Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Barris built High School Confidential Chevys

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Rikster, Jul 5, 2007.

1. Rikster

Rikster

Barris Kustoms built two identical 1947 Chevy customs for the 1958 Movie High School Confidential

[​IMG]

Seen here in front of the Barris shop. The two identical customs.
    Barris only had a short time to create these two movie cars, but that did not prefent the Barris team to perform a great looking chop with the rear side windows filled in. The work was a bit rough, which was just fine since that would not apear in the movie.
    The car on the left was already painted and the one on the right had its body work just finished and was ready for paint.

[​IMG]

I always liked the lines of this customized Chevy... think some nice white walls and Sombrero's....

[​IMG]

The grille was interesting... but it was clearly done on a very tight deadline.... the stock grille was removed and opening was not rounded or reshaped just left as it was....

[​IMG][/IMG]

Two cars where needed since one of them was going to be destroyed in a car crach in one of the movies racing scenes. The car was suposed to flip over, but since it was a custom and so low to the ground it was impossible to flip. Eventually they used a crane to drop the car from.... that car was eventually scapped.... but... the other one surfived...

Anthony White (00MACK) just send me a few photos of this surfiving Barris Custom High School Confidential Movie Custom as it looks today....
    Thanks for sharing these Anthony...

[​IMG]

A lot of thinking and hard work must have gone into creating this pleasing flow of the heavy choped top...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

GuyW likes this.
  2. 00 MACK

00 MACK

I took the pics at a show in Fair Lawn N.J..I had no idea the car was going to be there and this is the only time I know of it being out ever!I was striping a BOSS HOG wjen I spotted it.I thought I was having heat stroke.

Outback likes this.
  3. You know the concept of Eminent Domain? Where a city or state can seize a significant building to preserve it? In the interest of saving history from developers who would ruin it? The red paint and awful striping is a great argument for that concept to be applied to significant cars.

People are stupid.

Hollywood-East likes this.
  4. 00 MACK

00 MACK

The funny thing is that the striping was probably done by Ed Roth when the car was at Bruckers "Cars of the Stars " Museum.

5. Rikster

Rikster

Glenn "The Cat" Patrick from Ohio, always loved the lines of the Barris built Chevies.... only never cared for how they where finished. So he decided to built his own version... the way he always thought Barris should have built it...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here is another one that was inspired....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Okie Pete, Outback, Just Gary and 3 others like this.
  6. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

a guy I know from ebay used to own that car before it had pinstripes on the windows. he had a picture of it in his ebay store logo.

I think he's a HAMBer too.

Outback likes this.
  7. I liked Roth better when he was an asshole at his shop in Maywood. The kinder, gentler Roth has had some lapses in taste. Just one reporters opinion.

Outback likes this.
  8. merc-o-madness

merc-o-madness

i remember seeing that car along time ago, i wonder if it was the same show? At the time i thought it was a clone or something. was it at a high school or something like that?

9. 00 MACK

00 MACK

Glenn "The Cat " patrick is like family to mr and hes sellin that car! The real one from the movie has been in Jersey since long before EBAY existed.

10. Its cool to see the old stuff thats still around. The pinstriping on the windshield is a bit out there,to me anyway. I am curiouse about what happened the paint on the nose under the hood. But its still rollin' and thats whats alot more important! Right?

11. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

thank goodness this one exists, as whats happened to the original .... well..... 3 letters come to mind.....P.O.S.

Rick, keep them Customs coming.

12. ray

ray
    from colorado

this car is a local colorado springs car owned by a guy named shane. i see it driving around a lot during the summer months. it's currently a more red/pink shade of primer.

13. mazdaslam

mazdaslam

The Glenn Patrick coupe is for sale in one of the latest Auto Roundup magazines.I just saw it in there the other day!Good looking car.

14. publicenemy1925

publicenemy1925
    from OKC, OK

Them Barris boys could build the shit back in the day.

15. I love old kustoms, they are each a piece of art. Rags

16. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Another sighting, the place that many my have seen the cars, is a couple of small pics in an R&C article on cars in the movies, probably around 1962...
    some other interesting stuff was in the same article.

17. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hell yeah, WTF is with the striping on the windscreen? UGH! Someone needs to put that back into the 'Sam Barris' built colours.

18. flat_mountain

flat_mountain

I've always felt that filling the quarter windows on a Chevy made the top look a little out of proportion, but it really works on this car. Very sweet! Thanks Rikster!

19. 2manybillz

2manybillz

Something in the back of my mind keeps saying I saw an article on these 2 way back and 1 of them was used in Rebel Without a Cause and the clone was built to roll. Anybody got better recall than me?

20. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

I hoped this would come up- this one was at Paso. Got me excited as the first early customs I was ever exposed to were these pair of Chevy's in the '70s "Cars of the Stars" book- after that my hunger for more kustom history has never ceased. I thought this one looked a lot like the red survivor car.

Attached Files:

EVL401 likes this.
  21. KIRK!

KIRK!

Word.

22. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

Great looking cars for sure. The Barris boys not only knew how to chop, but how not to chop. Great proportion and restraint and the lines flow so well.

This one needs help though. I don't dig the 2 tier grill treatment at all. The current color scheme makes me want to eat Mexican food. I don't care if Jesus himself striped the car, it looks wack. Amazing how color and wheels can turn a legendary custom into a car we'd talk about under our breath at a show.

23. mazdaslam

mazdaslam

24. VNTGE41

VNTGE41
    from l.a.

ive always loved the way they look with the side windows blanked out.But i think ill keep mine

25. JAWS

JAWS

That settles it. I have been looking for ideas for chopping my 46 coupe. I wondered what a three window version would look like without the carson top. I dig the originals from barris in 58. Gonna do it that way and someday maybe finish it enough for paint.

26. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Anybody else spot Norm Grabowski in the first YouTube sequence? Normie Poo has been at it for a looooooooog time.

Frank

27. JamesG

JamesG

[​IMG]

28. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

They killed the car, why god WHY!

29. 00 MACK

00 MACK

Its not ruined.For a period correct resto all you need is 50 dollars worth of trim and emblems ,J.C.Whitney smoothie caps and a pair of headlight rings topped off with a trip to Maaco.

30. Jerry Lee Lewis is the Devil himself, I tell ya'!