Register now to get rid of these ads!

The End of Solvent Based Paint in Ca.?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by pimpin paint, Apr 28, 2007.

1. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

My minions in the paintin' business tell me that after June 2007 there
    will be no solvent based paint material sold in Southern California.
    Now, I could call the South Coast Air Quality Management office, and
    get the straight scoop, but I'm not big on goin to jail tonight! Does
    anyone know the real story, and does this remove One Shot from the market, as well? What about fine art oils and varnishes, driers?
    Does One Shot make a waterborne product? God, just the sound of
    that makes me wrech!!!

Is it so wrong to wanna see a tree huggers face on a milk carton?

Swankey Devils C.C.

2. David Totten

David Totten

Pimpin I have talked to my paint suppliers and it is still up in the air, it will only be Base Coat to start with anyway. The big problem that is holding this up is the manufactures cant match the millions of collors that are out there. It probably will eventually happen Glassiruit already has a system . And so does Spies Heckler but both of them have problems. The other problem for most of us is it will require heated booths. Glad I am near the end of my days in business lol.

3. 1-Shot doesn't have a water based product on the Market.

Deka made a water based sign paint,but I've never tried it.

4. Bondoboy

Bondoboy

Im sure it wont hit the "speciality" and hobby paint market for a while anyway, which would include one shot. They outlawed laquer here a long time ago, but you just order as a speciality coating and they send it right out to you!

5. Wild_47

Wild_47

In canada its happening too but Ive only heard for basecoats anyway. There is a water based paint called E-tac used for airbrushing and with the use of another one of thier products called Jell-E it thickens up the paint supposedly to make it stripeable. But for that you need a synthetic brush and as I dont have one I havent tried it yet. The switch to waterbased paint has been made in other countries and I heard about 70% of body shops closed their doors. Dont quote me on that its just what I heard.

6. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,
    I'm not sure 'bout "speciality/hobby" market here, in SoCal.....
    I can no longer purchase alkyd enamel in fives, I can get it in
    singles (gallons) and quarts, but not fives. "They" have already
    stopped the production/sale of real metal primers, and my deep
    based colour mixes are on a "as stock remains" basis, bastards!
    The lacquer thinner sold here is not ment for thinning paint, but
    for clean up, it's just as well 'cuz it's not worth the can it's sold in.
    I spoke with a gee-wizz Dupont Automotive Paint Group rep., at
    the Del Mar/Goodguys circus, but the best he could do was.......
    "they're workin' on an answer"
    I can remember when they first started with this waterborne crap
    in 1974 @ th General Motors Plant in Van Nyes Calif. They thought
    so much of it they used it on Vegas and Astras. It was crap then
    and it's crap now! Water is for fish not metal.

Swankey Devils C.C.

7. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

A painter I know here in Jersey said his shop was switching over to water based base coats for he sake of the environment and their own health. I can't say I look forward to water based, despite how it helps the environment we paint in. The thought of switching over makes me shiver.

8. I have always been told that the clear coats are the nasties and not the basecoat.

9. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

Clears are probably the worst, but basecoats are by no means safe. Paint a car red without a mask and guess which color your buggers will be for the next few days.

10. I'm so sick of all these stupid ass rules in California. Water based paints suck! I guess the auto painting industry will be the next industry to leave California, thanks to these geniuses in the government.:mad:

11. MyBootsOnFire

MyBootsOnFire

Looks like we're going to have to make a monthly trip to vegas, with the excuse of stocking up on paints. Yea, that's it, i think i can sell the boss on that.

12. KY Boy

KY Boy

I've said for a long time that the tree hugging liberals wont be happy until we are all in a allergen free white 9x9 cell each with exactly the same contents...sounds a lot like communism to me

13. AllSteel34

AllSteel34

NO. I do every day. I'm surrounded by the vermin.

Chris

14. All automotive paint (read basecoat) will be h2o bourne paint by 2009...talked to HOK's Jon Kosmolski and was told that they are working on a waterbased candy. just don't seem right..we carry PPG & they have water-based base color systems pretty much ready to go..it's all about the voc's that we (bodyshops) are putting into the precious ozone...and to make it worse our ppg rep says they (te gov.) are looking into making paint only avail. to licensed shops , so much for home painters.

15. Squablow

Squablow

I kinda doubt that. I'm sure in California it will, but all around the US? California guys are going to have to bootleg the stuff now, sounds like a good excuse to build a fast car with some hidden compartments.

16. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

If solvents are outlawed, only outlaws will have solvents.

17. 62_Galaxie_500

62_Galaxie_500

Correct me if I'm wrong, but no one makes a water-based clear yet, right? How can they outlaw solvent-based paints when there is no clear coat alternative? :mad:

Now that's funny! :D

18. elwood blues

elwood blues

looks like a little trip to TJ might be in order!

19. converseandbowlingshirts

converseandbowlingshirts
    from Eugene, OR

I don't care about the big shops or car makers, but it seems short-sighted to not make exceptions for hobbiests. It reminds me of when they stopped all small aircraft traffic for months after 9/11...doesn't make sense, but that doesn't stop them.

20. warbozz

warbozz

I worked for a Kelly-Moore Paint store in the late 90's in San Francisco, and even then there were some pretty strict rules on the residential/commercial types of paints. One that was funny was the oil based paints that could be bought in quarts, but pouring four of them into a gallon can was illegal. The reasoning was that an open gallon releases more VOC's into the air than an open quart. That's one reason we left Cali ASAP.

21. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

And I my friend will be sure to be one of those outlaws.

22. Jalopy Jim

Jalopy Jim

If the Jackasses in goverment were concerened about pollution, they would require products brought in to the USA be manufactured with our pollution and safety standards. After all we are all on the same planet and the jet streams carry a lot of pollution - just see how a volcano eruption spreads around the globe, so any pollution created in Hong Kong or China has to be reaching here.

23. well you guys in so-cal don't despair if you have the talent to lay down a killer paint job your gonna find a way around this bullshit legistration.

24. SwitchBlade327

SwitchBlade327

I read somewhere that if the paint companies can lower the VOC's in the paint enough that the water based stuff could be put off a little longer. All I know is if the waterbased stuff becomes the norm and I can't find the solvent based, I guess i won't be painting anymore. I don't know many guys with shops that could afford a new paint booth to be able to spray water based correctly....

25. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

I second that. Pretty soon all cars are going to be bare metal at this rate.

26. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Liberalism is the new Communism covered in tofu!

Swankey Devils C.C.

27. jon_p

jon_p

Here's what I've picked up during my stint at a jobber that sells primarily BASF (diamont, glasurit, limco, etc...):
    California is nasty on the VOCs that are going into the air and have been slowly clamping down for years. this is stuff like must spray within a booth, have to have ventilation, etc. the elimination of solvent-borne base is just the next step.
    The waterborne basecoats are currently used in about 90% of oem vehicles, so that means that probably all of the big paint companys already have waterborne systems (glasurit is the 90 line, diamont is coming out soon).
    most clearcoats are made with a low VOC mixing ratio or low VOC version, no one has yet been able to create a stable waterbased clear, so it will be only primers and base for now.
    The tech guru said the waterborne basecoats are actually winning over the production painters because of easier colormatches with OEM colors.
    Waterborne primers, currently REALLY expensive (glasurit was about $130 per quart), are really nice to use. air evaporation is adequate.
    I've heard the big shift in making the waterborne is getting a better dry time. most painters are fine with some heat lamps and 30-40 min dry time before clear. but that doesn't make home painting any easier.
    True lacquer based paints are no longer manufactured (as far as I know, could be wrong on this one) and no one really is in an uproar.

that's what i've picked up. mostly from reps here and there, so the truth might vary. I've used some waterborne and for a pro painter it won't be that big of a deal. But I'm in Idaho, so unless the EPA steps into the game we won't see regulations here for probably another twenty years. that is unless the majority of the population really does become native CA residents....:eek:

jonp

28. converseandbowlingshirts

converseandbowlingshirts
    from Eugene, OR

My car was painted with all waterbase stuff...the guy just doesn't want to end up breathing all of that shit, and the drying time is so short for it too.

29. ratrodhell

ratrodhell
    BANNED
    from sacramento

i talked to my rep today about the solvent based and water based paints and he hac told me like you said they would be starting there in so cal but only bases and possibly sealers. but the bitch of it all is the hobby guys are gonna get fucked .so everything i use i gotta go through my shop. so the garage jobs ae gonna come to a screeching hault!! so i say liberals " die you filthy tree huggers!"