Register now to get rid of these ads!

Pops bought a shoebox!!!! Sorry Dad, ya know about me and secrets!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Da Tinman, Jun 25, 2007.

1. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

I was on my way to the shop last week and saw this 50 ford four door in a small lot just off the main road. From the road it looked a little rough, but was mostly there. Drove by it for a few days, figured I'd take a closer look. Sign said it runs. Pop the hood, complete all original flatty. HMMM, Pop the trunk, all the trim that wasn't on the car was in there and so were spare water pumps, carb, and the horns. HMMMMM, Floors are good, one hole in the rear foot well. Trunk has one hole in the corner. One small hole in the roof. Glass is good,

HEY Dad!! ya need to check this thing out!!!

Call the number, car was purchased at an estate auction, motor was pulled, rebuilt and reinstalled. Owner lost interest and it sat just like it is for 20 years. Purchase price,, $1300 and we drove it on the trailer!!

Car is really solid, lots of surface rust, lower fenders need some luvin, and the rear wheel openings are shot and one corner of the trunk needs patched.

Plans include fix the brakes and exhaust, put some tires on it and flat black it. Drive the crap out of it and see what it needs.

All other plans have yet to be argued out! BUT it won't be stocker, massive altitude change is first non essential fix!

Youtube video of it running:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHk0bo0Fzb4

Plan on using HAMB knowledge a lot. This a good project fairly popular and we can read about others mistakes, and then probably make them ourselves.

Attached Files:

2. buckeye_01

buckeye_01

Excellent find man. Great price too. Enjoy it!

3. no kidding, very cool

4. chopnchaneled

chopnchaneled
    from Buford Ga.

Congrats !!! from one shoeboxer to another.

5. ...leave the patina, don't flat-black it.

6. First purchase should be a radiator cap! Nice score.

7. burger

burger

+1

8. HotRodRick49

HotRodRick49

9. Good luck on the shoebox

10. fuel pump

fuel pump
    Member Emeritus
    from Caro,MI

Ya just can't have too many shoeboxes around. :D Nice find.

11. Shoeboxes are always so right , don't touch the patina,,,,,,,

12. Crankhole

Crankhole

Nice find. I don't care if it's overdone. Flatback looks good. Enjoy it.

13. Cool deal, great find. Rags

14. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

We are wanting to get it road worthy pretty fast. There are a few big jobs to get done, but almost all of them are covered here.

We would never have bought this thing if it weren't for the Hamb. Wonderful place this is!!!

Once its on the road then we can whittle on it as time allows. We are wanting to keep as much of the stock look and feel as possible, using as many original parts as we can. The suicide cylinder is gone and the 72 Maverick M/C will be in its place. Gonna try to get it in the stock location, If it works I'll post how here.

Gonna teach the girls how sand paper and wire brushes work, get the floors painted and covered. I dont know if they are gonna be to happy about it.

As for the enjoying part, We already are!!! Having a something to work on is a lot better than wishin we had something any day!!!

15. Castr8r

Castr8r
    Member Emeritus

Big Mouth Tinman had to spill the beans, didn't he? I think the flatblack is overdone; the ''patina" doesn't work on some things for me.. Don't want a shiny, obnoxious paint job either. I want to have a low key, subtle job that will be easy to touch up (rattle can/roller) that will keep my amatuerish efforts disguised. I don't think it'll be a show car, but I hope people will like it as a 'cruiser'. Drop it inna weeds with lakers and duals with glasspaks for drivin'- gotta hear that flatty talk, or there ain't no sense in doin' it! Gonna be a LOT of sweat equity in this job!

16. frankenford

frankenford

Congrats man. But I have to say I just got one for free but it isn't in as nice of shape.

17. publicenemy1925

publicenemy1925
    from OKC, OK

Way cool box. Drop it in dah weeds and roll on.

18. rodknocker

rodknocker

what he said....yup mines a 4 door too