Register now to get rid of these ads!

Cinematic Journey and a Motor Vehicle Investigator

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Petejoe, Jul 10, 2007.

1. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

During our trip to the Cinematic on Friday night, we decided to stop about an hour and a half outside of Gallipolis. We were driving two cars and stopped in the Ohio river town of Marietta to eat at a good restaurant and then stay the night.
    The cars were parked within eyeshot of the front of the restaurant.
    During our meal, I saw a lady walking around the vehicles attaching something to the windows. ????
    After we finished I found two ID cards from a Ohio Motor Vehicle Detective.
    I thought what the heck????????? No message ...nothing.......
    I called the tele number which of course was her office phone and no answer on the weekend. A week and a half has past and I forgot about it..
    I get a call from her today asking questions on why I was there and where I was going???????
    I think what they hell is this????
    She reminds me that model year plates and historic plates are only for shows and not for cruising. And also notified me there may be other detectives checking up on this and verifying destinations.
    I thanked her (Biting my tongue and the rest of the inside of my mouth) and hung up. Just a notification for Ohio Model Year plate holders.
    I think they all need to find a REAL job.

2. junk runner jr

junk runner jr

I knew that was the law but had no idea they acctualy cared or spent the resources to enforce it.

3. Vance

Vance
    from N/A

That's our tax dollars at work. Hey, what kind of trouble would a drug dealer get into if he got busted dealing out of a car with model year tags? If he were really on his way to a car show and stopped off to make a quick sale, would that then be legal?

Wow. It seems I might have as much spare time as your little investigator friend.

Vance

4. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

So that's what that was about. I would of told her you were having a show, both of you. I also would have asked her what she would like you to do.... register two sets of plates? One to run on the road and the YOM to put on at the show? How gay, who the heck worries about that after 5 on a Friday night?

5. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Someone without a life.:rolleyes:

There would be no way in hell for anyone to "prove" that you were or were not on your way to/from a show/cruise/car event.

6. JoeG

JoeG

I think I saw that on Reno 911 :)

7. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

I agree.
    Everyplace I go there is either a (one or two) or more car show.
    I cant help it "people look at my cars" :)
    What a joke. It would be different if I was using these as a daily driver. Far from me to get away from paying my yearly License fee.
    give me a break.

You wont believe this but she explained... she was on vacation!!
    Not only was it her weekend...she must have spent the last week and a half of vacation searching all you law-breaking hoodlums with model year plates. ( I bet she called the state and run both of my plates that evening to see if they were legal)

8. wvenfield

wvenfield

It's one of the reasons I run regular plates.

I would blame it on the city if you hadn't mentioned that she was on vacation. They used to have a guy on an Cushman riding around measuring that people hadn't parked beyonds specs from the curb.

After enough people complained for being an inch or two too far from the curb and getting a ticket they did away with the position. :D

9. leadsled01

leadsled01

WTF..... Its not like you are driving to Florida for the family vacation.

10. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

And what business of hers is it if you were? I'm glad no one tipped her off to the goldmine-- the Cinematic! ;)

It's always something, always....

11. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

There are car shows in Florida:D

My folks drivea classic car with YOM plates to Florida every winter from Michigan and spend 4 months down there just cruzn around. Have never gotten stopped or questioned in any state regarding the plate and for that matter neither have I.

And what's the penalty if "caught"? A fine? Jail?:rolleyes:
    ANYONE EVER heard of ANYONE they know actually getting a ticket? Not, I heard about ths guy once ....BUT actually know someone that did?

12. Buckle

Buckle

Hey, I'm not sure if I'm reading this right. Were you doing anything wrong in the eyes of the law traveling to a car show with those plates? I'm asking because I drive my car sometimes to work, then on to a car show afterward, I've never been hassled but now I'm wondering what I can and can't do with the YOM plates.

Buckle

13. She was on vacation?! That sure busts the usual concept of the lazy civil servant. She should quit DMV and go to work for Homeland Security.

14. Redneck Smooth

Redneck Smooth
    from Cincinnati

The way things are going, it wont be long until the BMV is part of DHS. I run regular tags on the Olds, but it's too ugly for anything else...

15. wvenfield

wvenfield

I was told that you couldn't. No driving to work, period.

16. FalconEddie1964

FalconEddie1964

My neighbor got busted for driving with Historic tags in good old OHIO. He was going to work in his coupe. It cost him $50 and he had to buy regular plates. I don't know what the fine is now, that was 20 years ago. I imagine it's pretty steep now.

QED

17. whitewallslick

whitewallslick
    1. oHIo

I have heard that they are cracking down locally on the use of historical plates, maybe it's all of Ohio. The fine is $100 btw.

The state could resolve the problem by using a cutoff year of 1970 or so, rather than the '25 year old' limit. That would eliminate most of the abuse. I've seen plenty piece-of-crap 1980-ish trucks with historical tags that are obviously daily drivers.

18. In Michigan it's to and from club functions or shows, and Sundays. That's it. I have a great '50 plate I'd love to run, but I pony up the extra $ (and suffer the eyesore of a michigan plate) so that I don't get pulled over after a couple of pops when I want to take my car out. My buddy Roger had a t-bucket that he ran year of manufacture plates on, and he got popped for it. Hell, I'd py the same amount of money just to be able to run the '50 plate. There's money to be made here, Gov. Granholm!

19. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Ah yes, but the State Police don't want you to, because non-reflective plates are bad. At least that's what they told me when they made me replace my good old blue plate. Those new plain ones are an eyesore.

-Dave

20. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Yes, I was eating at a restaurant with the cars parked at a PRIVATE parking lot!
    100.00 fine huh!
    After two years without paying the regular fee. I'd call that even.
    Even when I have driven mine to work. I am always on a trip to get it maintained. Does that count? :)
    I hate big brother. Like I say.....if I drove it all year as an everyday they would have a right to harrass us.
    They still get their money from me with my everyday driver license plates.
    If those plates weren't legal at the time she was there. I am sure I would have them impounded.

Two things that really erk me. Drivers license plates and Insurance.
    You have to pay for each vehicle regarding how many you own.
    But the issue I have is ..... I can only drive one car at a time!
    If the cars are on private property when setting idle. Why would the law be interested in having plates on Every car?? $$$$$$$$$
    I should be able to move them from car to car. Same goes with insurance...

21. chromedaddyo

chromedaddyo
    from Ohio

Always have an excuse,

I have 4 with Hist tags, all nice stuff.

I drive mine alot and to work in Cleveland on Sundays. Keep the club jacket with me and would say I have a meeting after work (usually do too).

The problem is the rusted out POS early 80's cutlass' I see with Hist tags on it, and all the rusted out 70's trucks.

On a rod or muscle car I have not heard of folks having problems.

I agree, Sounds like "The Investigator" needs a life!

Dave

22. RatBone

RatBone

Non reflective! Ive often wondered why our hot rods have plates at all. Do you think if you robbed a bank in your A or killed someone the witness would try to remember the plate #? He would say "it was a bright yellow hot rod with no hood or fenders and little tiny windows"

I mean how many can be running around town at a time. I hate that anyone can try to tell me what I can and cant do, what a crock. I show my car to my coworkers every day. Its a car show in the parking lot.

23. jusjunk

jusjunk
    BANNED
    from Michigan

Revenue... Thats why.. I have never run antique or year of make plates here in mighigan but i think the way our law reads we just have to be going for repair or to an auto related function or a parade. So if i was going to the cinematic and got stopped and i told em i was heading there and its car related no problem and I dont think they would be chicken shit by wanting to ticket me for stopping for food either.
    Dave

24. floored

floored

The other thing to watch is your insurance. My agent told me I could drop my rates by 2/3 if I had historic plates, I asked him what would happen if I were in an accident not going to a show. Answer SOL!

Ron

25. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

NOT true with Hagerty. My '47 Chevy got heavily damaged while at the Grand Canyon. Hagerty never once asked me what I was doing there.

My insurance rate is $110.00 less per year because of the YOM plate PLUS there is no annual registration fee with the DMV.

26. 416Ford

416Ford

Not true, just got mine last month and if you are taking your car in to get repaired it is also legal. So if I drive mine to work and get stopped I will tell them I am taking it to get serviced. If I get stopped on the way home, then I am bringing it back from the service shop.

27. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Exactly. I stop quite often at my place of employment while I'm on my way to a cruise nite. :D About once a week.

28. Flathead Youngin'

Flathead Youngin'

What a crock.......really, and I mean really, big brother has way too much $$, time and resources for silly crap.

I want to know, how do you get a job like that? I can only imagine the interview questions........

Yeah, what burns me up is, for example, my buddy runs around in a clapped out, 1980 Ford dump truck.......he doesn't use it that often but still.....NEVER a show, etc......from the laws perspective, we are all the same and this couldn't be farther from the truth....

So what now.....is it over........was she satisfied?

I'm glad that costs all of us around $50k a year.....probably more, I'm sure there is specialized training:rolleyes:

29. Silhouettes 57

Silhouettes 57

Here in West Virginia if you have Antique or Historic plates you can only drive it on Friday, Saturday, or Sunday (Governor just gave us Friday YEEEPEEE!). I often wondered if I was going to a show/run in Lima,Ohio and wanted to head out on Thursday if I'd be subject to a ticket until I got past the state line?

30. Flathead Youngin'

Flathead Youngin'

yeah, i went to fill it up, ask the upholstery shop about fixing it, going to the car wash, doing a maintenance run, etc.....

what really suck, though, is that once they have you pulled over.....tail lights, turn signals, windshield wipers, horn, etc......at least that's the way it is in ohio......the state highway patrol is like a bunch of hungry rottweilers with quotas (they really do have quotas- at least one i knew told me that one day).....