Register now to get rid of these ads!

RPU on the road

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mramc1, May 7, 2007.

1. mramc1

mramc1

It's legal and just in time for WNY roadster weather. Just need to fab a top for rain driving. I'll be at the Jalopy Showdown. I'm used to getting looks while driving my Studebaker, but this thing draws all kinds of attention.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Josh Quick

Richard D likes this.
  2. Harris

Harris

Looking good!

3. Those Lincoln rims don't look to bad on there..lol I'm not to far behind you with my project-t, was just thinking about a rain tarp too.
    Maybe I'll see ya out somewhere.

4. mramc1

mramc1

Thanks. All the rims are Mopar. The fronts are Cordoba or something and the rears are cop car wheels. I went aluminum on the front and whites on the rear to try and mimic a '60s vibe. I know my truck isn't super traditional, but it was all I could afford to do right now. After I save money to buy a house I will eventually go to more traditional wheels and an I-beam axle. I'm really enjoying driving it now as it is loud, fast, gets looks, and is halfway good on gas. Not bad for $4000 and being built in my kitchen.

Josh Quick

5. Those fronts look just like the ones I took off of a lincoln, here's a picture of them in the background.

[​IMG]

6. Count Scrapula

Count Scrapula
    from Mid TN

What's the front end?

7. mramc1

mramc1

The front end is a 1992 Jeep Comanche 2WD front axle. It's turned around backwards with all the spring pockets cut off. I then mounted it suicide style with a Posies spring and 4-bar mount. It's a little on the HD side, but looks different and works good. Cost of the axle complete with new brakes was $100 vs $1500 if I bought a new I-beam with disc brakes. Later I might switch to a more traditional I-beam when I get the funds or parts together to assemble one. Thanks for asking.

Josh Quick

8. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

That thing turned out pretty cool!!! It has a genuine "home-built" vibe without looking trashy...it shows that you put some thought into what you were doing and ended up with a killer RPU in the end!

Have fun racking up the miles !!! :) :cool:

Richard D likes this.
  9. I agree...glad you used a little restraint, and the parts available, to built a hot rod, the way a lot of guys who didn't end up in the magazines did it "back in the day", instead of skulls, iron crosses, and spiderwebs, and ended up with just another "rat rod".

10. looks good, keep truckin'