Register now to get rid of these ads!

My Hot Rod Cinematic Adventure

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrodladycrusr, Jul 5, 2007.

1. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Friday morning started off absolutely perfect weather wise. It was about 70 degrees with plenty of blue skies and sunshine. Our plan was too hook up with two other topless HAMB guys at the intersection where the highways we were each traveling on intersected. OldBobSign and I waited less then 5 minutes at the top of the entrance ramp for FMS427 in his Shoebox ragtop and Lurker Doug in his ’37, to blow by. We fell in line behind them and ran the highway for about 1 hour
    [​IMG]

till we crossed in Ohio then ran two laners from then on out.
    [​IMG]

Cookies were passed out at the gas stops
    Stan, AKA FMS427 and his lovely wife Ann
    [​IMG]

Doug, he’s a lurker on the HAMB. Hopefully after his great time at the Cinematic he’ll register and become a productive member.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

About lunchtime we found ourselves in Mansfield so I called my good pal Hammer Hank and asked him to suggest a place for lunch and meet us there. They had pretty good burgers and it was really nice to sit and chat with everyone. It was the first time actually meeting Stan and Doug in person.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Stan deciding which way to take next
    [​IMG]

Nothing was set in stone as far as a route for us went. Stan had traveled the area many years for work and knew the coolest, most scenic routes for us to take.
    Hammer Hank lead the way out of town on his bike then bid us farewell. He’s building a RPU and didn’t have the time to take off to join us at the Cinematic for the weekend. Next year I’m sure will be a different story.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wasn’t long before we were on the most awesome twisty, turny roads. You know the kind….the ones that put your stomach in your throat when you come over the crest. I had no clue Ohio had roads like that. I’m use to the flat, straight cornfield roads like in the upper half.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My only fear in running those roads were the Amish people and their buggys and sure enough we came up on one. Thankfully it was on flatter ground and we had warning.
    [​IMG]

Rolled into “Gallup-police” (in case anyone was wondering how most locals pronounce it) around 7pm. A few hours longer then it would have normally taken running the freeways but WELL WORTH the extra time and effort. I’d like to extend a very special thanks to Stan for leading the way and choosing some of the most scenic two lanes I’ve been on in a long time. It was certainly a treat meeting you, your wife and Doug and having the opportunity to run south together. I’m looking forward to hanging out with you guys again in the near future.

2. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

When we arrived the Holiday Inn parking lot was already full of HAMB folks milling around and chomping at the bit to head to dinner. Lots of hugging and kissing hello, checked in, threw our stuff in the rooms then headed to a delicious BBQ place that ChevyGirlRox had heard about.

CGR and Matt AKA WhiskyRunner
    [​IMG]

Slick50 and DeVilleGal’s Caddy with Earl Schieb behind the wheel and Lisa(aka Mrs Earl Schieb) in there somewhere too.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

From a post on the HAMB before we all left, most knew about dinner on Friday nite at this BBQ place. Lots of table of HAMB folks already there when we arrived. The owner made a personal appearance at our table. I made sure he knew who we were and what was going on in town. He thanked us repeatedly for coming and invited us back the next nite and asked us to bring more friends. Even stated he’d make us a special bread pudding dessert. I must add the ribs were delicious. I’m a HUGE rib fan and try to visit a different rib place everywhere I travel. The corn on the cob was also very good. They grilled it, which is exactly how I like it. There was lots of room for large parties to sit together. A perfect spot for HAMB folks to gather and eat. I will certainly be back next year.

The Dayton and KY crews
    [​IMG]

And more arrived after us as well. The Indy and Ft Wayne crews
    [​IMG]

VonDust on the right, and his crew, also from Indy
    [​IMG]

Once outside we got the chance to check out VonDust’s Caddy. LOVE the roof treatment. GREAT job bud!
    [​IMG]

A Slick50 and DeVilleGals too. Their new Fat Lucky interior was just breathtaking. I’m so happy for you guys.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Someone had mentioned the Shake Shoppe earlier in the week so we all decided to head over there in mass for dessert. I was kinda bummed that they wouldn’t make me a malt using real chocolate ice cream. He wanted to use that soft stuff from the machine…..well that’s just not the same in my opinion. We had a GREAT time though just hanging out and shootin the shit.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

HAMB gals, back row, left to right
    Angie (Mrs Wingman); Megan AKA ChevyGalRox; Lisa (Mrs Earl Schieb); Denise AKA HotRodLadyCrusr; Deb AKA KustomLincolnLady;
    Front row, Vicki AKA DeVilleGal and Hanna (AndysDeuce’s darling daughter)
    [​IMG]

Megan was hoping for a part time gig there since she looked so hot in the hat.
    [​IMG]

We headed back to the Holiday Inn
    [​IMG]

And one of the first things I looked for was DOC.’s 33 which I had been dying to see in person now for months. I was not disappointed. HUGE crowd around it for most of the nite.
    [​IMG]

The SECOND interior looks KILLER and feels wonderful. I was lucky enough to get a ride. Thanks sweetie!
    [​IMG]

Check out the custom, owner designed, speedo
    [​IMG]

Shift knob by Normie-Poo
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Started mingling around….the HAMB folks that attended the Cinematic are just the best fun.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

L2R
    WhiteWallSlicks, BlktopBandit, Mrs WhiteWallSlicks and WhiskeyRunner
    [​IMG]

EyeCandy and KustomLincolnLady
    [​IMG]

Roby AKA RBRoadster and his lovely girlfriend AJ……I just LOVE that girl
    [​IMG]

WhiskeyRunner filling OldBobSign up once AGAIN. THANKS so much to Matt for bringing the endless supply of jungle juice and making sure no one was left out of the festivities.
    [​IMG]

4. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

SinglePaul, NOdudes leaving a voice mail message for DumbWhore (inside joke)
    [​IMG]

BlkTopBandit and WhiteWallSlicks making sure Squiggy was protected for the nite.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

How much help does Buckle actually need docking that barge??
    [​IMG]

Squiggy trying to help Brian with his so called burnout
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

All in all a most perfect nite just hanging with friends
    [​IMG]

The next morning folks were meeting in the parking lot for a 12 mile cruz to the original Bob Evan’s farm for breakfast. Slick50 lead the way and promptly left at 8am….to a couple of folks surprise. While enroute I got a phone call and the left behind parties caught up after a couple of miles with phone directions.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You guys know how I love my Hokey Ass Group Shots
    [​IMG]

After breakfast just hanging out. A very special thanks to DOC for treating everyone to breakfast. It was VERY generous of you and much appreciated.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Big Chief and BlkTopBandit
    [​IMG]

The Caddy leads the way back as well
    [​IMG]

I LOVE bringing up the rear when there is a group of cars running together. It so cool to watch them all cruzn down the road
    [​IMG]

5. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Once back at the Holiday Inn we gathered our stuff and headed the mile to the Drive In
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

LOTS already there and hanging out
    [​IMG]

Once Big Olds was parked we proceeded to find the Jalopy Journal booth and pick up some very cool event swag.
    [​IMG]

The swap spaces were also set up in this area.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Walked back to Big Olds to put our treasures away and low and behold Rocket Truck walks up and introduces himself. It was great to finally meet you bud and have the opportunity to chat Oldsmobiles. [​IMG]

It’s now almost noon so we head over to the meet and greet spot
    [​IMG]

Folks start showing up. OldBobSign has once again made the banner, custom event name tags and little commemorative stickers for everyone….and of course there are cookies.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It was a very nice turnout for the meet and greet even though most of the folks at the Cinematic were HAMBers, it’s still nice to all gather and take a few minutes to introduce yourself to someone who you might not know…….plus I wanted ANOTHER group shot
    [​IMG]

While at the Meet & Greet GMC Bubba was kind enough to invite folks back to his teardrop for SPAM sandwiches and moonpies…..yum, yum. I hope this is going to be a tradition at the Cinematic. THANKS so much for the spamwich. I swear it’s been at least 20 years since I’ve had one.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

The Indy crew also had a pretty large tent and was willing to share their shade. Thanks so much guys. I really enjoyed your company
    [​IMG]

Spent some time checking out the rides and chatting with folks. I made it a point to try to stop at every car/tent and say “hi”. I love meeting new people and I wanted to make sure I didn’t miss seeing anyone. PLUS I had some HunnertCarPileup postcards to pass out.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

DOC…….What can I say sweetie. It would be a lie if I didn’t tell you that finally meeting you in person was the highlight of my trip. You are as kind, personable and generous in person as you are on the HAMB. It was truly and honor and a privilege to shake your hand….hug you I guess I should say, and to hang out with you for the weekend. I look forward to doing the same at the HAMB Drags next month.
    [​IMG]

About this time Lindross was going to head out for a beer run and asked me if I wanted to ride along. He’s been promising me a ride for a while now and I’m so glad I finally got the chance. Your modified is very cool bud. Thanks so much. Next time will be my turn to take you for a spin in Big Olds
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The weather was so warm that holding the beer between my knees wasn’t an issue
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Once back at the Indy compound the guys had warmed up the HAMB crack that Big Chief brought all the way from Rochester NY. This dip is so yummy that someone named it HAMB crack at my Autorama party and the name stuck. Did not take long at all for the whole pan to disappear. There were also cookies, watermelon, peppers, pickles, chips, lots of stuff that folks brought to share with others.
    [​IMG]

Even Marcie tried it. You can’t actually tell but she had just stuffed HAMB crack in her mouth and yes, that’s a moonpie in the other hand
    [​IMG]

Not sure if Buster got any or not. He sure looked like he wanted some though
    [​IMG]

OldBobSign spent quite a bit of time striping treasures for folks
    [​IMG]
    He did this hubcap for Earl Schieb and this is probably my most favorite photo of the whole weekend. It was AWESOME to see you again sweetie. I really treasure the time we get to spend together. See ya at the HAMB Drags
    [​IMG]

Larry did an AWESOME job on Ken and Vicki’s Caddy matching cooler.
    [​IMG]

He did Roby’s purse:eek:
    [​IMG]

7. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

And the “Best of Show” award which went to DonMoyer and his little roadster, Lazy8
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I’d like to thank VonDust for laying some killer lines on my vintage cooler. The color and design is just perfect. Thanks so much bud, I LOVE it!
    [​IMG]

About this time a group of us walked over to the concession stand to check it out. Lots of vintage stuff around
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stuck our noses in the projection room too. It was kinda cool to see how things worked.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

We decided it was time to head out and grab a bite to eat before the movie portion started. The Indiana folks were going to go back to the rib place which sounded good but we thought we’d try a restaurant over the river in WV. There were quite a few HAMB folks already there. Megan and her crew had a large table in the middle and the other Michigan folks were eating on the patio. Clark’s crew grabbed a large table and we grabbed another.
    DeVilleGal front and center, then around the table clockwise, DOC, Earl Schieb, Lisa, OldBobSign, HRLC and Slick50.
    [​IMG]

I must add that we were not impressed with the food. Both mine and Larry’s Mahi Mahi and Salmon were WAY over cooked and Ken’s steak was cold. Kevin said his steak was very yummy though. Service was so so. I don’t like to have to ask for water or water replacement, especially at a nice place and Larry’s food was dropped so he had to wait for what I thought was way too long for his replacement. He should have been offered a complimentary dessert or something for his wait. As far as I’m concerned there is no reason to go back there again.

Went down the block to view the Mothman statue that everyone had been telling us about and of course took another Hokey Ass Group Shot
    [​IMG]

AJ and Denise….this chick LOVES to have a good time
    [​IMG]

She decided she wanted to get up close and personal with Mr Mothman.
    [​IMG]

The Caddy heading back to Ohio
    [​IMG]

We took a walk to check out the river
    [​IMG]

Then headed back to the Drive-In. We didn’t want to miss the Coker Challenge. Before the Challenge I did catch Marcie walking around with her new purse. It’s not a trophy Queen but it was made with love……and GoodGuys Gazette photos.
    [​IMG]

Everyone was trying their best to come up with a winning plan
    [​IMG]

8. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

VonDust and crew were trying to stuff one of their own inside the engine compartment
    [​IMG]

He almost fit too!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

JackBolt stopped by to say “hi”. It was wonderful meeting you sweetie and I look forward to seeing you again.
    [​IMG]

So now it was time for the Coker Challenge to begin so anyone that wanted to participate brought their cars up to the grassy area in the front. I knew I didn’t have a chance of winning but I did want to see how many I could get inside Big Olds so I went first. I was shocked on how willing kids climbed into the truck and inside the car. I guess promising them cookies helped.
    [​IMG]

I tucked everyone’s legs inside and ducked their heads as I closed the lid. I was really surprised no one started screaming or crying
    [​IMG]

The judges actually made you sit in the drivers seat just as if you were going to be cruzing into the drive in.
    [​IMG]

I got 18 people inside Big Olds but the judges saw two people move so my final count was 16. Then we let the kids outta the trunk
    [​IMG]

MercDueceMan went next and filled up the inside of his teardrop
    [​IMG]

and back of his pickup
    [​IMG]

and the back of the teardrop. These two little girls were so adorable. They layed completely still for over 10 minutes while the rest of the kids and folks were packed into place.
    [​IMG]

The was a HUGE crowd watching. I really think it was the highlight of the evening’s festivities
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next they started filling up the van
    [​IMG]

No one stood a chance. I think they got 39 people inside. Congrats to Kustom2 for winning the Coker Challenge
    [​IMG]

Flathead Youngin’ and his precious little girl Casey. She is just the sweetest thing. It’s going to be fun watching her grow up at the different car shows in the Midwest.
    [​IMG]

The movie started just as the Coker Challenger was wrapping up so everyone headed back to their cars to settle in. Once the movie started I did poke my head inside the projection room again cuz I wanted to see the setup with the film on it.
    [​IMG]

9. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

After Rebel Without a Cause was over I took a walk around and offered cookies for dessert to HAMB folks. Ran into this friend of Vance’s. I know what it looks like but believe it or not it’s beer in there and the guys were drinking from it.
    [​IMG]

HRLC and Vance
    [​IMG]

Some folks were packing up and heading back to the Holiday Inn to socialize and we decided to do the same. One movie was enough for me. I would have fallen asleep if I would have stayed any longer.

The hotel parking lot was hopping
    [​IMG]

and Big Chief had another whole pan of HAMB crack to share so we heated it up on Bubba teardrops grill.
    [​IMG]

Folks brought more stuff over to share…..it was another feast!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

When Rumbler pulled in I thought for sure he had forgotten his wife at the Drive-In till he pointed in the back.
    [​IMG]

Was out way too late again. Made plans in the morning to meet for breakfast and bid everyone goodnite.

We were up bright and early and heard the story of the cat turds being found in BlktTopBandit’s room just inches from where HulaZombie’s head was. We packed up Big Olds and waited to head to a resturant for breakfast that JohnB had tried a couple months prior and Ryan and crew had tried the nite before. It was located in the quaint little downtown area that I had yet to lay eyes on.

While I was waiting for the others I took another walk around the parking lot looking at the cars.

ScaryLarry and Kim’s, great seeing you two again. Hopefully our paths will cross in Sept.
    [​IMG]

Blown49, wonderful seeing you as well. Hopefully next time we’ll have alittle longer to sit and chat. Your car looked AWESOME, the color really suits it.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lindross’s ride, thanks again for the ride bud. I had a great time hanging out with you and the rest of the Indy folks. Your son Jacob is cool. Hopefully he’s forgiven me for teasing him about his girlfriend.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

EarlSchieb not really able to come down and bid us a fond farewell in person. GREAT seeing you and Lisa again sweetie. Looking forward to hanging out with you at the HAMB Drags next month. (you didn’t think I was going to post this photo did you??)
    [​IMG]

PeteJoe, glad to see ya again bud. It was nice to finally meet your wife.
    [​IMG]

Spoon, always a pleasure sweetie
    [​IMG]

Tree, your car looked GREAT buzzing down the road on the way home.
    [​IMG]

10. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

DOC.’s 55, you were right sweetie, the 55 was the perfect drive in ride
    [​IMG]

yet I certainly wouldn’t have wanted to leave home without the ’33. I’m thrilled you were able to bring both for everyone’s viewing pleasure
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

rbRoadster’s cool wagon, the perfect parking lot party mobile. Call me soon, we’ll hit a few cruz nites the next time your in town.
    [​IMG]

So we finally gather everyone up and head into town.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

My o my, I laid eyes on this area of town for the very first time and visions of Paso screamed in my head. Yep, I can see some changes for next years show.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and the town square park is located right on the river. Absolutley perfect.
    [​IMG]

Wanted to have breakie at this place but it wasn’t open. We were bummed and headed back into the newer area and grabbed something to eat.
    [​IMG]

After breakfast we hit the road with BlkTopBandit and SinglePaul,No Dudes as co-pilot and Squiggy in the back rumble with no seat or back. That dude is HARD CORE
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

KustomLincolnLady and EyeCandy
    [​IMG]

11. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Had fun playing back and forth on the highway. Paul caught some GREAT video of us cruzn and racing. Hopefully he’ll post it or pass it along for one of us to do it.

Ran into Spoons and Tree on the way home
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

We headed to Brain BlkTopBandit’s to pick up a gas tank for Danimal. He gave us the grand tour of his shop and house.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

His steering wheel collection
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Once inside he showed us all his very cool collectables
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

He collects lots of different “stuff”
    [​IMG]

Bid our farewells and hit the road. Still had a three hour drive ahead of us to Danimals place. I had never been there before so it was a hoot to see all the animals on his farm and his sons’ projects
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hung out and chatted with him and his family. Stopped for a quick dinner and got home about 9pm.

Had an AWESOME weekend with AWESOME pals, both old and new. I’d like to thank both Ryan and Marcie for such a wonderful event and Kevin and Jill for helping them out. I couldn’t imagine them being able to do the show and have a good time without your help. I’m already looking forward to next year.

12. jerry

jerry

Thank You!

Feels like I was there thru your coverage!

hugs,
    jerry

13. Doc.

Doc.
    Member Emeritus

HRLC is the Mark Twain of the HAMB. She sure can spin a yarn.

Doc.

14. scarylarry

scarylarry

Denise, always good to see your smile at a show. I just wont bother taking a camera anymore. I'll just copy all of your photos off the HAMB!! Showdown Drags Sept 29th, see you there.

15. novatattoo

novatattoo
    from Canton,OH

another well documented event......

Later, Bill

16. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

17. wvenfield

wvenfield

The stickers were super cool and very nicely done. Thanks. And for anyone who didn't get one....na na na na na. :D

18. BadLuck

BadLuck

WOW..great pictures..looked like a blast..thanks for sharing.....

19. Big Tony

Big Tony

Man i really dig dougs ride and all the other pics...man i got to go on one of your trips...they are the coolest

20. Yeah, I'm sure nobody fell for those puppy dog eyes :rolleyes:. Great coverage on what looks like a blast.

Thanks,
    Kurt

21. MercMan1951

MercMan1951

Wonderful coverage, Denise...as usual. Very cool... :D

22. JohnJoyo

JohnJoyo
    Alliance Vendor
    from Austin, TX

Thanks for the adventure.
    I went to my first drive in last weekend in St.Paul, MN. It was GREAT! I'm gonna have to make it to this show next year. Looks like a blast.

23. Dahlhjelm

Dahlhjelm

Looks like alot of fun!

/Eric.

24. JohnJoyo

JohnJoyo
    Alliance Vendor
    from Austin, TX

Denise....BTW, the HAMB crack.....is it queso? What the heck is that?

25. 29ZZ4FORD

29ZZ4FORD
    from NWFLA

Thanks Denise. I've only been hear for about a year. But I really look forward to reading your Event Coverage.

26. 29 sedanman

29 sedanman
    from Indy

Great coverage Denise. My wife and I had a great time.

Hope to see you in Louisville for the nats.

27. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

Great Coverage As Usual. Next Year I'm There!

28. Denise, the event's never really over until your "Adventure" post. Your hard work, journalistic and photographic skills create the perfect souvenir. THANK YOU!:)

29. Sixcarb

Sixcarb
    from North NJ

Thank You Denise, Great coverage as usual.

30. Danimal

Danimal
    1. A-D Truckers

Jabez wants to know when you are coming back to give him more treats. He liked you!!!

I've been cleaning the jungle this week so next time it won't look so overgrown! Thanks for stopping and thanks for my gas tank! That's a heck of a relay.

Nice to put faces with so many names, well most of the faces, some are just too scary!!!!!!! Great coverage, as usual. I'll have to join in on one of your adventures.

Off to the junk yard...