Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hootenany 2007

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by creepyjackalope, May 10, 2007.

1. creepyjackalope

creepyjackalope

Anyone around here going? The wife bought me tickets for Fathers day. I am stoked! The main reason I am going is to see Social Distortion, Supersuckers, Throw Rag and Roger Miret..... how many cars show up? Anyone got any tips besides SPF99.9?

2. hellbound gasser

hellbound gasser

Be prepared. If you are bringing a car, ,get there early (i usually get there around 5:00 am) and ask to park in the shade once you get in. Bring lots of water and hide it. They do inspections to make sure you dont bring any outside food or beverage. two years ago they dumped everyones everything (including water) last year they just kind of glanced in the cars and kept moving. bring lots of money. food inside is super expensive (i think it was 8 bucks for a hot dog, but the little chinese food place you can have almost a full meal for 6 bucks). if you can park your car in such a way to make it easy to leave, there has been fights every year and roving gangs (50+ people strong) and i have left early. I always leave a little early anyway so i dont have to deal with the traffic....one two lane road in, one two lane road out.

despite all that i always have a good time!

3. creepyjackalope

creepyjackalope

We are flying down for a quick trip so we will be in a rental car. With that in mind....what time should we arrive? What time should we expect the last shows to be done?

I appreciate the heads up. Thanks

4. hellbound gasser

hellbound gasser

Usually they dont let people in until noon and there is a big line to get in. check the lineup...if there are bands you want to see, then get there early, if you can wait till a little later in the day, do it. There are a lot of cars but this is more concert than car show. pm me, let me know where you are staying and i can give you some reference on where to eat and stuff before and after the show.

5. OLLIN

OLLIN

6. asher

asher

The hoot the past 4 or so years hasn't been worth going to in my opinion. Its always way to hot and filled with ass holes looking for a fight or a reason to fuck up some ones car. Last year some guy got stabbed at the hoot. As hellbound gasser pointed out there are gangs going this show now and there not there for anything but a fight.

7. asher

asher

This is the exact reason why I haven't been since 2000 to a hoot. No mater who you are, when you go there expect to get into a fight.

8. Cant we all get along and pretend it's 1995 again? Kidding of course. Anyone else here go to the first...say....two shows? Back when "Hot Rod" put on the car show...those were fun times

9. Reverend_Grimm13

Reverend_Grimm13
    BANNED
    from Yucaipa

That bullsh*t took place last year...Sad thing is I know a few and they seemed like good guys until that shit..Killed my Hootenanny experience for good...Not worht paying the price of the tickets,food,drinks,and whatever else just to have to worry about some dumbass kids fighting...

10. 53burb

53burb

typical. Cannot go one on one and it ends up being like 12 on 1. That is why I like the old days when I played Ice hockey. Ya went at it 1on1 and beat the crap out of each other for a good solid minute and after the game, ya bought each other a beer. It was and still is part of the game. But as in concerts and cars shows, un-called for. Never been to the 'hoot and never will. I hope it close' it's doors. It would be a good thing from what I hear. KNUX!

11. OLLIN

OLLIN

yeah, exactly..
    I remember seeing chuck berry, big sandy, the paladins, russell scott etc. and getting all excited about seeing the cars at the show and waking up early to park inside..sure there were fights here and there but nothing like that video, that was like an all out brawl. Maybe because it was less crowded and more "underground" back then. I think I stopped going when I saw that It was advertised and sponsored by KROQ.. figured it was all downhill from there.

12. Chris Casny

Chris Casny

Thats amateur fighting. Blessing of the cars had the same shit happen.
    Just don't get involved.

13. 53burb

53burb

I remember the US festival and Cal Jam.......opps! Now I am dating myself. Ozzfest was great to be at '95-'96 and got to see Pantera (R.I.P. DIME) and NO fights.I guess everyone was stoned!!!!!!!!! KNUX!

14. OLLIN

OLLIN

Yeah, I remember that stupid fight too. We were parked a little ways up the hill and I saw that fight moving towards my buddy carlos' car so I ran down to make sure he was ok, and to kieep them away from the cars. I remember thinking that none of them by themself was a good fighter, but when you add up 12 of them and flying bottles etc. A flying bottle bounced off his trunk, didn't brake but almost hit us.

15. Mr.Musico

Mr.Musico
    from SoCal

Booze + Heat + Attitudes + walk-a-billys with something to prove = a reason to stay home.

16. Exactly, its like anything out there. Becasue it was somewhat "underground" the people that went were there for the bands and the cars, not trend hoppers like you see everywhere today. Sure there was some of that but nothing, nothing like it is today. I highly advise everyone to watch Desperate Generation if you have not seen it yet.

17. creepyjackalope

creepyjackalope

Sweet. Looks like I will keep my arm around my wife and my eyes on the bands and cars. We are shelling out a bit of cash for this trip and I am going to do my best to keep the trip fun and low stress.

18. What sucks is there's some great music to be heard there if you're into that style...I think I had just as much fun watching Deke Dickerson and Big Sandy the same night at a small club as I did at the show (this was '04). Plus, I didn't have to watch the idiots kickin' the shit out of each other in the old circus rides.

Bryan

19. I went to the Hootenany several years ago ( I think it was the second one) and I didn't see any fights like that but I saw a wicked one on one on my way back to the car. One guy was leaving in his car and stopped to talk to a second guy who was obviously waiting for him. Second guy attacked first guy with a sock full of rocks while leaning in the window. First guy reached under the seat and came up with a cats paw pry bar. Fight continued out of the car where the second guy made a direct skull hit with the end of the cat paw. I'll never forget the sound! Second guy staggered off with bloody head and first guy drove away victorious. That part of the day sucked but it was my first time seeing Paladins and Southern Culture on the Skids, That part was worth the trip. Blasters too!

20. SanDiegoJoe

SanDiegoJoe

I'm with you Bob. Stay home and work on your shit.
    - Joe

21. i went to the second one.....overpriced food, drinks, way too hot and no lights. i wanted to see X but it got dark after 4 songs and then the show was over. only 2 booths for food, crappy mall asian puke or greasy yogurt ridden geros for $15. 1 place for soda or water but like 10 for beer. try to stay for the la roadster show (fathersday roadster show in pomona) good swaping.

22. KutThrtKustms

KutThrtKustms
    BANNED
    from SO.CAL.

When I used to go to the Hoot alls you had to worry about was the skinheads, and there wasnt too many of them around! Now its the Fucken CholoBilly gangs from LA that you have to watch out for! NO THANX! I sure and the hell wouldnt take a Hot Rod in the show, my ride isnt getting trashed by anyone but me! I'm really starting to question going to the big shows now, it seems there is always some roaming CholoBilly gangs running around, the Hoot, Viva, the Blessing....whats next...Paso? :eek:

23. Avg.Joe

Avg.Joe

I went the past few years and saw the same typical crap. I can deal with dodging the lame brawls but man they pick the wrong time of the year for that neck of the woods, well over 100 in the sun. The best part was while idleing in line to get out of the place the Reverend Horton Heat gave me a thumbs up as I was about to melt and drip out of my truck. Probably won't go again unless they pick a cooler spot.

24. fordv81931

fordv81931

paso is better !!

25. TKuhl

TKuhl
    from Pac NW

Yeah, my last show was the one with a KROQ booth too. I was pissed when people were booin chuck berry cuz social D was up next. Guy is 90 and up ontop of a piano doin his thing and dumbfucks are booin him. Oh, yeah, and i got a free ticket cuz Dodge paid me to wax their trucks during the show. What a sell out- a free ticket but also helping the corporate sponsorship f-up what used to be a good time.

26. kopis

kopis

Yeah, not worth the time and money!
    I have been a few times every other year or so, and last year became the worst experience for me in my opinion. Too hot, too expensive, too much Bull$hit!

27. save your money go to the fathers day roadster show at Pomona, a very good show with a lot of rare parts but high prices. it the following weekend.

28. Bishop Welding

Bishop Welding
    from USA

I've been to several Hootenany's.
    It was fun when it was fun. It's not fun anymore.
    Then it two fucking hours to get my hot rod out of there.
    I'm done with that disaster.

29. photofink

photofink

Well it looks like nobodys scaring you from going.
    Just remember that if you go later you will have to park very far away, last year they opened up the back part which was ok and a little closer but it changes all the time. Ive been going for many years and have never had any problems and as long as you dont have a chip on your shoulder or hang out with the wrong crowd you will be fine. If a fight breaks out just keep your distance and dont get involved (common sense). Eat a big breakfast and pre-drink/hydrate out in the parking lot to keep the vendors from stealing your money.