Register now to get rid of these ads!

Cool Rear View Mirrors

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Abomination, Jul 9, 2007.

1. Abomination

Abomination

Nobody really thinks about 'em. They just sit there and... reflect. But some are lame, and others are really, really cool looking. Square, beveled, oval, chrome, painted, dash-mount, overhead mount, etc - yep, some just plain rock.

Let's see some pictures of some cool rear view mirrors!

~Jason

2. sawzall

sawzall

from this post.. it will be obvious that I have a problem...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

these are on my 40 ford..
    the driver side is an "OG" tel tru thermometer mirror.. I have seen these in a number of configurations.. most are this style.. many have different "mirror heads"
    I have another one that I believe is Specifically for 40 ford cowl use age..

heres a closeup of my modified passenger side mirror.. I took a 10.00 wrist watch and machined it down to fit in the socket.

[​IMG]

heres the mirror thermometer that I have for my woodie wagon..

I paid TO MUCH FOR THIS.. BUT i HAD TO HAVE IT
    [​IMG]

Al's.C.D.T and mgtstumpy like this.
  3. I like this one!

Attached Files:

koolkemp likes this.
  4. BinderRod

BinderRod

Does anyone have a dash mount rear view just laying around they would part with or could point me in the right direction to get one? Thanks Keith

5. ratman

ratman

Very cool mirror with the $10 watch I really like it

6. Here's a couple pics of the cut-down Harley mirrors on my 32.

A touch larger than a lot of guys like, but they work well.

Better to have something useful than to just make the Gendarmes happy....:D

Attached Files:

7. Abomination

Abomination

Hey, Keith.

I may have one. And I'm local, up by NKC Hospital. It's got a beveled edge, but needs to be taken to a glass shop to be re-silvered.

Interested?

Also, I noticed the name... what kind of rod are you building?

~Jason

8. Abomination

Abomination

Those are awesome!

I think I saw something similar for sale here:
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=194094

:)

~Jason

9. 345WindowOregon

345WindowOregon

I had one of those mini mirrors laying around, but when I mounted it, it was plain to see it did not extend out far enough to allow me to truly see what's behind me.

I made a longer bracket out of solid stainless for it, polished it up and it helped a lot. Sticks out about 6", not bad. How I love the versatility of my TIG welder.

Some vibration at cruisin' speed, but at least it gives me a heads up on someone sneaking up on my left in the blind spot....

Attached Files:

10. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Finding good looking classic mirrors is a hard thing to do. For my '54 Chevy coupe I use a stock interior rear view, and two suction type rectangular mirrors for side vision that I got at LA Roadsters Show. Use same type of set up in wife's 50 Chevy 5 window pickup -they work good. Hate to drill holes in body until I find the "perfect" set up. Most outside mirrors mounted on passenger side do not give any full view, just decorative. Use clamp on as a very last resort.

11. Abomination

Abomination

I think Santa needs to bring me a TIG welder this year...

~Jason

12. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

On the hot rod trucks thread someone had a ''passing mirror''. Had to look it up to see how they actually worked. Interesting to me so I searched up mirror threads to share it with anyone else who had no clue!

Al's.C.D.T, mgtstumpy and dan31 like this.
  13. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

My NOS passing eye
    passing eye mirror.jpg Passing eye mirror5.jpg
    And Guide Day-Nite
    Guide mirror.jpg

chevy57dude and 302GMC like this.
  14. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Nice amber Day-Nite ! They're getting hard to find. Last one I found was in a Kaiser. They were usually found in pre -'49 Cadillacs. Over the years, I've heard of blue and rose Guide Glare-Proof as above but have yet to see one.

15. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

Neat topic for a thread on a often misguided attempt for cool but non functional to actually see something item. Hopefully no one post maltese cross pics lv'e never seen them look good.

chevy57dude likes this.
  16. I recently snagged a BLC Anti Glare rear view from "that Auction Site" The lens is out for resilvering. Would be nice to have the lens silvered in that Amber or Blue, but it wasn't like that to begin with anyway. I'll snap a pic when I get the glass back and it's reassembled.

17. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Never heard of those colours and likewise have never seen one either. Something now to look out for ;)

18. jnaki

jnaki

Hello Photobuffs,
    The rear outside mirrors are varied and different on a lot of cars. Try shooting your friend's car coming up on you or in the next lane with your real camera. It is too hard to use the shaky phone cameras to get a good shot. At least the small SLR, DSLR, small format digital cameras can rest on the window sill.

The best one I got was with a 35mm SLR Pentax resting on the sill using a 50mm 1.4 lens at infinity. The roadster pickup/sedan delivery was turning onto a road and I was in the driver's seat of the car in front. The action shots were in clear focus and wowed the editors of the magazine. I was presenting the set of photos and stories for publication.

Good old Tex Smith had a keen eye for something different to show in the articles, so he said that technique had never been used in any magazine article. Then he went on to give me another lecture on how the photo experience can be better...yadda yadda...(He always did that) Did he use that outside rear view mirror shot in a photo story? CRS prevents me from verification as it is unclear which magazines have used those techniques since my hard copies are gone, too.)
    Jnaki
    Unfortunately, all of those b/w negatives bit the dust many moons ago and I do not have too many color photos left of that era. So, if you see any of my photo/stories in any of the car mags or chopper mags, check them out to see if they used my outside, rear view mirror photos. Send me a pm.
    Thanks...

19. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

1930s accessory mirror

Attached Files: