Register now to get rid of these ads!

OT: Jesse James For Mayor

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Jun 15, 2007.

?
  1. Yes, it's a good cause...

190 vote(s)
    44.9%
  2. No, it's not relevant...

233 vote(s)
    55.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Ok, here's the deal. A H.A.M.B. member that happens to be a celebrity in some worlds is asking for our help. In his words:

Now, to be honest I don't know how to feel about this. I'm all for helping folks and think it's pretty cool to see someone like Jesse giving an effort. That said, this joint is here for Hot Rods and Customs and I like to keep it pretty focused. I'm a simpleton of sorts... and don't want to muddy the waters.

Still, I'm uncomfortable making this call for the community and think you guys need to make the decision. Therefore, this is a poll... If Jesse gets a favorable vote of over 70% by this coming Monday (or 500 votes - whichever comes first), I will stick a thread promoting his project and add a sponsorship spot on TJJ on the house. If it doesn't meet the 70% mark, then I will let this thing die away.

You guys make the call... I'm out.

2. the-rodster

the-rodster

I don't quite know what to think about it.....

Rich

3. I think it would be very cool....But I would hate the HAMB name to be spread around like the "VonDutch" logo a few years ago....I guess I'm neutral

4. Sixcarb

Sixcarb
    from North NJ

I like the idea.......maybe it might have a chance of opening some eyes where it's needed.

5. Ruiner

Ruiner

Good deal Ryan, and I like the sponsorship deal too...no matter what people think of JJ and his business, this is a good thing...I wish him the best of luck...

6. jusjunk

jusjunk
    BANNED
    from Michigan

Ya know love em or hate em i think he is sincere and wants to promote traditonal rods and the HAMB. What can it hurt
    Dave

7. wvenfield

wvenfield

Neither do I. I feel 100% comfortable with Ryan making the call. But I guess that is what he did.

I think I'll read for awhile before voting. I also think that it falls way down my list of priorities though.

8. bigblockmama

bigblockmama

I like the idea, but it seems it isn't as much about a car show for the hamb as it is a promotional thing........

9. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I'm in the same boat. Might be really cool....might blow up into something we don't need.

10. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

This isn't about promoting the H.A.M.B.

Forget Jesse's offer as I don't know if it is something I would take him up on anyway. That's a decision that would be made later.

This is more about his project.

11. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

I come to the HAMB for OLD CARS, built the way they used to be built.....and to find better ways to acheive that with my own cars.....
    I don't find any ANY relation between this new reality? show and building old cars.........therefore I feel it doesn't belong.....just my OPINION.

I have strong feelings about this place staying pure............:cool:

That all said, I'm sure this'll get it's 70%......:rolleyes:

12. raven

raven

"WE CAN HAVE A BITCHIN OLD SCHOOL CAR SHOW IN SOME HICK TOWN THAT NEEDS IT!......."

Well his attitude about small towns is enough for me to vote, "STAY THE HELL AWAY FROM THIS"
    r

13. dickster27

dickster27
    from Texas

I've seen and read alot about Jessie James. And my conclusion is that he is very genuine and is commited to his beliefs. I think he can take this idea and grow it into something very positive. He has my vote.
    the Dickster

14. fiat128

fiat128
    from El Paso TX

I wouldn't mind seeing a show that had a bunch of HAMB'ers and their cars.

Maybe, it would do some good to promote the idea that old cars are a hobby and not something to call the city about or to crush in a misguided attempt to clean up the air.

15. VonMoldy

VonMoldy
    from UTARRGH!

To me it sounded like he wanted to announce that there is going to be a car show but also promote the tv show.
    If I was running the HAMB I think I would allow it. yes its not totally on topic but its not just some random stuff either. I see it as some guy telling theres a car show coming up thats connected to his possible TV show.

16. this looks like it may be entertaining and good for back woods America.

17. Chris Casny

Chris Casny

I thought he was not going to do anymore TV anymore and wanted to focus on his own stuff.
    All he is promoting on the HAMB, is the show and himselfs.
    I don't think his thread has a place here.
    Having said that, I think the show could be good and would watch it.
    I voted no, because it's NOT relevant to the Hamb.

18. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

The HAMB could easily be flogged in inappropriate ways, as part of the ratrod fad, for instance, or as something exactly like OldSkoolRodz.
    I think it would only be worth doing if Ryan had some sort of partial creative control/veto power. Total creative control of someone else's show would be both unlikely and wrong, I think, but there should definitely be veto power at the proposal level and some sort of input from someone here. A GOOD look at the HAMB by an intelligent observer would be great, ratrod fluff on national TV would be dreadful.

19. xderelict

xderelict
    Member Emeritus

I guess someone should ask the hicks.

20. Aman

Aman
    from Texas

Well Ryan, since you put it like that, I don't know now. I was thinking go for it, if it promoted the HAMB in a positive way. Take the HAMB out and it's a cross between Monster Garage and the Simple Life...Humm...I better think about this over the weekend.

21. buzzard

buzzard
    Alliance Member

Where's the "Hell No!" button?

So, some guy that uses his badass welding and fab skills to become a TV star and celebrity wants to use your Brand for a TV show? Nice guy, or well intentioned, doesn't really play here. What if it was Oprah, or that Ty guy that builds houses? They both help people, and make good money doing it. Would you allow the Jalopy Journal/ HAMB brand on the Simple Life? They go to "hick" towns and cheer people up.

I doubt that any of those scenarios would be considered. It's not like he's asking about something that has anything to do with cars. I think it's really cool that so many HAMBer's have been asked to be on Monster Garage. And this isn't about knocking Jesse, or the show. I think it's seems like good, heartwarming, uplifting show.

But think of the people that would sign on the HAMB if it were mentioned on there. They certainly wouldn't be here to learn about hot rods and customs.

22. NoSurf

NoSurf

This whole thing just smacks of self-promotion.

I don't see where the HAMB would benefit?

Help a small town- great. But explain where it goes from TV fluff/bullshit to actually helping a town long-term?

One carshow will help one small town for one weekend a year
    ?

Seems to me I remember an affluent member of society donating a large sum of money into a trust to build libraries in small towns all across America?

Plus- Does Jesse James give a shit what we think anyway? No.

23. TRAVEZ

TRAVEZ

But think of the people that would sign on the HAMB if it were mentioned on there. They certainly wouldn't be here to learn about hot rods and customs.[/QUOTE]

That would be my concern. i don't think there would probably be any blazing HAMB logos or i would hope not..that would suck to see people who have no clue about us sporting t-shirts etc...on the other hand i always try to promote the HAMB for people who genuinely show interest about our place. i think the show would be a cool project. and i also think that mr. james would not sell the HAMB out. just my opinion.

_T

24. KCsledz

KCsledz

Idea is good, but this is the wrong forum. Why promote just because he is a member. I would love to have my freelance business go full time so I can reach out to the community in a positive manner but I don't come to an unrelated forum to promote and ask for some extra business pimp-age.

25. BigDanF4i

BigDanF4i

As a younger working class guy in a small town, I say it's a good thing, yes it may be O/T, but don't look at it as an opportunity to spread the HAMB name, instead look at it as an opportunity to do something in a community that needs help.

An event in a small town like a town fair combined with a car show can do wonders for community involvement. HAMB doesn't need to be plastered on things, and honestly it's probably better if it wasn't. but if there was something like this that happened near me, I would be more inspired to take a more proactive approach to community involvement.

Right now my town is run by an older generation, they are the main population that votes, and so they are the ones that control things. The majority of them don't realize that the economy that keeps their bills and taxes cheap around here is killing the town. Driving down the street it looks like crap, its dirty and dingy. The historic buildings that used to line main street and the town square are being replaced with cookie cutter businesses like walgreens and starbucks. Thayers Pharmacy which still had the original soda fountain is now a Jackson Hewitt Tax Service. Things could be worse I know, but it still bothers me. I don't claim to be a saint, or perfect. I dont volunteer 7 nights a week. But I do try to support the local 4-H. When the high school built a new gym and wellness center. My Dad and I volunteered our labor. I try to help a bit. but the more I see. I get a little discouraged. and Maybe thats the problem with most people. just sitting there letting life go by.

Something like this could shake people up, even seeing it on TV would hopefully light a fire under the asses of my generation. soaked in reality TV. Granted I don't think I would watch it, maybe the first episode, but i still think it would be a good thing.

Kinda went on a rant, sorry. But I keep kicking around moving because it makes me sick what I see in my town and no-one seems to want to do anything. So this is something that hits close to home.

26. rustypipes

rustypipes
    from san jose

Shits just like Oprah, just another way to make more money, Thumbs down and a middle finger up!

If I seriously wanted to help others in need or do some good deeds, I wouldnt look for an audience to tell me how great I was for doing so!
    plus there are enough Fadster's riding the tails as it is, I dont know about anyone else, but Im Not looking for anymore.

But thats just My 2 cents.

27. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

wrong turn Clyde.

28. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

I voted 'no' because he always types in all caps...

Seriously. I imagine he is on every other board he is registered to pitching the same idea.

29. BigDanF4i

BigDanF4i

I went on my rant and lost sight of what the poll was about, my answer, get the Hamb involved, but leave the Hamb name out of it

30. Flathead Youngin'

Flathead Youngin'

I'm getting ready to go on vacation but I'd really like to follow this.

You see, I am from one of "these" small towns that used to really represent what America is all about. We once was a thriving steel town that was growing and full of middle class Americans. Now, we have a high poverty rate, high unemployment, the usual crap. And, I'd love to see something like this hit our town. I teach a local wood shop program and I see it every year; our youth leaving in droves. They need work. There's kind of a joke around here, "P-town sucks, but it's home." Boy, ain't that the truth.

Just now, for example, there is a 41 Williys street rod for sale on eBay that our local Joint Vocational School is trying to sell. Nice rod, it really is. I'm sure they need to sell this thing so they can start again on another one......the thing hardly hit 30k!

Anyway, when I first read it I was thinking "no way!" But, after watching the video and seeing JJ enough to know that he's real, I'd say yes......IF Ryan has a lot of control to stop something goofy from happening (just like wise ole' Lancaster said).

Like others, I just don't want to see rat rods, and every Von Dutch person in the world wearing a HAMB shirt........let's keep this place special.....

I'll vote yes, if Ryan is in control.......answer this and I'll vote....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.