Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ford AOD

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by FordFan, Jun 27, 2007.

1. FordFan

FordFan

Hopefully you bright folks can help me with my current project. I am putting a 5.0 mustang engine and AOD trans in a 49 ford. I have a Lokar tv kickdown cable kit and i need to set it up using the tv pressure. I can not find any information on where the tv port on the trans is. Do any of you Trans guys know where the port is? Thanks for the Help.

2. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

It is on the driver side, seems like just above and maybe to the rear of the shift are. Pipe plug. If you can't locate it, let me know and I will send picture. You will probably find that the Lokar setup does not have enough push to move the lever all the way back. I made an additional spring for mine. A friend recently had the same experience installing an AOD, so I assume it may be true on all Lokar setups.

3. mercury Bill

mercury Bill

I did mine useing the tv port and gauge several years ago. DO NOT waste your money and time doing this. The tool that they talk about is right at 40 bucks. When you adjust it acording to their instructions it shifts like crap..I've adjusted mine several times since then and never used that crap again...

Start out with the cable installed loose, put the adjuster in about the middle of the bracket (this is the little alunimum adjuster), now pull the cable to where there is just a little spring tension the lever needs to move about 1/2 inch. Tighten the allen wrench set screw. Drive the car just around the block or down the street to see if it shifts. Once you get it to shift, do your final adjustments in and out to suit your needs.

The cable starts to stretch in about 3 weeks so you have to adjust this for a while.

I just dont remember whitch port is the correct one anymore.

Now, if you want the correct tool for this. I can supply this for 30 bucks 10 bucks cheaper than I bought it for, but you'll never use it again...lol
    Hope this helps.

Bill

4. CMenard

CMenard

Since I've been too cheap to buy a gauge to check mine, here's what I did.

I set up the cable to move as soon as the gas pedal moves and both hit WOT at the same time. I've got about 2500 miles on the setup and it drives and shifts great.

I've also seen them hooked up to the gas pedal on non-Holley 4 barrel setups. In that case you can play with the location on the pedal that gives the correct travel.

This isn't the "correct" method of adjustment by any means but does work. Here's a good link that answers your question.

http://http://www.tciauto.com/Products/Instructions/instructions/431000_inst.htm

5. FordFan

FordFan

Thanks Okie. I know just the port you are talking about. it will require an elbow to get to it but not big deal. It looks like it is going all the way back at this point. I did have to shave a bit of the oil pan rail down. Just about a 16th of an inch though and it still has plenty of gasket contact. The Lokar arm hit the rail at the throttle closed position. If they had just made the arm a little different....:rolleyes:

Mark

6. mosimpson

mosimpson

The pressure ports on mine are on the passengers side.:confused:

7. Chris Casny

Chris Casny

Hate to say it, but that port is NOT on the driver side. The port you want to use is on the passenger side. There are three ports on the Pside, use the middle one, otherwise you will get a false reading, trust me, I've been there done that.
    How to adjust the trans you see in the in the instructions (5/16" spacer blah, blah, blah)

8. I am so cool, I just figured out that WOT means wide open throttle.
    I think.