Register now to get rid of these ads!

So this maroon...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SlowandLow63, May 4, 2007.

1. Hey Benno, I'll pull that windshield for ya'. Hand me that brick...
    Yeah, a 'shit magnet'. That's what my '49 Plymouth was. Every stupid asshole in Ballard would come up to me and ask me if it was for sale.

If it was, wouldn't there be a sign on it?

The worst were the ones who'd open the car (cars with wing windows don't lock for shit) and leave a note inside. I really wanted to catch someone at that.

My favorite was the one where the "maroon" left a note (again, inside my car) saying he'd pay "six hudred dollars cash money" for it, along with his phone number.

I called his ass up and told him I'd be keeping his letter with the phone number, and if anything ever happened to the car, I'd hand the evidence over to the cops.

I guess it's the 'down side' to having an old car.

2. KIRK!

KIRK!

Here's one:

I live on a private street and you cannot see my house from the main road. I chose this house for it's relative seclusion because I'm not a big fan of humans. So, having a random person pull up in front of my house is not a common occurance. But on this day I look out my front window and see this older guy do just that. He walks up to the door and knocks. I roll my eyes because now I have to waste my time directing this guy to wherever he really wants to be going.

I open the door and he asks if my '60 Starliner in the driveway is for sale. I politely say no and start to close the door. He verbally sticks his foot in the door by asking more questions about the car. I step out of the door to walk and talk him back to his mini van so he'll go away. He stops halfway to continue to ask about the car. He now tells me that he has been looking for one for years because his 50th wedding anniversary is coming up (in 2010) and he wants to give hive wife one as a gift. He lays on the sob story about how much he loves her and plays like he knows nothing about the cars. So, I get suckered in and start to try to be helpful. I hate when I make that mistake.

I tell him what I do and that I see tons of cars for sale across the country and that I could keep my eyes open for him. When I start to offer advice about what to look for he starts to sort of debate with me. As the conversation continues, he starts to reveal little bits of knowledge about Galaxies and '60 Starliners in particular. I get a little suspicious, but don't give it much thought. Then he reveals that he already has a '60, but would like a nicer one and offers to trade his crappy one with a 6 and a four-speed. OK, now I'm getting even more leary of this fucker.

He asks many times during the conversation about buying my car. He is met with the same answer each time until I start to get pissed and give him a crazy price. Then he gets all offended and tells me that the car isn't worth that much, spewing facts and figures out at me. So now I basically blow this dick off completely.

A week or so later I'm in the garage working on the DeSorta and he pulls up again. I walk to the end of the driveway to keep him from getting out of his van and latching on to me again. He says he was in the neighborhood and thought he'd stop by. Gee, thanks asshole.

Well, in the time between meetings, this guy bought a '61 wagon from a friend of mine and Jewed him down big time. He revealed to my buddy that he had like 6 or 8 Galaxies, including 2 '60 Starliners. As he starts to ask about the car again in his "I don't know nothin' about Galaxies" demeanor, I interrupt to blast him with my knowledge of his collection. He still tries to play himself off as the innocent guy naively looking for a '60 Starliner for his wife. I all but scream BULLSHIT and blow him off again.

So fast forward about 6 or 8 weeks. I take the Starliner in for the tranny work it needed. As the owner of the tranny shop and I are talking about my car, he asks if I know so and so. I say that the name sounds familiar. Then he says that this guy is the local Galaxie collector/guru. "Oh yeah, I know that fucker" I said. "He tried to pretend he knew nothing about Galaxies and tried to weasel my Starliner out of me." The tranny guy laughs and says "Yep, that's him."

So now I've been hoping that this fuck comes back by.

3. 72sst

72sst

Sounds like another con artist.Seems as if you are dodging bullets whenever you meet someone doesnt it.

4. 1931S/X

1931S/X
    from nj

hey sometimes you have to try. maybe he thought one day you might fix the car up and eliminate the trim, or maybe he actually thought you had some spare parts. i have seen one around that has mismatched trim on it and is probably the guy. i think it had 62 and 63 trim. i find it hard to believe no one here has ever done such a stupid thing.

5. 72sst

72sst

You here stories of people who go up to the farmhouse asking if an old car is for sale all the time ,even on this forum so its common.I think weve all done it at one time or another

6. Bazooka

Bazooka

My dad walked away with a rust free all original 61 Catalina 2 dr. for 500 bucks cash by stopping and asking if it was for sale. They named there price and he paid. The motor was no good but 500 bucks? You cant complain... Was a hell of a buy.. Also had the oppertunity to buy a 65 Skylark for 300 bucks that hadnt been driven in 15 years or so. It belonged to a relative of theres that got sick and passed away. Ran when it was parked. I was a young teenager and something came up and I couldnt get it....Damn!

7. BIG difference between asking about a car sitting at a farmhouse and asking to buy trim off a guy's driver :rolleyes:

What would you say if I asked to buy, say, one wheel off your car cause I have a set of 3 just like it :confused: ;)

8. 72sst

72sst

Depends on what youd pay for the wheel

9. Thresher

Thresher
    from Austin, TX

I am sad to say I know what a MAROON is. I went to Austin High and this is their mascot: [​IMG]
    It used to be a weiner dog, but some dumbass decided to use this fluff ball and call it a "maroon". So, we were the Austin High Maroons. The other schools had a field day with it.

10. wvenfield

wvenfield

Yep, it's also different to politely ask if a car might be bought and just as politely walking away when they say no with a "thank you, sorry for taking up your time".

11. kenseth17

kenseth17

I've haven't got anything special, but still get this. A guy at work keeps trying to get me to sell him the tailgate off of one of my trucks, and I say when I get around to working on it, I wouldn't have a tailgate. Its not like couldn't get one from a junkyard or buy a new one. But I am surprised how many times someone has wanted to buy my 87 bonneville. I think 3 different people have stopped wanting to buy it (scrap prices must be good) or buy some parts off of it. One guy I told I wasn't selling anything and kept asking about buying a rim. I locked the one I had off in the trunk and now have it inside the garage. The engine was rebuilt awhile back and the body is in fair shape, cause did a half arsed job fixing that awhile back as well, but lots of other mechanical issues. If If it takes too much work to get running again, then I'll probably part and scrap it, but selling a random part or selling cheap for scrap for someone to turn around and make more money on doesn't interest me.
    I did have a car vandalized and parts and rims stolen off a car I had sitting out at my grandmas years ago. Police are of little help and pretty much don't spend time on something like that. Still didn't stop me from driving regularily around the area, looking if I could spot the stuff taken. Probably lucky didn't find them, cause I would have thought about killing them. I sold the car after that cheap. Somebody stopped and left name and number with my grandma. Who knows, could have been the same bastards that stole the parts, but you would be stupid to vandalize if that was the intentions.
    There is a nova thats been sitting covered under a carport out near my grandmas for many years and hasn't moved that I've been tempted to stop and ask about it, and I bet a lot on here keep an eye on the farm fields when driving by.

12. kenseth17

kenseth17

<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
    And being called the weiners would be so much better then being a gay fluffy ball. Boy I am glad grade school was the scorpians, and highschool were the red raiders, even if team colors looked kinda like maroon

13. HotRodChassis

HotRodChassis
    Alliance Vendor

Wow, no disrespect, but I can't believe you had to explain that.

14. HotRodChassis

HotRodChassis
    Alliance Vendor

My favorite is when a person is in the shop for the first time and asks, "wow, are all these your cars?" I've always wanted to say, "sure are, I'm a millionair and don't work for a living." :)

15. Mojo

Mojo

I stop and ask about cars sometimes. I don't like to be a bother about it, but i'd like to know one way or another. If you really, really don't want to sell your sitting car and don't want to be bothered, please put "not for sale" on it somewhere, so people like me won't interupt you during dinner.

16. Its not a bother to be asked, its a bother when guys like you don't have a good enough handle on the english language to understand that no means just that. It doesn't mean maybe if you got enough money and it definately doesn't have a damned thing to do with your mechanic takeing a look at it.

Well not you personaly so don't go cinderela on me.:eek:

BTW why should I need to put any sing on it at all, if it doesn't have a forsale sign on it then it should be implied that its not for sale.

I actually have done some pretty damned ignorant things in my life not proud of that fact but its true. Never the less I have never tried to buy a piece off of someones driver.

Kirk the Galaxie is a nice specimen my friend ( saw pics in another thread) I can't say I'm sorry you became aquainted with the prick; I think I've met him or at least a close relative more than once so I I'm with ya. I can say its damned crappy that you or any of us should have to put up with bastards like that.

17. Sutton

Sutton
    from BTR

18. Kustomz

Kustomz

I can't understand why people think I should put a sign on any of my vehicles stating "Not For Sale". If I really WANTED to sell it don't you think I would put a sign on it stating the fact? I don't get it having to go out of my way just so others don't come off looking stupid. Not my problem! It should be the other way around like the comedian said "HERE'S YOUR SIGN"!

19. Mojo

Mojo

I really don't understand that attitude. It's a safe bet that almost everyone here has bought a car that didn't have a "for sale" sign on it. A lot of people don't think about selling their car until they're asked. I don't want to go through the hassle of dealing with tire kickers and bullshitters enough to advertise my car for sale, but if someone came up to me and asked if it was for sale and was willing to pay what I wanted for it, i'd probably sell it.

What is so hard to understand about that kind of transaction? Seriously. If being asked if your car is for sale puts your panties in such a bunch like that, then save your own self some grief and be proactive about it, and mark your pile "not for sale".

20. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I guess all of the 30 or 40 old cars I've had must be undesireable pieces of shit. I don't recall but once or twice having someone knock on my door and ask if my car was for sale... funny thing is , one of them is the one car that will never be for sale. all the others were for sale, maybe not exactly at that time, but I could have been persueded with a little $$$$.

sold my 69 GTO judge in 1983 for $900.00 to a door knocker. there's a guy I should have shot. saw MY GTO at a swap last year for $12,000.00 and it was all beat to hell and needed total restoration. I really liked that car and prolly would have kept it for a long time if not still own it now.. oh well.

21. knotheads

knotheads

i have bought quite a few old cars just by knocking and asking...the flip side is that if they say no,i apologize for taking up their time and leave. i have been on the other end in these situations too....i have a 64 nova wagon that i bought to do a two door conversion on....its one of those "one of these days projects"..it sat in my driveway for about 14 years without so much as rolling an inch . and i bet that i have been asked at least twice a year every year if that old nova is for sale,most of the money offers have been very tempting ..but i always have the same answer ...nope and boy does that upset my wife!!

22. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

I don't mind being asked if my cars are for sale because they always are. Hell, everything I own is, for the right price. But I have never, and never will ask to buy parts off someone's daily. If I see somehting significant on it I may ask if he has some info or even an extra. For instance, my buddy has a 57 Ford Custom 300. Been lookin for the drivers side door trim. He has a piece but its dinged. So if I happen to see a Custom 300 at a show I'll ask about the piece. Itsnt a rare piece, but ts significant to 57 and is different from a Fairlane, so maybe this guy can help. No problem there.

23. Mojo

Mojo

That was pretty crazy, almost sounds like the dude had some mental problems or something. A car that is obviously sitting, or is apart, sure, but one that is being driven, is pretty nuts. I too usually ask people if they have any extra parts around that i'm looking for, had people ask me too, but not off of a driving car.

24. Bazooka

Bazooka

Yeah, That is pretty stupid to ask if parts are for sale from a complete or running vehical. I have knocked on a few doors in my life asking about cars sitting in the yard or side of the house and when they say "not for sale" I thank them and apologize for bothering them and leave. I never go back unless they say come back and let them think about it...

25. Hey Bill.Satanherself says she has five 57's for parts.PM her maybe she can help you out on this.She's checking on some for mine now.

26. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

Cool man, that 57 stuff was for a buddy of mine 57joefomopar, but I'll pass it along, thanks.

27. The Anarkist

The Anarkist
    from Canada

No wonder I hate people in general.

28. Turbo442

Turbo442

Once upon a time while my Dad was at work with my Fairlane some idiot pulled both taillights took them inside and asked "how much?"
    Pops almost laid him out right there.:eek:

29. Jimv

Jimv

Maroon as in "why you Maroon, remind me to murder you later, Nyuk, nyuk"
    JimV

30. gasRus

gasRus

" For sale ??? Yep, but you won't pay what I want ", "MN Swedes or Nwegians are too cheap, Gotta pry a buck outs their hands w a crow bar" usually takes care of it and gets a laugh from everyone there, But I am a lonely kinda a guy and like it when anyone stops by, I just like saying NO.:D That is on cars at my house , At the shop is another story completely, EVERYTHING is for sale at my price, ask and I'll come back w a price. don't like or can't afford it?- walk away, I've chased people who want to sit and argue off to their cars with a "ok, its time for me to get back to work", while playing with a tire iron :rolleyes:. My car ,My price. :D I am actually beginning to understand those old coots w shotguns at the gate when you drive up. A sign w NOT 4 SALE ??? dumbest shit I ever heard. if theres not a for sale sign then its NOT. - unless you ask- NICELY and leave the same way, stop back from time to time ask if it for sale and leave ,stop by again and again over LONG periods between visits and BE NICE, act interested in other things you notice going on around there music ,gardening ,religion etc. ,eventually you get "IN" w them, I got a 33 Dodge PU from one old couple and into a private Jyard that NO ONE could get into for years this way.
    One more thing on a edit, those guys who sit and argue or run the car down?? has worked in MY favor on occasion ,the people in question eventually get sick of smart mouths or hustler's stopping by and call me to come and get it IF I'll make a reasonable offer ,which of course is less than I originally offered, but not a ripoff offer either :D
    Please forgive the Maroon misspellings or bad grammer, I am a mechanic not a sissy secretary ;D