Register now to get rid of these ads!

mig welding while on medical oxygen ...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 49ratfink, Jul 5, 2007.

1. belair

belair

If he's got bad lungs now, what will it be like to snort a puff of fire? DUM DUM DUM

2. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

Kicking people when they're down ain't cool. :mad: Grow up dude.

There's a thousand reasons people end up on oxygen. Most were considered "safe" in their day.

3. Moonglow2

Moonglow2

A fire needs three things to sustain itself. Heat, fuel and oxygen. A spark(heat) on his clothing (carbon fuel source), pure oxygen in close proximity and you have a human barbeque. Is this guy related to Forrest Gump?

4. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

During my training as an EMT I spent some time in the emergency in training as the patients arrived.
    A lady arrived with 3rd degree burns on her face, nose, mouth and throat. Here I find out she was smoking and using oxygen at the same time. I never found out if she lived or not.
    That guy is in big trouble. Read these posts to him.

5. HeyMang

HeyMang

"The Brudwich" pretty much summed it all up.

Yeah, its dangerous. Im a cryogenic mechanic and work on, among other things, LOX trailers. Every year we get training on oxygen compatibility and a demonstration yielding in a lot of BOOMS.

They set up a 40lb weight on a string and drop it from 24" onto an "oily object" covered with just a little liquid oxygen. Objects include: axle grease, motor oil, potato chips, cigarette butts, and OLD bleached asphalt. They all go BOOM, and believe me the boom is exponentially bigger than the lifting charge on a 4th of July Mortar. The explosion is big enough to send the 40lb weight back up in the air almost as high as when it started (24"). Oil and Oxygen DO NOT MIX.

Be safe, people.

6. It's not the oxygen that burns... and the nose piece isn't the issue, either. If the oxygen permeates his clothes they will burn hot and fast.
    Patients on oxygen can be sitting in a chair or on the couch, shut the bottle off and have the furniture flare up long after the oxy supply is shut off.

If you want to demonstrate this to him...
    Take a metal coffee can and put some steel wool in it.
    Flood the steel wool with oxygen and light it.

He'll stop....

JOE:cool:

7. ValuJet flight 592, crashed in the everglades, 110 people dead...

"NTSB says, "There could have been an explosion," flight was carrying several dozen oxygen generators; preliminary flight data recorder data shows flight plummeted 7,500 feet in 40 seconds; searchers find no body parts larger than a knee."

my advice... MOVE!

8. Sealed Power

Sealed Power
    from TN

I did a quick search, here are a few stories. Maybe you could print a couple off and show them to him, just so he will know it's not 100% safe. I'm sure there's plenty more on the internet.

These all involve smoking but if a cigarette can ignite it so can a welding spark.

The Brudwich is right the risk is a lot less if he is on an on demand system. They work off negative pressure and only release oxygen when he inhales. Still not a 100% safe and still not a good idea to be welding with it.

http://forums.firehouse.com/showthread.php?t=41651

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2005/...ml#skip300x250

http://www.katv.com/news/stories/0106/293514.html

http://www.firehouse.com/news/2001/2/16_mi.html

http://www.firehouse.com/news/2000/12/15_oxygen.html

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?i...C-RSSFeeds0312

9. 26TCoupe

26TCoupe

I don't know much about working with oxygen other than the guys who work with it on our fighter jets have to use a dedicated set of wrenches for oxygen fittings only. A wrench with a little oil or grease on it can cause a reaction and make the oxygen ignite. It can burn pretty damn good.

10. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If he is using nasal cannulae it is NOT a demand valve system. They must be a sealed system.

11. better get as far away as possible! last month my cousins house caught fire because the neighbor that needed O2 fell asleep smoking and the THREE BOTTLES of O2 that were delivered that day exploded in the middle of the night from the fire caused by the cigarette that caught the house on fire. nothing left of the poor guys place and physically blew my cousin and his wife out of their bed.

12. I work at a hospital. Just last month a patient on oxygen was smoking outside. Guess what. Flash fire and he got burnt.Sure, maybe the source of heat is further away with welding as opposed to smoking, but that source of heat is also hotter than a tobacco ember.In my opinion, not a good idea.

13. orphaneddie

orphaneddie

alll I can say is... BOMB waiting to go off..... get the hell away from that place! ha ha

14. 34underglas

34underglas

As a Respiratory Therapist for a DME company, I can tell you that, yes, you must use a nasal cannula with a demand system. Chad Therapeutics and Airsep both make a demand regulator that "puffs" the oxygen to the patient via nasal cannula, at peak inspiration. the cannula senses the negative pressure generated by the patient when they begin to inhale, thus triggering the demand unit to deliver a bolus of oxygen. most home oxygen patiens must use a nasal cannula due to the low flows and pressures produced by home oxygen equipment. most home oxygen patients use oxygen at a rate of 2-3 liters per minute. not near enough flow to "flush" out exhaled carbon dioxide from a mask.

15. ems customer service

ems customer service

Remember The Apollo Astronaunts That Got Burned Alive When Something Started A Fire In The Space Ship, This Guy Is Stupid And I Would Call The Fire Dept Cause He Going To Cause A Very Bad Accident And He Could Burn Alot Lot More Then Himself

16. I think a nice arrangement of flowers and a mushy card should be enough..

17. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Uhh....if he's on Oxygen, the welding fumes probably won't be helping him out too much. Hopes he's in a well ventilated area.

18. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I guess were still behind here in Australia then, we still only have the masks that cover the nose with demand valve home oxygen, otherwise its just the continual flow 2-3L via nasal prongs.
    Thats what you get living in a first world third world country, we are thiss 10 years behind the world.