Register now to get rid of these ads!

Cinematic Journey and a Motor Vehicle Investigator

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Petejoe, Jul 10, 2007.

1. tjm73

tjm73

So she is dedicated to her job enough to question something even on vacation and she's the bad guy? Anyone that own's a business would be happy to have that kind of an employee. But because she's a state employee and she questioned something about your plates, she's nasty no good something..something.

2. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

So much for me and you ever hooking up......I'm NEVER moving to WV:D

3. rsg2506

rsg2506

No..she's not a bad guy.

She's just an asshole.

4. Flathead Youngin'

Flathead Youngin'

hahaha, quite the perspective you've got there......i supposed you love big brother?

besides, i teach school and if i were to rip your kid's butt and give them detention at walmart, you'd be glad i was doing my job then too, right?

i guess if i were dying i'd want a dr. to be dedicated enough to help me out........that is, unless he were a dr. that checks your prostate......walmart is pretty tolerant but i don't think anal probes would fly

edit: it's the law we think sucks! however, being on vacation is just a little over-board, don't ya think.....i mean, if she were a homicide investigator, or thought the truck was stolen based on a case she was working on, ok.....cool......i just seriously doubt it was that....i'd say she was playing barney fife.....

i can tell you 4 or so houses right now where drugs are being sold....if i go to the police, they make you feel like you shouldn't be narking on someone.....but, boy, if you have historical tags and you're eating at a restaurant, you'd better watch you back, fife, will get ya!

5. Junkyard Jan

Junkyard Jan
    Member Emeritus

The problem here in Ohio is that 99% the cops nor evidently The Old Car Po'Lice understand the law regarding Historic or YOM tags. My buddy got stopped driving his '55 Packard on the freeway late one night by a Cleveland city cop. The dumbazzed cop insisted that Historics were good for parades only and was gping to ticket him. Luckily, Jeff had the Statute printed out, kept in the Pack's glovebox, flashed it in the cop's face, told him that he was driving home from a show and made him look like an idiot. Here is the Statue link and I suggest ya'll do the same:

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/4503.181

BTW, read the first paragraph regarding usage. If you do get pulled over and can't make this info work for you no matter what you're really doing, you're not a real HAMBer.....:D

Jan

6. This is very disturbing...............................worse than an Orwellian nightmare actually.

7. wvenfield

wvenfield

Interesting. And then you mention that you stop off at work on the way to a show. (wink wink)

I specifically asked Hagerty if I could drive it to Wal-Mart to pick up a chair to take to a car show. They said no. I asked what would happen if I had an accident pulling out of Wal-Mart. They said that I wouldn't be covered.

They said the entire idea was to not use your car for everyday type of driving and going to Wal-Mart was. Now perhaps they would never really ask me where I had just been. I just didn't want to take the chance.

8. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Jeff, I spit on the monitor with that one.
    Thanks for the statue printout, Junkyard Jan
    I am going to put one in both cars.
    I was just talking to a fellow here at work that was pulled over for the same thing by a city cop thinking the plates were unlawful.
    I am carrying mine.
    Harrassing a hotrodder parked in a private parking lot is bullshit.
    And if you think your doing your job by doing this on vacation then you are definitely an asshole.
    Looks to me they are trying to make a statement and make it known they are "Watching" us hotrod hoodlums.
    Feels like it 1952 all over again. :)

9. Flathead Youngin'

Flathead Youngin'

maybe i'll give tim detention and we'll see how much he appreciates me doing my job when i'm off in the summers.......but, i've always been VERY dedicated to what i do...

Tim: "But wait a second, you don't teach in my State....."

Me: "Oh, don't you worry your little self about that. Just serve your 3 hours and be done with it. Don't whine about it, you got caught. Just pay your time and forget it....."

Oh, and BTW, I'm the detention teacher too. You make me mad in there, I'll kick you out then recommended suspension to the dean....

10. tjm73

tjm73

There is a difference between someone authorized to act on behalf of the "people" (a state employee inthis case) and a school teacher handing out detention off school grounds. If you tried that as a teacher with my kid I'd tell you to go F yourself. You would have no standign off school grounds. If you're an off duty cop and you catch him doing wrong, no court would punish him/her more harshly than I would.

Also, Your making a pretty big jump from not sympathaizing with your point of view to assuming I am cool with big brother type stuff. Far from it.

Fact: There are particular laws (and they vary state to state) about how historical plates are supposed to be used.

Fact: There is some interpritation to be made in the writting of those laws. ie what constitutes going to or coming from an event.

Apparent: Her job includes investigating abuses of the laws regarding plates.

Fact: People violate those laws all the time. If you get caught...whahhh go cry in your own beer.

Now I'm going to say something that will really piss alot of people off. They will want to argue, but they lose. Becasue if you truely look at it without prejudice, you will see I'm right.

Privacy is 99% myth. The only place you have any real expectation of privacy is inside your own home. Anytime you are outside or out to the store or anyplace in public view you are likely already on CCTV camera. And most definitly being watched by someone's eyes someplace.

Having your vehicle parked on private porperty but within view of anything or anybody means it is still fair game to be scrutinized. Doesn't matter if you like it or not. If it can be seen, it can be scrutinzied. Off duty. On duty. Doesn't matter.

11. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Let me ask you this, your at the Nats in L'ville, you drive your car to the largest car show on the planet, you drive it to dinner each nite your in L'ville, you drive to Wally World to pick up more beverages and snacks to take into the show, your car is parked over night in a motel parking lot...for a few days!:eek: Trust me sweetheart, it's covered. How could it not be? Your at a weekend car event, and an event I might add that Hagerty has a booth at trying to sell you insurance for the exact car you just drove there in.:D

I would call them again and ask to speak to someone who knows. Better yet, call Grundy, their premiums are less expensive for the exact same coverage.;)

12. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

How could you not agree this is total harassment.
    TOTAL!
    If I was breaking a law, I could understand them going through the rest of the steps to check if i was being legal.
    Last i heard....eating shrimp and pasta was legal...
    I agree somewhat with your "privacy" view.
    But you must admit...we have rights about our privacy.

13. tjm73

tjm73

I don't see it as harrasment. Overzelous...yes. Harrasment would be repeated accusations without merit. Running you plate once and asking why you were so far from home on limited use plates (because.....and be honest....it is somewhat unusual) is not harrasment.

Would it be harrasment if you were walking down the side of the road with a shotgun and a cop stopped to ask you what you were doing? It's not illegal, but it's cause to maybe have a second look in passing.

And FYI to everyone reading.....if you'v ehad a cop car behind you there is high chance he/she ran your plate just to see where you were from, if you had an warrants, if you had an insurance lapse, etc. They do it all the time. They may not have stopped you, but they may have still run the number.

And yes we have some rights about our privacy, but anything seen in public is exactly that....public.

14. Vance

Vance
    from N/A

To avoid any issue on this law, just claim that you're on your way to or from picking up a person that you gave a nostolgic tour of the country-side, (just be sure you have someone for the alilbi). It'll be tough for anyone to prove anything different. This idea works especially if you have someone in the car when you do get pulled over. The term tour is listed right there in the law!

Vance

15. wvenfield

wvenfield

I called both of them. I specifically asked what would happen if I was in an accident pulling out of Wal-Mart. They both said I am not covered.

I'm not argueing whether they would end up covering you, just noting what I was told and why I opted for regular insurance.

In my case I could be leaving Wal-Mart at 4 in the morning and if you hit someone at that time of night you likely shouldn't be driving but it might be hard to explain where the car show was on a Wed night at 4 in the morning. :D

16. tad626

tad626

There are no words in the English language dictionary to describe any law enforcement officer of the state of Ohio.
    40 year truck drver.

17. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

While granted a 4 in the morning pull over MIGHT be harder to explain BUT not impossible...after all, you met a hot chick at teh cruise nite and she invited you back to her place. How could you refuse.:D

NOW, one thing I do want to point out is the difference between "regular" (stated value) insurance like you mentioned you have and agreed value (speciality insurance). You will have a tough time getting the full value of the car if you've got a regular/stated value insurance policy on it and something should happen.

For a prime example look at the post where the dude talks about losing his original, low milage car in a garage fire. State Farm is going to screw that dude. If he would have had Grundy, Hagerty or any of the other speciality insurances the car would be completely covered for the amount he stated when the policy was created.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=193416&showall=1

Specificly this statement from him. I feel for him. I lost a car to a fire but since I had Hagerty I knew exactly the amount of money I was getting from them once the fire report was finalized.

"I did have a comprehensive policy on the dodge, but I just spoke to the adjustor today, they place value for comps in the area, not NADA or anything like that. NADA places the value between $7,650.00 -$11,250.00, but as I'm sure you all know, people aren't lining up to buy 4 door 1946 Dodges. Anyone have any suggestions as to where I might direct State Farm Insurance to find some valuable comps of cars for sale, or cars that sold. Ebay only has one or 2 and they aren't very comparable, craigs list is a nightmare. Please help."

18. wvenfield

wvenfield

Yep, which is why I'm always inquiring in most posts concerning insurance. :D

But my car isn't worth a ton to start with.

19. tad626

tad626

Maybe, try Hemming's, for comps.

20. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

I just wrote an article for ISRA (Indiana Street Rod Association) on YOM plates coming soon in Indiana.

A couple snags

1-You must first purchase an antique plate
    2-Antique plate and car must be inspected by a State Policeman
    3-Engine cant be different hp from orginal engine
    4-Then you apply for yom plates offering your orginal plates for checking etc.

Not at all what we had expected ???

21. Mike53

Mike53

Freakin red light cameras and such will be the next way of trackin us "perpetrators".Just when you think you got them beat for once,they start this crap.Pretty soon it'll cost ya to walk!

22. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

Remember that one time I got pulled over (well not really pulled over-- blocked into a parking lot at a gas station) in the bucket because of the YOM plate? Here the dumb girl at the DMV (now there's a surprise...) registered the YOM plate to the temporary tag # rather than the historical plate. Duh!

Oh and Petejoe, I think we may have found our potlicker.;)

23. NoSurf

NoSurf

The Food and Drug Administration's 1997 Food Code recommends cooking most seafood to an internal temperature of 145 F (63 C) for 15 seconds.

24. chromedRAT

chromedRAT

25. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

What little you save with YOM or Historic plates isn't worth the hassle or POTENTIAL hassle. It's all about thinking your getting away with something and you aren't. while your pulled over coming up with a cute story about why, where, when I'll motor on by and give your investigating officer a smile and a quick wave. Should make his day knowing all hot rodders aren't hardened criminals trying to be a menace to society.:eek: :rolleyes: ;) :D

Frank

26. Flathead Youngin'

Flathead Youngin'

Oh, come on, Frank! This bandwagon is great........serving SPAM and HAMB crack.....

I guess I'm gonna have to give you a 3hr, too, for arguing with the teacher. Well, I think the handbook actually calls it "insubordination." Yeah, that's what it's called. You and tim both will enjoy staring at the clock all evening.

.......come on, just one little negative comment about the bad lady.

27. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Frank, see most of us feel the "rules" regarding the YOM plates are silly and not worthy of serious consideration and I do believe the police in this area feel the same way OR I/we would hear about more folks getting hassled about the issue.

Still love me even if I am a "menace to society"??:D

28. buckeye_01

buckeye_01

This is a very interesting topic. I do try to limit my driving, but its tough. I think it is those Marietta cops man. I have been down there several times in the last few months on business, and I've been pulled over 3 times (in my daily) because of my cracked windshield, but have never gotten a ticket. I really think they are trying to generate a little revenue for such a depressed area.

29. Remind me to stay clear of Ohio when I get the Safari back on the road.

I've run a YOM plate on it for 13 years now(about 165,000 miles)and can honestly say I have only been stopped once.That happened in Iowa when we were doing the Camp Courageous charity panel jam.Stopped by a state cop about 8pm on our way back to the motel.I fully expected to get a ticket(I was doing about 75mph in a 55 zone).Instead he's asking me about the plates.I told him the law as I understood it(at that time there were no stipulations about running YOM plates)and after he checked their validity he told me to get my speedometer checked when I got back home.Nice guy. Apparently you can't run YOM plates in Iowa.

My insurance agent was more concerned with me having advertising on my car rather than the type of plates I have.Wanted me to either take off my business name or upgrade the insurance.

30. novatattoo

novatattoo
    from Canton,OH

HOLY CRAP! I don't drive mine daily but I do drive it ALOT.

Later, Bill