Register now to get rid of these ads!

cd/radio install...what did you guys do?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 54BOMB, May 16, 2007.

1. 54BOMB

54BOMB

Ive got a 64 Galaxie and Ive been thinking of putting a cd player and speakers in it, nothing fancy ( although Ive been tempted to put some 15"s in the trunk just for old times sake ) I dont want to cut up the dash or door panels, what have you guys done thats looked cool and hasnt been inviting to thieves? Thanks

2. Gas Huffer

Gas Huffer

My dash is shaved, no radio (or nearly anything else). I love the sound of the motor cruising down the road. When I was younger I thried the radio thing in the truck, but couldn't hear shit unless I turned it way up.

I guess if you still wanted one, dynamat the shit out of you car's interior, run the head unit in the glovebox, and put the speakers under the seat or try to tuck them up in the kickpanels as much as possible.

3. 54BOMB

54BOMB

Ive had the deck and speakers still new in the box for a year or so cause the last car I had was too loud and missing too much interior to have a stereo so I never put it in. This car is quiet and has full interior so I thought since I already have it I might as well use it. Just looking for ideas on the install.

4. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Try the search function, we've covered this LOTS before and it's always good info to revisit.
    Bonus points to you for not cutting up your car! Thats good stuff there!

I'm using an amp, basic speakers etc in the 50 Burb, no head unit. I'll have a small plug under the dash for the XM receiver, MP3 player, etc...
    CD's are all but dead, local radio (in Tucson) sucks, and I see no reason to buy a head unit.

5. Now that sounds like a good plan. I'm glad you posted that idea before I wasted a few hundred $$$ on a head unit just to plug my iPod into.

6. chromedRAT

chromedRAT

a buddy of mine hid his stereo behind his ash tray in his 63 fairlane... found another tray to use, cut the tray off of it and used about an inch of its rail so it would stay in the dash. remove it to change CDs, and if it is cracked an eighth of an inch, the remote will hit the eye on the head unit and will change tracks and volume. pretty slick set up.

7. COS

COS
    from KCMO

I have a cheap POS headunit in the glove box that has a input on it for my MP3 player..I ran the wire under the carpet under the front seat and out the crack in the seat so the MP3 player sits in my lap....

-COS

8. RF

RF

As 50Sub mentioned, the easiest method is w/o a head unit. You can run any music device that has a headphone jack by using a converter cable with RCAs to connect with the amp. All functions will be through that device, but you can adjust output levels through the amp as well.

9. lgh1157

lgh1157

54 - in my 64 i pulled the speaker grill on the dash and simply dropped in a 6x9 speaker, i put the stereo in the glove box

10. There is a guy in long beach who will set up a stock radio with am/fm and have a connection for mp3 player. I think his shop name is hotrod electrical in long beach ca. I do remember his name is Jeff

11. 54BOMB

54BOMB

Its funny that I feel outdated on a traditional hotrod site haha, but I think Im going to stick with the head unit for now, part of it is cause my ipod sucks, it only works for about 30 mins then dies and needs a rechage and buying a new ipod would defete the "free" aspect of this install. They are good suggestions none-the-less.