Register now to get rid of these ads!

8 for show 4 for GO! May monthly banger meeting

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SUHRsc, May 1, 2007.

1. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

this is my first time starting one of these...
    just excited to finally have my car where i want it!
    i got all the cosmetic regressions done that i want for now and it runs good too finaklly
    we got our "FLYERS" club plaques also
    so i changed the back around (still some extra holes from the past)
    made a license plate for in the grill with the same numbers as Bill Farren had 62 P 953
    and messed with the headlight placement also up front
    put a smithy muffler on it for now and it sounds alot better then the tractor one i had on but still not what i want
    it'll do though

anyways heres some pics and a couple from 1941 that everyones seen before i guess

hope everyone is running strong and burning rubber!
    Zach

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    1941 Bill Farren
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. metalhotrodgirl

metalhotrodgirl

3. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

That Is One Amazing Car. Very Nice Man. Looks Straight Out Of 1945!!

4. kornbinder

kornbinder
    from Sonora, CA

Oh... I'm liking it. Nice!!

5. Looking good Zach.

The proportions have really been improved.

New tyres?

6. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

That has got be one of the bitchinist early roadster ever. Well done Zach.

7. so cool, I love that roadster... one of my favorite cars on the Hamb..

8. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

as an aside add "monthly banger" meeting in the title for consitent easy searching for previous months.

very good looking roadster!

9. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

thanks everyone
    i changed the title...i think?

clark,
    yes, i went with Columbia Deluxe 6.00x16's on the front...they had an old looking tread that he told me came out in 1935 and are a tad thinner then the firestones but the same height
    they're from Lucas Tires....only $89 each!

also added 3 more leaves to the rear....has 13 in there now and that's all that'll fit the U-bolts...dawg on Z in the frame needs removed to get the back up to where i can put an 'A' axle on the front

10. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

i did this last weekend:

[​IMG]

had a blast running around, but it ended up popping the head gasket (which is to be investigated as to why)...of course this means I have to put on that higher compresions head that I have laying around. Which also means I may build that set of headers that I have been meaning to get built too...

11. I thought I would have nothing to say this month after the engine build but as always the fun never stops!

Driving around I felt a loss of power. A quick check and I found the Mag was loose in the head. I went to tighten the locking bolt and it just span and span. The thread in head had stripped out.
    This was the fix to get home....It didn't work very well!

[​IMG]

I drilled out the hole and re-tapped it bigger. It still kept coming loose but as I tried to tighten it more I could feel it pulling the thread out again.

The solution was to fiind the old magneto bracket that had been discarded in the junk draw and amazing it fitted perfect.
    All the bolt in the head does now is stop the bracket from turning and the bracket clamps around the magneto body.

[​IMG]

Next fault was with the new starter yet again. Out and about I went to start it and the starter locked solid. Pulled the starter out and expected to see an exploded bendix. Bendix was fine but the starter was locked solid still. I didn't want to strip the starter down in the street so I started pushing and managed to jump start it on my own!

At home the starter was stripped and I found this...

[​IMG]

One of the windings had come adrift and eventually enough wire had come out to jam the starter.

Sunday night I came back from a successful 600 mile round trip to the Scrapers SINS show in Belgium!

Somewhere in Belgium...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Set-up day.

[​IMG]

Some pictures of a German Banger powered roadster. He was running a G28T engine including its aluminium sump!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also met Eddy and Filip the only two banger guys in the whole of Belgium! Eddy had his coupe in the show and Filips car was on posters being used to promote a rockabily weekender.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. The37Kid

The37Kid

The rebuilt wheels for my 1925 Henderson 4 motorcycle powered Midget arrived last week. I should start a post on the car, maybe someone can shed some light on its history. Neat little car very nicely built around Model T Ford and Henderson parts. The hubs are modified Model T Ford wood wheel units that were originally laced to 12 inch WWI aircraft rims. No 12 inch clincher rim tires exist today, so I had to have new drop center rims adapted to the T hubs. Buchanan's Spoke & Rim did a great job dimpling, drilling & lacing the wheels. NoboD did some corrective machining on the hubs before they went out West. Coker Firestone tires will go on once they get a coat of orange paint.

Attached Files:

13. Levis Classic

Levis Classic

WOW Zach...great pictures

14. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

Great snaps, Zach. Superb car, too. And yours, Fur B. That looks a lot of fun.

Finally got mine back on the road too, though I've now had to pull the sump again. I had a bad rear main leak last year, so pulled it all apart to check it out. Whilst sorting that I fitted a one piece neoprene front seal to match the rear. Well, the rear has improved greatly but the front seal is shit. Oil was gushing passed it like the Amoco Cadiz, so I've had to pull it the pan off and I'm going to go back to the two piece rope seal. It can't be any worse.

A report and pics on the Volvo 4-speed conversion to come...

15. davesville

davesville

looking forward to the report on the volvo tranny

16. This 4 cylinder tractor is at the local dump, it has no visible casting marks. It looks like it maybe built with Automotive parts. The motor is OHC and has roller tappets, can anyone Id it?

No progress to report on the '25 Chev roadster.

Attached Files:

17. Bookz

Bookz

Firstly Zach that roadster of yours is everything a traditional rod should be. Everything about it just yells "You'd better take me seriously".
    The main reason for this post is to enquire about honourary membership of the banger club. Whilst all you guys seem to have grossly overpowered motors with far more cylinders than neccesary I thought you may take pity on a true banger. My current banger is a 1946 Bradford (at this point all Poms in the room start weeping with laughter) special. I will descibe it carefully and leave it to the eligability committee to see if they can find it in their hearts to find a little corner for us to lurk in.

Bradfords were a light van built by the English Company Jowett. Full specification is as follows
    1000cc 2 cylinder (both ashmatic) horizontally opposed engine (a true flat head)designed in the 20's and unchanged, 3 speed (all bloody useless) non synchro gearbox with a home made outside gearshift that overcomes the problem of useless ratios nicely in that it's bloody near impossible to find them so your grateful for anything you do find. Radiator is of undetermined early 30's English origin, homemade alloy bonnett (hood), original cowl with homemade aero screens, flat plywood floor running from the cowl to the rear upon which is mounted very basic alloy bodywork surrounding a 70's bench seat behind which is mounted a 12 gallon drum as fuel tank and to finish of the rear there it has twin mounted spares. The exhaust exits through the side of the hood and runs along the side of the body and finishes off with a fishtail and emits a noise that makes a Model A sound like a modern smooth running engine. Suspension is leaf to all corners but may as well not exist, brakes are rod activated mechanical and can be relied on to stop you within a mile of the accident.
    This truely is a car (useing the word car loosely) that one cannot take oneself too seriously in. As you bang your way along mothers cover their childrens eyes, dogs run away cowering and other motorists run off the road pissing themselves. I would post photos but am computer illiterate but can email them to someone if it will help my application.
    I await your decision expectantly.

18. The37Kid

The37Kid

Jimmy B, Save that motor if you can! My guess is that it is a boat engine based on that angled top.

19. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

good looking set of wheels! so any cool banger finds recently...I know you found something :D

20. Bit quiet this month.

Most be more out there than this...

21. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

On the literary front, I turned up a German Model A parts catalog, in case anyone needs their parts tranlated into reallylong high density words, and a genuine G28T and V8 German shop manual.

22. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

heres a bit of an update since things are slow

i was feeling brave yesterday so i shoe polished my car
    didnt turn out tooo bad i guess?
    i'll have to redo it more accurately eventually....this was a test to see how the shoe "paste" worked....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

23. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

Okay, the Volvo trans swap update. Yup...it works a treat. Phew! Eight months work not down the pan.
    As a reminder, here's what I have. A Volvo M40 trans from a '66 Amazon I used to own. The trans is small, fairly light and has four nice ratios. In fact, 1st and 2nd are almost the same as an A, 3rd is 1.33-1, followed by top. So in effect, a gear has been added between 2nd and top compared to a stocker.
    Here's how it looked when adapted to a AA bellhousing just before fitment....
    [​IMG]
    Converting to open drive meant adding a tubular x-member and fitting rod ends to the original 'bones. i strengthened them by first welding up the seam and then splitting a piece of 25mm OD, 4mm thick steel tube down the length to create a 'C' section, and then welding it along the length of the wishbone. They are very sturdy now compared to stock. I also added a torque arm to prevent any axle tramp, due to losing the torque tube in favour of a prop. As you can see, I retained the spilt, two-piece shaft that the Volvo origingally used.
    [​IMG]
    From the rear...
    [​IMG]
    The axle was converted to open drive using the kit from the Hot Rod Works. Just one word for this kit....QUALITY. I've seen the posts where guys make their own and fair play to them, but this kit is the dog's bollocks. It is totally worth the money and saves hours and hours of fannying around trying to fab your own stuff. I'm full of praise for it, as is everyone around here that has seen it.
    [​IMG]
    You can also see the rear mount for the torque arm in the above shot.
    With the floor pan in, the shifter comes up just a few inches further back than stock, though the handbrake needed a new mount fabbing up and so I took the opportunity to move it a little further back.
    [​IMG]

First slipping it into gear after the first fire up was quite nerve-wracking, but the car trundled out of the garage without a problem. After a quick check for oil leaks - and finding a couple - I gave it a slow drive up the road and back. No problems at all, but something didn't sound right. After a few minutes I realised that I couldn't hear the usual Model A whine that you normally get with a stock trans and it's straight cut gears, though that noise has now been replaced by an even louder whine from my straight cut timing gears...Doh!
    On the road, the A feels like a totally different vehicle. Far faster between the gears, much smoother and it feels great to be able to downshift when slowing down without having to dance all over the pedals.
    In all, totally worth all the effort. Just need to sort out a front seal leak and get some miles on it.

24. 4 2 GO

4 2 GO

I'm using the one piece aluminum front seal from Mac's on my B motor, doesn't leak a drop. Part A6700M. Check your front pulley for a groove worn on the seal surface.

http://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb.dll?parta~partsort

25. wooohooo, another banger meet.

I pulled my banger last week and pulled off the stock head to find the inside very nice. Looks like a recent rebuild. 4" bore, but the pistons are sticking out of the block. No worries, I guess im stuck w/ the 5.9 compression head.

Valves popped out nicely, cleaned them up and waiting for adj. lifters so I can put my "B" cam in and button it up.

I hope to be a "trusty" banger guy after this build. I have learned alot...and may not turn back :)

Anyone know of a place that sells banger lakes header?...or what would you suggest for exhaust?

26. Hey Bookz! When I was a kid in the late 50s, early 60s, a neighbour had a Bradford van. It was all wood, I seem to remember even the chassis was wooden. Your descriptions and my memory seem to match up perfectly! LOL! Where in kiwiville are ya?

27. The Wrong-Un

The Wrong-Un

Nothing to report from me apart from a leaking radiator being fixed. Probably put around 4-500 miles on it in the past month with no problems at all, apart from the aforementioned leak that is!

I really should get round to making a manifold for my big Winfield carb so I have something to report for next month!

28. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

Yep...you've had that carb in a box long enough, Neil. Get it sorted!

29. Bookz

Bookz

The only thing your memory has got wrong was the chassis is actually steel but flexs enough to act as the suspension! I'm in Christchurch and have a motoring bookshop down here.

30. The Wrong-Un

The Wrong-Un

Oh it's out of the box, I had to take it out to put it on the shelf!