer would wear. Looks goofy, yes, but my knees don't hurt nearly as bad anymore.

10. If you're going to argue for sandals in the shop at least take a picture that doesn't show a bleeding toe. :D :p :D

JH

11. Chris Casny

Chris Casny

I always wear the Hi top converse. They suck for welding, I have many scars on the top of my feet.
    I know wearing Converse, is not the smartest choice, in an "industrial" setting, but they are comfortable.

12. Speed King

Speed King
    from Omaha

That is hilarious!

13. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

I generally wear my flip flops.........seriously....
    In the winter, it's old school Adias hightops, or Vans..........with the laces real loose so I can slip 'em on....haha!

14. Kamp

Kamp
    from Peoria, IL

I'm right there with the "good" shoes turning into "shop" shoes. I always wear steel toe boots in the shop though...required for work, too. I've had good luck with "Grinders" for daily shoes.. now in the shop, and my work boots are Red Wing. Check out the Red Wing shoes.... kinda high price, but they out last everything else I've tried and are more comfortable... (i.e. I was going through $80 boots every 4 - 6 months... I bought $160 R.W. almost a year ago and the leather is just now starting to scuff. You do the math) They make "work shoes" too if you don't want a boot.
    No, I'm not a salesman.... :D I just like 'em.

Kamp

15. RacerRick

RacerRick

Depends on what I am doing. If its just a tuneup or something, I wear an old pair of Vans or Airwalks. If its anything involving welding or heavy stuff - my steel toes.

16. That's EXACTLY what i was thinking. When i saw that picture, i nearly pissed myself!

17. red wing steel toes! years ago saw my friends dad's foot after a large foundry casting fell on his steel toe boot,smashed badly but still there. only took 8 weeks to get rid of the limp. be good to them and soak them in epsom salts, it's damm near as good as a "courtesy reach-around" from the old lady.:D :D

18. Redneck Smooth

Redneck Smooth
    from Cincinnati

Chucks in the summer. Boots in the winter and if I'm welding. A few people I know wear sandles WHEN WELDING after repeatedly catching a hot ball in the top of their shoes - the reasoning is that with sandles you can get the molten ball out a lot easier. I guess it makes sense...

19. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

I wear flip-flops, unless I'm welding.
    Then I wear socks as well!

20. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Whatever pair matches my outfit and nails for the day.;)

Seriously though, I'm in the group that does the old pair of regualr shoes turn into garage/yard shoes once they completed their normal usefullness.

21. Lately, a pair of new - and cheap at $20. from Big 5 - running shoes with gel cushioned heel.
    They're working out pretty good.
    I usually downgrade my everyday tennies for shop wear, but went for new this time around.

I ain't impressed by RedWings.
    I've tried several times to break-in a pair of nice - and expensive - Redwing work shoes that were touted as great for standing on cement all day.
    They lied....

Not too impressed with their boots either.
    I wear a common size at 10-D and those never fit worth a damn.

One thing that really helps in the garage are several pieces of carpet scraps to kneel on.
    Get the cushiest stuff you can find.
    Makes life a lot easier, plus little things like glass taillight lenses don't break if you drop them on the carpet.

Get some fairly bg pieces, 3' x 4' or so and several smaller ones maybe 1' x 6'.
    I have enough to go all the way around the car . . . makes life easy when I'm waxing it.

Thinking about it a bit, it looks like gluing some carpet padding on the back of the carpet scraps would really make life nice.

Your dog will like hanging out on the carpet as well.
    Two of my three dachshunds like to spend the day in the garage with me no matter the weather and they always take over one of the big pieces of carpet.
    They much prefer the garage heater to be next to the carpet on cold days.
    And like you'd think, they're both guys . . . the female doxie prefers the house most times....:D

22. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

STEEL TOES if I'm doing heavy fab or assembly stuff. HAVE SAVED MY TOES SEVERAL TIMES!!!!! Actually dropped a mill indexer on my foot and didn't realize what happened until after the fact. Otherwise, if I'm just doing some light welding, body work stuff or just playin' around with mock-ups and such, I'll wear something more comfy like chucks or vans.

23. chuckspeed

chuckspeed

Flip-flops.

Seriously - you've got to replace footwear every ten weeks if you have foot issues; the stuff that makes them shock absorbent breaks down.

As a kid, I had no prob being on my feet all day; in my 30's it became a painful bitch - until I got orthotics. they've made all the difference in the world; can remain on my feet for hours these days with no complaint.

24. the-rodster

the-rodster

Shit happens...

I forgot to add, sandals are the ONLY thing I wear in the shop.

You gotta let the boys breathe...

Rich

25. I usually wear boots laced up snugly but comfortably. I learned the hard way – I used to lace up my boots just tight enough for them to stay on. Once while welding vertically, a big ball of slag fell onto the laces of one of my boots. I shook my foot to knock it off and it rolled inside under the tongue.:eek: By the time I untied the boot and loosened the laces enough to get it off, the slag had cooled, but the 1/8 inch deep hole in the top of my foot continued to smoke for a while.:D

26. DIRTYT

DIRTYT
    from Warren,MI

i have one pair of shoes. Vans. welding slag drops right down in them nice. they do a great job of protecting your toe when you drop a rear end housing on them too :rolleyes: last week i had to choose between car parts or shoes.

i still have my old Vans on!:D

27. JDHolmes

JDHolmes
    from Spring TX

Walmart black sneakers, velcro type with arch support (they call them walking shoes) for about $10. I've had two back surgeries so I have issues when changing shoe heel angle and these are comfortable all the time...not to classy looking, but they are comfortable and safe.

28. CT's. Chuck Taylor cross-trainers (hi-tops).

29. randydupree

randydupree
    from archer fl

i wear SAS shoes,san antonio shoe company.
    slip ons,i have sevaral pairs,i change them at noon,makes my bad back and knees fell better.
    i used to wear nikes,they are good too.
    good shoes cost money.
    Randy

30. ...wino's, or chucks.

....boxers, white t-shirt, levi's, and white socks:D this should save us another thread, heehee.