Register now to get rid of these ads!

"Deuce Of Spades" - The Next American Graffiti?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HiboyGirl, Jun 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HiboyGirl

HiboyGirl

So many of you have asked me to post details about the hotrod movie I have set out to film. So here's the full scoop. Could this be the next American Graffiti? I don't know, but it sure looks promising!! :D

Below: Deuce Of Spade movie graphics
    [​IMG]

OVERVIEW

"Deuce Of Spades" is not another documentary about hotrods. Documentaries, we have plenty of. What we've all been aching for, (for much too long) is a good full feature hotrod movie. So I set out to make us one. One we can (hopefully) all be PROUD of.

"Deuce Of Spades" is a full feature film (probably a little over 2 hours long), with a script, a story, and it is fiction, although inspired by true stories. The film includes scenes from 2007 and flashback scenes back to 1955. It is being filmed in California, in and around the San Fernando Valley, Los Angeles, Oxnard, Sand Canyon, Orange County and Mohave desert to be more specific. It is being shot on digital format at 24 fps.

Please visit the film's website to see great photos, read the plot or contact me about the film:

http://www.deuceofspadesmovie.com

Below: Saugus dragstrip, 1955. (re-creation)
    [​IMG]

HOW IT STARTED

Last fall I completed a one hour short film "Last of the Hiboy Girls" and had so much fun doing it I decided that I should try to make a full feature film next. From mere thought, I jumped into writing the script, putting together the website, doing the graphics, scouting for talent, lining up actors, cars and locations. Next thing I know the movie is snow bowling into proportions far larger than I had ever anticipated.

All done by one little hotrod girl, on a no budget. It's amazing the things you can accomplish when you put your mind, heart and soul to it. And when you have a cool deuce to open doors for you. And a bunch of cool hotrodders friends to help you.

Below: SCTA time trials - 2007
    [​IMG]

Jim Miller (curator for the Hotrod Foundation) has been my historical consultant for the movie to insure the accuracy of all the flashback scenes, down to the smallest detail. Everything has been thoroughly researched. The SCTA, LACR, Peterson Museum and many other entities have been graciously helping me with locations and content. Several of our most respected hotrod hall of famers, have accepted cameo parts in this film to help me. I also have the contribution of the world's best young swing dancers. They're my friends and they are excited to show off their moves and aerials for the film.
    I am grateful to all.

THE PLOT

The movie takes place in Los Angeles in 2007. A hotrod girl (me) buys a 32 roadster (my car) and she's working on it when one day she discovers, neatly tucked away inside one of the rear quarter panels, an old letter dated Sept 1955. It is a heart wrenching love letter which appears to be of the utmost significance. It is sealed, stamped, has the address on it, but is not postmarked and was never mailed. It has been sitting in the bowls of this hotrod for 50 years. The girl becomes fascinated and obsessed with this letter and sets out to find answers. Her goal? Find out who wrote the letter, why he wrote it, why he didn't mail it and how the roadster is connected to the letter and the man behind the letter. She will have to face many challenges along the way to discover the truth. And once she does there is no turning back. As she uncovers the story of hotrod hero Johnny Callaway, we see it in the form of flashbacks to 1953, 1955 and 1959. Now our hotrod girl has one last mission... But if you want to know what that is, you'll have to watch the movie ! ;)

Below: Eric Callero, starring as "Johnny Callaway" 1955 hotrod hero.
    [​IMG]

This is not a "fluff' movie. This is a drama, a story of loss and restoration. But worry not, you are going to see more cars, customs, old school hotrods in one film than you ever have. So fasten your seat belts, because this film is going to ROCK. Hard. But not in a "Hollywood" kind of a way. Please don't expect cars crashing, wild street chases and big explosions, and other Hollywood stereotypes. This is a no budget endeavor. Do however expect to see a film of great substance, depth, a film that will charm you, inspire you and, more than likely, give you a big knot in your throat. Its' going to tug at your heart strings pretty hard.

WHERE THE FILM IS AT CURRENTLY

So here I am. Pre-production is near done and filming has already started. I have filmed for the last 3 months, gathering mouth watering stock footage of dry lake racing, drag racing, car shows and cruising... Now I am starting to film the actual fictional scenes of the movie. I expect that I will be filming every week-end for the next six to 10 months. I will be editing (rough edits) as I go. Then I will fine tune the edits and do the score. Yes, I am also a seasoned writer/singer/musician. Have been doing this for longer than I can remember (see www.alternatefaith.com).

The music for the movie has already been selected and lined up. The soundtrack is going to rock. We have a great line up of rockabilly bands thanks to WILD RECORDS, doo-wop bands and swing bands, plus Alternate Faith, my own project, providing the acoustic modern rock tracks and score.

Below: Johnny Callaway at Lincoln Heights Jail in 1957
    [​IMG]

I NEED YOUR HELP

I still need to line up a few locations, cars and extras. And 50's props. I could use any help from anyone willing to contribute in any way. THANK YOU.. I will post a reply to this and also a separate announcement to give you a list of things I could use or need badly. Any help is greatly appreciated. Remember I am doing this all by myself, "with a little help from my friends".

ALSO please get the word out about the "Deuce of Spades"

Please note that although there was a movie released in 1922 with the same title, my movie has NOTHING to do with it. It is not a remake of the other movie. Note that many movies do share the same title and that titles are not copyrightable.

Thank you and many blessings.

FAITH

2. HiboyGirl

HiboyGirl

Here is your chance to help me :)

LIST OF THINGS I STILL NEED BADLY:

1- More 1955 or ealier period correct hotrods and stock cars. You drive your own car. Mostly one day shoot - or couple hours shoot. Cars to use as parked cars, cross traffic etc...

2- A 50's looking kitchen for one quick scene.

3- A house that can pass as 50's for outside shots (front yard)

4- Leads to find streets that look "older" or small towns that still look old but not currently being used solely for the studios (cause I have no budget so I can't rent) - must be local to me (Los Angeles area)

5- A bar or restaurant with a bar

6- A bedroom, must have window with curtains, with a wood bed and table that could pass as 50's. Small and simple OK.

7- Any 1950's prop I could borrow or have. (a 50's pack of cigarette would be useful)

8- 1950 chairs, the kind you would see in a school or hospital, plain, metal prefered but wood might work too. Old and decrepite OK. I'm not picky, we'll fix them up.

9- 1950's radio, rotary telephones, any color.

10- Offices, buildings, homes, private land, private roads, private property, gardens etc... You must be the property owner so I can get the release/permission to film.

11- EXTRAS; I need younger (16 to 30 year sold) guys with 50's hair cuts (clean cuts short in back a hair bit longer at top - sideburns not necessary, in 55 there were not that prominent yet). If you have tatooes you will have to cover them up, this is 1955. No facial hair or piercing (or take them out)

I have a big scene where we are going to re-create the Saugus dragstrip staging area. I need a lot of boys and old looking jalopies and stock car (shoe boxes especially) for that. One day shoot, probably in Canyon Country or Palmdale or El Mirage area.

Have something you think I coud use but did not list? EMAIL ME!

Can you help with camera? Lighting? Sound? Building a set? Carrying gear? Or even just as an extra hand - no experience necessary... Please email me! I sure could use help... It's really hard when I have to do everything myself.

THANK YOU, If I think of anything else, I will add it.

3. cruzr

cruzr

you can use my car if it fits in

I am in so Cal{orange county} retired, and grew up in the 50's hot rod scene here

Attached Files:

4. KustmAce

KustmAce

cool! good luck with the project.

5. Choptop

Choptop

What are you shooting with? Do you have a grip truck?

6. Eric's got the starring role?

Thats way cool, have you seen his Flying Saucers Rock n Roll Movie?

7. Bigdaddy

Bigdaddy
    BANNED

I got a house and bedroom that may work. in old towne Orange... I also have a hot rod...

8. rebarsfords

rebarsfords

I wish I lived closer.
    I would love to help with any manual labor stuff I could do.
    It would be so cool to be a part of that.
    Keep us informed.

9. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

Good luck with this project Hiboy Girl.
    Watch and re watch The Wold's Fastest Indian. I think that would be great inspiration of what can be successfully achieved on a low budget none Hollywood production. I think if you can achieve what was done with that movie then you will have done well.
    Being in Australia I can do little to help, but say good on you.
    Geoff aka whodaky

10. HiboyGirl

HiboyGirl

Can you email me a few photos of front of house and then bedroom? :) Old Orange has a great vibe... It would work well I think...

11. HiboyGirl

HiboyGirl

Oh yeah great movie, but they had a "low" budget, I have a NO budget... Big difference. With a NO budget, you have to be extremely smart, creative and LUCKY to pull it off :D ... But so far so good...

12. HiboyGirl

HiboyGirl

Sure have. :D Eric is way cool, I could not think of anyone who looks more like Johnny Callaway than him. Between you and I , I think he was born to play this role. ;)

13. 1320Paul

1320Paul

Awesome idea, I'm sick of the fart can movies, good luck!!

14. Are you who I think you are...the gal in the Navy outfit that was at Paso? I took some pictures of you in my friends Metalflake 61 Caddy.

15. Dennis M.

Dennis M.
    from San Jose

Here's a pic of my car if you're interested.

Attached Files:

16. Dennis M.

Dennis M.
    from San Jose

And two more.

Attached Files:

17. Good luck from New Zealand, Faith. An awesome project, and I'm sure you will succeed in "spades".

18. lewislynn

lewislynn

9- 1950's radio, rotary telephones, any color.

1950's phones can be any color, as long as it's black. Phones of different colors didn't come out untill the 60's

19. Abomination

Abomination

Really? That makes this 1956 ad a lie, then.

~Jason

[​IMG]

20. Harms Way

Harms Way

I really wish I could help you out with this project,... But Michigan is a long way from sunny California,.....

21. Hey hi boy girl....

I wish you all the best of luck in your mammoth undertaking. The "great" Hollywood directors started with very little nut had BIG dreams....look at George Lucas.

You are right in believing that you can achieve great things with guts, passion,desire and belief and hey if youve got to dream, then DREAM BIG !!!

I just wish I could be involved in some way in YOUR dream !!

Please keep us up to date with your progress ans successes!!

And rememeber, luck has NOTHING to do with it....

Rat

22. jangleguy

jangleguy

I'm listening to "pieces" right now - very good. If you can use any long distance help, I'm in. I'm a builder and writer these last few years - 23 years of singer/songwriting before that. We have some things in common...

23. HiboyGirl

HiboyGirl

24. HiboyGirl

HiboyGirl

Yop, I'm the 40's navy outfit gal... I see my little outtfit has made quite an impression on everyone :D -

Can you email me the photos? I was so busy filming all week-end and in the end never took any photos to remember my trip with...

25. HiboyGirl

HiboyGirl

You might be right, I wan't there but if so then a lot of ebay listing are incorrect, as I have seen pink and off white 50's phoens listed there... They probably don't know any better.

Thanks for the tip.

26. Crusty Nut

Crusty Nut

I'm at the other end of the state, but if anything comes up that I can help with up here just let me know.

27. HiboyGirl

HiboyGirl

Thank you mate :)

Guess what? I am using my trained Australian Cattle Dog for one scene in the movie. :D I trained her myself and she has near movie tricks level. She is amazingly smart. She is also amazingly not friendly to strangers so she will never be a movie star... Except in my movie that is - noone else will be allowed on the set, but her and me...

I intend to strap the camera to her back as an experiment for a few shots. I wonder how that will come out, as she is chasing after me... If I can aim the camera to shoot between her big ears it woud be cool. Shaky, but COOL... Youll see her ears i the foreground and me way ahead running like hell with a crazy cattle dog chasing after me

YIKES!

28. HiboyGirl

HiboyGirl

I wrote a really neat Theme song for the movie called "The great Divide"

If you have instrumentals or songs you want to pitch send away. I still have room for more music. Especially moody, mellow stuff. Old style Blues would work great too. Or anything else that is real good...

I am still lacking very 50's sounding tunes. Especially 50's uptempo doo-wops... Anyone have leads for original 50's sounding material? I can't use already released songs, because I don't have a budget to pay for the license to use them. So I need obscure, unsigned bands from back then or bands from today t that sounds like 50's bands and that own their own songs / copyrights.

29. jbon64

jbon64
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

best to ya HBG , wish i was closer , i'd be there

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.