Register now to get rid of these ads!

Whats really wrong with 4 doors?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by asher, May 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. asher

asher

I read these boards and talk to people at shows. There seams to be this stigma with four doors that they are not as "cool" as two doors. Then you get people cutting up there four doors to make there car a two door and that's just plane lame in my opinion. I don't get the hate for four doors. The way I look at it four doors are just as good as two doors. I wouldn't mind getting a four door. There are some definite advantages to having a four door. There is more room for your friends and family. They are cheaper. Over all there is just more car to love. I have a two door car myself. But I love the four door version of my car just as much as my current two door.

What do you all think about this four door hating?

Gary Reynolds and Arabie777 like this.
  2. Relic Stew

Relic Stew
    from Wisconsin

That's why they aren't as cool.

3. gahi

gahi
    from Moab, UT

on alot of models, they just look sportier in a two door. But I agree, nothing wrong with 4 doors.

4. bigolds

bigolds

Nuttin's wrong with four doors....My first custom was a many door. Slammed with wires, skirts, shaved, nosed, decked...painted dark brown with tinted windows. ALL MY FRIENDS TOLD ME IT LOOKED LIKE A ROLLIN' TURD. Hell, I liked it only paid a C note for it in 1979!!!!

5. Yeah, I don't mind 4 doors either, but certain cars look better in the more-door version than others. I'd love to have a chopped deuce fordor, those look really cool.

the moral of this story and many,many other threads is build what you want and don't worry about what others think.

6. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

Nothing wrong with a four door..., But it ain't no two door.

Ever look at a Nomad wagon next to a 4 door wagon? Or a Chevy II coupe next to a sedan?

The lines were designed on a 2 door and then they adjusted to make a car for the 4 door market. Something was just lost in translation.

Sometimes a four door looks great, like a '62 Lincoln Presidential.

7. egg man

egg man
    from IN.

My not done,

Attached Files:

8. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

i've had a 4 dr wagon for 28 yrs now but i rather have a 2 door. they just look better

9. Nothing wrong with moredoors...

Attached Files:

10. DirtyThirty

DirtyThirty
    from nowhere...

that is really the thing...some cars look great as four doors...its just that no matter how nice it looks, an equivalent two door will look better...except that lincoln...they were meant ta' be like that!

11. squigy

squigy
    from SO.FLO.

i like all doors...

12. HotRodFreak

HotRodFreak

Four doors are more socially acceptable now as more people want older cars, but fewer two doors are available.
    It is the hate mongers who I have no respect for.
    What is so difficult about accepting and respecting others who can't or don't have a car that doesn't suit your taste.
    Should we all strive to have rodmobiles that look alike to please those shallow narrow minds?

13. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

is it just me,,,,or is this PLAYED OUT debate about whether 4 doors are cool or not getting OLD??????????

WTF,,,,,how many different ways can the SAME question be asked????
    and more important,,,,,,WHY must it be asked every couple of days????

14. mikes51

mikes51

That also meant there was more emphasis on ergonomics than styling. You had to think about grandpa and grandma and how hard it was for them to get in and out of the car. Four doors were much better for them. You wouldn't want to have them squeeze in between the front seat and a quarter panel to get in the back.

Designers raised the rear of the roof for easy entry through the back door. That is one reason some 2 door cars have sleeker lines than some 4 doors.

15. knotheads

knotheads

i have a 4 door nova wagon and i have seen a few nova wagons that are outstanding but being 6 ft 4 and on the far side of 250 lbs those short front doors just dont make for easy entrance and exit. from the day i bought it i intended to cut the center post out, add the sedan 2 door doors and graft a section of quarter panel to make it a 2 door wagon ...after a 22 year time out its next up on my project list !

16. LUX BLUE

LUX BLUE
    Alliance Vendor
    from AUSTIN,TX

4 doors can be cool...trust me, I have recently built 3 that come to mind...but they gotta be more of a Custom than a hot rod. it's that simple.

a 4 door hardtop 58 Impala...cool. those giant window openings are just bitchin (as a friend calls it "the full on ak-47 spread out drive by and get the neighbors too" window. ha!)

however. a 4 door attempt at a fast car is still a 4 door. damn thing can run high 9's, and it's still a 4 door.

17. Anderson

Anderson

nothing can convince me that a 4 door is anywhere near as cool as a 2 door. They made the seats on 2-doors lean foward for rear seat access, thats good enough for me.

4 doors are grandma cars.

18. KCsledz

KCsledz

I know that your new but you should know that there is a search function. Why start a thread that you already know the answer to? Rediculous!

Start looking at the cars. Really looking at them! 2 doors can look like shit just like a 4 door when done wrong. A 4 door on the other hand can look pretty damn RAD if done right just like a 2 door.

What happened to the smart questions?

19. Thank you. Listen folks if you feel a 4 door is cool then build it. If you feel 3 doors are cool, then build it. It doesn't matter what people think is cool or looks good as long as YOU think it is cool or looks good. Screw everyone else. Some of the cars built in the late 50's/early 60's were obviously built based on the owners concept of cool...regardless if it is a 2 or 4 door.
    If you can stand in your driveway all night staring at your car, then your good regardless of how many doors you have.

20. snap too

snap too
    from lost wages

OK, I'll fess up ! I owned a '55 Chebby "taxi cab " as my friends referred to it . Didn't like anything about it either at first, but a swap from a worn out 235 and 3 speed to a mildly built 283 and later a Muncie did make a good sleeper! As this ol' girl was fairly dependable and didn't get much attention from the Fuzz , my hoodlum pals and I used it for more than one safari to the March Meet back in the 60's .

21. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

You hit the nail on the head. I couldn't have said it better myself.

22. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

Basically there's nothing wrong with a fordoor- AS LONG AS YOU ARE A 50's SOCCER MOM! At least step up to a chrysler minivan with stowaway seats fer chrissake! There aint a fordoor out there that looked as good as the corresponding tudor . Wouldnt you rather have a station wagon instead of a fordoor? At least they have some style....
    I've yet to see an article entitled " How to change a two door into a fourdoor"

23. 34Chrysler

34Chrysler

Hot rodding is all about modifying cars and that includes cutting them up. I don't see it being lame at all. just my .02

24. flathead48

flathead48

Its just a personal preference. Back in the day nobody wanted to be caught dead drivin their old man's four grocery getter. These days old tin is getting harder and harder to find and people are settling for four door models.

25. wheelkid

wheelkid
    Alliance Vendor
    from Fresno, CA

Four doors are like fat chicks, If you don't see anything wrong with them, thats great. They're both cheaper/easier to get.

I've got a four door but would dump her if nice two door came along that I could pay for.

26. asher

asher

I signed up about 4 months after you did to this site so how does that make me new? I just never really posted before since there is a such a wealth of info on this site that all my questions were answered by searching the forums. That being said, I was just bring my two cents to the table about a issue i have noticed for years now. I do see a lot of 4 doors now on the road and at shows and I think its awesome. I feel there is nothing wrong with 4 doors. Its nice to have some good dialog with intelligent people not people who have to put others down because they feel this is a dead issue. Two people don't like this topic then don't post. Its nice to read all the reponses this thread is getting.

Just remembers 4 doors are like fat chicks they need loving too....

27. wvenfield

wvenfield

No, it isn't just you. I have a 4 door and still don't see any need for posts like this every week.

28. phat rat

phat rat

if you have to ask, you just don't get it

29. KCsledz

KCsledz

Sorry but you opend the can of worms! If you have been on here for that long than you would already have read countless other 4 door vs. 2 door posts. So the moot point really is have you read the HAMB lately!

I am not baggin you, 2 doors or 4 doors just the fact that there is a wealth of knowledge here if you know how to use the tools to find it. Spend 20 minutes with the search tool and see what it pulls up. All of the responses are the same just different people posting them. Find a car to ask specific Q's about instead of throwing out a general question that stirs the pot with no real end in sight.

Personally I own a 57 granny wagon. All stock. It is however slowly getting the work over to be a slick family frendly cruiser/custom. I prefer the look and functionality of it better than the Nomads. Probably because I like use the space available fron the front seats to the tail gate without crawling into the wagon.

It's all preference. I would like to build a second car that is a no frills straight 50's style 2 door hot rod.

30. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

SHIT... I'll never own one now. The constant cleaning of blood from the steering wheel, headrest, and floormats would be a dealbreaker.

Chili Phil, 1927Tudor and wex65 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.