Register now to get rid of these ads!

Steamboat's new ride and his Iraq bike.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Steamboat, Jun 2, 2007.

1. Steamboat

Steamboat

Sup guys, Here's my new girl, a 1958 Mercury Monterey. got her a few months ago for $1800. Runs, drives and looks pretty damn good. I bought her over the phone and my Dad went and picked her up. It will be another 6 or 7 months until I get to drive her, though. Stupid war. Here she is:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Steamboat

Steamboat

Plans are:

1. Get home
    2. Add Glasspacks with chrom tips
    3. Cut the coils in front and add blocks to the rear leaves.
    4. Bolt on some old Supremes with thin whites.
    5. Get a stereo of some kind with some bump in the trunk.
    6. Hopefully lace/pattern the roof and pinstripe her, maybe.

I'm going for the mid/late sixties custom-lowrider look for her, hopefully I'll be able to track down some badass accesories, too. The car is in really good shape, I almost don't want to screw with it too much, but I have too. It's way too hign. Airbags or juice are in the future, but if I juice it, I'm gonna want to hop the shit out of it ,and start breaking shit, don't want to do that to a clasic. You guys got any feedback? Any and all comments, even negative, are welcomed with open arms. I'll put up some pics of my Iraq bike later.
    Thanks guys!!

John
    (Steamboat)

3. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Sounds like a fun project!
    Be careful over there, and get home healthy and ready to ride!

4. flatoz

flatoz

nice car,

but what the hell is that dog? looks like a german shepard crossed with a labrador. cool looking dog though anyway.

5. draggin ass

draggin ass
    BANNED
    from hell

6. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

Real clean car to start with. I think the dog is proud of it because he and the car are the same color. Nice!

7. Steamboat

Steamboat

8. 36couper

36couper
    from ontario

My dog looks exactly the same. (nice car BTW). Looks like a Belgian Malinois (shepard). Smart as a whip and obedient.

9. HOOLIGAN350

HOOLIGAN350

That's a crazy cool lookin car. I like that it's sumthing you don't see everyday (well I don't). Pimp it out, do like you said and make it an early style lowrider, but don't bag it or juice it in my opinion. Just lower it like you said and save up later for real dropped springs and leafs. Let it be low all the time. Just my .02 cents cool ride and enjoy the hell out of it when you get back. God speed

10. Gigantor

Gigantor

I KNOW someone on the HAMB is restoring a vintage 50s custom and would probably put out a contract on your life for those taillights. Nice ride! ;)

11. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Nice car. Get home safe.

12. AstroZombie

AstroZombie

i dig it man! how 'bout dual exhaust no mufflers into a set of bellflowers? i like the supremes, lowered and laced idea too! i think bellwlowers would flow with this car well.

get home soon man, us guys are pullin for ya over there.

13. Mistersponge

Mistersponge

Love the car man, that bike thread is awesome. I'm headed to Turkey in nov for 15 mos. . . dont want to leave my 57 behind :(

14. Da' Bomb

Da' Bomb

take care,God Bless and come home safe
    Pat

15. gearjam1

gearjam1

Nice car score, and the bike looks like a great way to pass the time in the sandbox! I spent my time at Ali Al Saleem in Kuwait, 40 miles from the Iraqi border. Close as I wanted to get... (Mistersponge-if you haven't been there before, Turkey is the sh#t!! I loved it...the food, the women, the food!) You guys both be safe, and remember to have fun-no matter where Uncle Sam drops ya'!

16. Silhouettes 57

Silhouettes 57

Man that Merc is killer and I like what you plan to do with it.
    I like that bike too, reminds me when I was in the Army back in the 60's we got ahold of some Vespa motor scooters and that was our release.
    Thanks for your service to our world, come home safe.

17. Steamboat

Steamboat

Due to all the love and support I've recieved from the HAMB, I'm gonna go ahead and start posting up my progress pics. If you want to see what happened between Iraq and now, check out this link right here.....

http://www.losboulevardos.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3575

As of right now, I am waiting on my new seat covers to get here, and I'm waiting on my buddy Sethro to start re-doing the airbags. I need some good deals on frontend rebuilds, but I'm trying to avoid Kanter, and everyone else I talked to either wouldn't call me back or wanted way too much. Where do you guys go for tie rod ends, ball joints and whatnot?

John

18. Steamboat

Steamboat

Updates for your ass!!! Dave (Kustomrace) from the H.A.M.B caught wind of my Mercury situation after I posted it over there. He sent me a PM and told me to call him. After talking with him for a few minutes, it turns out he sprays paint!! After telling him I had a bike project in bare metal, he told me to bring it by after my court appearance and he would shoot it for F-R-E-E!!!! Hell yeah, I threw the frame and paint in my sisters truck and headed out to Warren. After all was said and done at the 37A District Courthouse, we went for a ride up to St. Claire Shores where we rounded out the rest of the day eating, drinking, and bullshitting. He said he will probably shoot it this weekend, but I'm not sure if he knows how to put pictures up yet. Here's how I left it at his house after Felix got done blasting it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Hopefully next pictures, it will either be in primer, or in some type of PAINT!!!!
    :D

19. jdustu

jdustu
    from Detroit

Hey dude, how did it go at the courthouse? You were up in my hood today:)

-Josh

20. raven

raven

Steamboat,
    I read the whole thread on your other site.
    Entertaining although there were no suprises there for me.
    I hope you are able to get the problems ironed out in a timey fashion. Your ride is way too cool to let sit for too long.
    Peace.
    r

21. Steamboat

Steamboat

Jdustu, I'll let you know when I cruise up there to pick it up and maybe we can kick it.

Raven, thanks man!! We got it all taken care of.

4t64rd, thanks for the link, but I'm not seeing my suspension components on there.
    :confused:

[​IMG]
    Got her all sanded down and ready for primer.
    [​IMG]
    The left side can be seen here after being sanded with 150. The right is fresh out the blaster.
    [​IMG]
    Primed!!!
    [​IMG]
    Primer on the ass end as well!!!!!
    [​IMG]
    Now for some color....................."Bahgdad Brown"!!!!!!
    [​IMG]
    1st coat for that ass.
    [​IMG]
    Third coat!!! Yeah!!!
    He said it should be ready for pickup tomorrow or so. I'm not sure when I'm gonna make it down there but there you have it!!!!

John

22. Steamboat

Steamboat

UPDATE!!!
    :D :D :D
    Sethro got all of his other crap out of the way and work has begun on recliaming Alice. I must've called him 6 times the other day while he was trying to get some work done. I had to work with Steffen on some music this evening, and discovered a way to stop by Sethro's house on the way.
    Bonus: I brought along my new Canon Rebel XSI and her and Alice became aquinted for the first time.

[​IMG]
    Out of the cold and into the warm abode of a very talented craftsmen's lair.

[​IMG]
    Looking up at a car that will be very down.

[​IMG]
    The cats were unimpressed. (For the record, I hate cats with a passion)

[​IMG]
    A good portion of Adamo's random crap somehow made it to the cieling of Sethro's shop.

[​IMG]
    Speaking of Sethro, he managed to score himself a 27 (I think) Model T roadster that was just down the road.These guys know how to wheel and deal.

[​IMG]
    HAMBers and Boulevardren, this is where $388 of your donations went: New frontend kit!!!

[​IMG]
    Sethro. Alice. Grinding. Sitting.

[​IMG]
    Oh, fuck me huh? Fuck YOU!! Sethro and his nieghbor Jack.

[​IMG]
    Gettin' busy with the cut wheel.

[​IMG]
    "Pippy Longstocking is coooooooming into your world........................"

[​IMG]
    Apparently in the time Sethro has had my car, he mananged to convince the plastic skull I got from him that "Those big ugly ass fiberglass boats" (fender skirts) had no place on "A car that is 100% Ford metal" He refuses to be involved in anything having to do with these skirts going on my car. (Dave, are you reading this? Hint, hint, hint ;) )

I would like to take this moment to draw your attention to an artifact Seth stumbled across at a swap meet. The guy didn't want to part with it, but Sethro managed to talk him out of it for a price that will not be printed here as it will make every last one of you jealous, and I don't want people coming after him with guns until after my car is all done.
    "Yosemite Sam" was a Detroit painter from the 70's. He did alot of grovvy stuff, and I'm assuming, did alot of heavy drugs. If this next piece doesn't make your heart stop, you need to get the hell off this board and find yourself a new hobby.................

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Whoa!!! I somehow negleted to get detail shots, but if anyone want to see more, let me know. And no, it is not and will never be for sale, I already tried and got shut down rather forcefully.

23. Steamboat

Steamboat

[​IMG]
    Holy hell, my car is being held up by a floor creeper!?! WTF Sethro!?! A WOODEN floor creeper at that!?!
    :confused:

[​IMG]
    Yup, Winter is here, and it sucks. The cool thing is, he is hauling ass on this. He wants to have his T ready for Autorama, but my car is on the chopping block right now. (I'm speaking figuratively, we are NOT chopping the top.) My mother tells me I got a box in the mail at my old house, and I've got a pretty good hunch it is my airbags. Also, my new seat cover should be coming by the end of the week, so we'll see how that goes. Sethro lives about 20 minutes away from me, so updates should be regular. We'll see how it unfolds. Any comments, concerns, criticisms or random crap are all welcome.

:cool:John

24. its_a_nick

its_a_nick
    from Sweden

Great to see you getting back at it.

25. Nice to see the world throwing one your way for a change...
    Keep at it man, you'll be on the road before you know it at this rate.
    Bret

26. Appleseed

Appleseed

That tank flat rules. There is a special place in Hell for anyone who'd try to re-paint it.

27. Yosemite Sam is still painting.

28. jdustu

jdustu
    from Detroit

Cool shit dude:)

29. Skate Fink

Skate Fink
    Member Emeritus

He puts on the Pinstriper's Jam at the Detroit Autorama....