Register now to get rid of these ads!

Model A Tudor - Roadster?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bullington, Jun 12, 2007.

1. Bullington

Bullington
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Does anyone have pics or experience making a model A roadster out of a tudor body. I have found some info, but no pics or definite proof of one.

-bullsac

2. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

i think you'd be better off starting with a coupe or sport coupe...your going to have alot of wasted metal by the time your done

All you'd use would be the cowl and door's i would think

people have built phaeton type cars from sedans many times...that wouldnt be a big deal...just chop off the top...thin down the doors and cap off the edges then make a windsheild thats slanted back and not so bulky
    good luck
    Zach

3. Bullington

Bullington
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

I agree completely. It is early and I didn't word it correctly. Has anyone cut the top off a Tudor to make it a pseudo roadster? Keeping the length etc. Thanks for the reply

4. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

There have been plenty of Tudors whacked up to make illusions of things they aren't really. Chop off the top and shorten the rear section, filling the wheel pockets flush and you've got sort of a roadster pickup cab. Chop off the top and you've got sort of a 2door phaeton. Chop off the top, throw away the tail, add a coupe tail and you've got sort of a roadster.

5. Bullington

Bullington
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

I was toying with the thought of taking a top off and making a 2 door phaeton essentially. Something clean and functional. I will see if I can track down some pics

6. Chris P

Chris P
    from Tucson

If you start with a tudor you could go 1 of 2 ways. (how i see it) You could make an A400 or a phaeton. I like both...

7. Burgy

Burgy

8. That was a tudor,that had already had the top removed,to make it into a touring(phaeton).Very good looking car when finished,and a very kind save of one also,since it got a V8 where it had an import when they started.:eek:

9. I have considerable experience with this. I built my roadster pickup from a 2 door model A. If you plan on making a phaeton, it is even easier, because you don't have to mess with the body subframe, nor the rear door jambs. The biggest issue you will face is that the sides of the body from the doors on back get really floppy when you cut the top off. You will have to have some good welding skills, and some good panel making skills to fabricate stiffner panels to weld around the inside top edges of the body to finish it off properly. and to give it strength. This is definately not rocket science, and this type of conversion has been done numerous times. If you have any questions, PM me.---Brian

Attached Files:

10. Paul

Paul
    Editor

there is one near me,
    a bit crude but it's been on the road for many years
    two door sedan cut to a two door phaeton

I'll see if I can find a picture...
    (it was in OSR a few months ago, guy's name is Bill Rowland)

11. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

This is the nicest one I've ever seen. The tricky parts are the tops of the doors and of course the cowl. Chip Foose did a nice job on the one that they "overhauled". It's more work than you might think to get a nice looking phaeton instead of a hack job. IMHO

12. The Foose build is covered in Rod and Custom magazine,Nov.2006---Here are a few rather horrible pictures taken with my digital camera of the article.

Attached Files:

13. I've got this one for sale... got it from another Hamber who did a great job...super nice guy as well. If I kept it, I'd just thin the doors a little.

These are fun, cause you can get 4 people in them still...
    I also bought an old soft top from a Phaeton, would look nice on here...
    I own too many cars and just can't keep them all.

Attached Files: