Register now to get rid of these ads!

Tri-year chevy gasser questions:

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hubnut, Jul 5, 2007.

1. I've been dealin with a buddy of mine to get my hands on a 57 Chevy 2dr 150 business coupe. My buddy is in his early 60's and has ALOT of cool steel around his place. His "collection" brought tears to my eyes (his lawn ornament is a 32 Ford p/u that was built in the mid 60s, and dont even get me started on his 32 3 window that was also built in the 60's! Or the 2 58 impala converts, or the 55 bel air drag car from the mid 60s...etc etc) Anyways back on track! My buddy says back in 62 he had a 55 2dr sedan with a tilt frontend and a straight axle. He says the frontend was just a stock straightaxle from under a p/u of the same vintage. Couldnt remember about the steering. I was questioning the width. So I know that some of you guys can tell me what they were doing back then. Im wanting to put this 57 together on the cheap, but its GOTTA have that early 60s look.

2. primed55

primed55

48-55 (first series) chevy and GMC pick up staight axles work well, after that they stated making them wider, but the true era correct axle of choice (especialy for doing it on the creap) is a Ford Econoliner axle, they're small, light, narrow, and the left springs match up to your stock frame rails.

3. 650hellcat

650hellcat
    from tejas

Is there any aftermarket axle companies that make an econoline axle?

4. I dont know about any repop econoline stuff. Speedway sells a straightaxle kit for theses but Ive heard some good things about them, and some bad things about them. I have been tossing around the idea of just rebuiling the stock frontend, swapping the hubs and bearings to get the roller type, and then letting it cook. These things weren't real low to start with.

5. primed55

primed55

Thats exactly what i did to mine, the only change to the front suspention is roller bearings. The stock springs sits pretty much where i want it. I've never wanted it to be sky high...

My buddie used the Speedway kit and although it was the look he wanted I didn't like how narrow it was.

6. brandon

brandon

mas will do custom width axles....and i think they offer one for econoline spindles.....brandon:D

7. Got any pics you can post of how yours sits right now?