Register now to get rid of these ads!

Torsion bars on a beam axle

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Greg Stokes, May 22, 2007.

1. I just wondered if many of you on here had fitted torsion bar suspension onto a beam axle.
    I have just finished doing it on my Model A and it has worked out really well.
    I ran the torsion bars along side the inside of the chassis rail and the arm connects to the radius rod via a male to female rod end.
    The end result is a very clean front end that looks like the axle is just floating.
    Still yet to fit the panhard bar to eliminate sideward movement

2. Rckt98

Rckt98

Hey Greg, have you swapped out that 4 Cyl yet, Rocket Mtrs look cool.
    Russell

3. gahi

gahi
    from Moab, UT

I've thought about doing this but making the connection look like a friction shock. Any pics?

4. Photos? How is it located? Wishbones, hairpins? Good idea for Tech Week!

5. Russell, Russell, Russell,

Those rocket motors are like SB Chevy's - belly buttons!
    The fourbanger is staying, its got a Winfield head and a alloy twin carb intake now!
    And USA life is treating you well????
    email [email protected]

Greg

6. There are a couple here in A bones, sitting pretty low. I've only got pix of the cars, not the actual setups

Attached Files:

• 4135.jpg
      4135.jpg
      File size:
      67.3 KB
      Views:
  7. My Kurtis-Kraft Offy Midget has torsion. It doesn't use a panhard rod. Instead, one side uses a dead perch type of anchor to the axle. It's really very simple.

Show us pics of what ya' have. If it's similar to what I have, I'll take a couple of pics for ya'.

8. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

I was thinking about doing a dead perch setup. Does it matter what side is the "dead" side?
    PICS PLEASE!

9. I had never thought of doing a dead perch set up but it makes sense doesnt it?
    I have always heard that a dead perch should be on the opposite side to the steering box?
    I will try and get some pics posted soon.

10. We want pictures!

11. xderelict

xderelict
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    tube axel but the torsion bars are interesting anyway.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And Ak Millers roadster,the lever for the torsion bar is below the shock mount. The other torsion bar is just visible under the other frame rail

12. brandon

brandon

search for lee osborne and steve parmides (butchered that badly..lol) ....the osborne stuff is ultra slick .....as is the steve guy i mentioned...as he worked for osborne....dave wilder i think is the guy that owns lees old tub set up like this.....brandon:D

13. Lotsa' luck talkin' to Osborne. He won't even leave the shop long enough to look at a car in his driveway, little alone answer the phone or return a call :rolleyes: .

14. Torsion bars and a Wayne 12 port head.
    It doesn't get much better than that.

15. InDaShop

InDaShop
    from Houston

16. That setup would be even more cool if the aluminum arms were replaced with some type of cast parts. The splines would probably be a bitch.

17. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

the sheer beauty and functionality of quality chassis engineering. I always have held Miller, then Kurtis Kraft at the top of my list, but this aint bad. Any more pictures?

18. hambone

hambone

19. Those are some very slick set-ups, I have been thinking about torsion bars too. Lil John used them on a bunch of things I think he used them on the T-bucket that he just built. And Steve Moal has a nice tube chassis that uses them too.

I'd love to see a tech item on them.

20. brandon

brandon

is the guys name david wilder...? the sedan looked pretty bitchin in the post....brandon :D

21. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

That's "Steve Panarites" - the Greek. He operates in what was the original Lee Osborn shop in Jamestown, IN. (I believe Dave Wilder might be the guy next door in what was Osborn's second shop). In any event, the torsion bar installations pioneered by Lee and continued by Steve are as slick as it gets-they are almost invisible. Steve's number is 765-676-5081

22. hambone

hambone

here are some pics of one of steve the greeks torsion bar setups

Attached Files:

23. What a clean setup. With a little less drop in the axle, the arms connecting it to the bars would be even more hidden, now that would be really clean...

24. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Please, any more pics of the white tub? I luuuuuuv that car.

25. brandon

brandon

i keep picturing the white tub with 18" 12 spokes and 16x10 deep barrel first style 5 spokes.....like on the greer black and purdomme (sp) dragster.....love that car...brandon:D

26. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

GAWD, that'd be cool!

27. brandon

brandon

same setup on 32 style truck.....figure its probably a osborn or greek setup....charlotte 02 or 3......brandon:D

Attached Files:

28. hambone

hambone

The 18 Inch Spindle Mounts Are At The Polisher As Soon As They Get Home Ill Get Pics Up They Are For The Sedan. I Tried To Get Him To Go For 16 In Ets But Hes Already Got The Americans. It Will Be Bad Azz If It Ever Gets Finished.
    Dave Is Going To Bring The Tub To The Cinematic

29. hambone

hambone

30. Aer these Halibrand wheels you are describing? Got any photos?