Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anybody ever subframe a '57 - '60 Ford PU?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by INJUNTOM, Apr 22, 2007.

1. INJUNTOM

INJUNTOM

My '58 with a '57 grille has some front end issues, and i have a nice subframe from a '73 Ventura ('68-'74 Nova, '67 - '69 Camaro style)

I'm thinking that it would be a close match, but would like to hear from others, and see pics if possible.

I'm thinking of going either flat black or red oxide primer look with my shop name on the doors in the weathered look.

The truck currently has slot mags....10s on back, 8s in front.

2. Stick Shift

Stick Shift
    from LENA IL

I found a 57 recently too. So I would also like to hear about other peoples front end fixes.

3. nsidemn

nsidemn

I did a 59 with a 72 Torino/LTD sub back in 87 when these trucks were still ugly. Was a lot of work but boy did it drive sweet. The donor car had an interior fire so I bought it cheep and used everything. Motor, trans, rear, steering column, brake booster, front and rear sway bars. The truck sold out in Hershey PA in the early nineties. Had a friend come across it a few years ago in Virginia. Anyone seen it lately? Can't miss it, bright red, chopped top, no vent windows, all chrome shaved, frenched antenna in gas tank hole, and one distinct feature, three wipers off an MG. Cleared that chopped window great.
    I know the GM fronts are a lot easier to graft on, but I've never done one. Keep mine all Ford.
    The independent fronts are always better. Lower ride, disk brakes, power steering are just a few of the positives.

4. didgeytrucker

didgeytrucker

Clipping the F-100 is a big job. You have to re-hang the radiator support that also supports all the front sheetmetal, not to mention re-engineer the steering hookup. The frame clip has to be the right angle so the front end can be aligned correctly. There's a lot of engineering involved and your truck will be off the road for a while.

Check the prices for all the parts to freshen up the front end, too - ball joints, rotors, calipers, etc. Now look at one of the Mustang II kits. They use the Mustang II GEOMETRY (some uses some Mustang II components). They've been in use several years now and all the engineering headaches have been solved for you. Just read the instructions and be back on the road after a weekend. There are many upgrade components made the Mustang II style front ends.

Tracy

5. INJUNTOM

INJUNTOM

Thanks for the info guys....There's bound to have been lots of different ways of doing it.

6. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

Theyre still ugly, but damn do I love mine. It kinda grows on ya after a while.

7. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

I saw a guy on ebay use a 68 p/s box, talked to him...didnt seem to be too big a struggle. Better brakes I dunno, those drums are big so again Id just put power to em.

Just throwin it out there if it might help. The ride will still be straight axle style.

8. I did Mustang II on my '60 F-100, and I also Camaro clipped my '60 El Camino. The simplicity and overall cost effectiveness of the MII kits is unbeatable, and they don't interfere with any of the core support area. You can still find the MII/Pinto suspension pieces around and piece the components together on the cheap.

One tip, which ever way you go: Move your front axle centerline forward 1 1/2" or 2". I moved mine forward 1" and wish I had gone 2". when the wheel/tire goes up in to the opening, it appears way rearward.

Depending on your engine (oil pan) you may not need to pull sheet metal, just yank the old stuff and trim your inner fenders.

9. old dirt tracker

old dirt tracker
    from phoenix

i did a front steer camaro sub on a 57 ford and the customer liked it a lot. the problem i have with the ford pickups is the way forward engine location. i personally dont want to drive a vehicle w/the engine sitting on top of the axle. on the 57 i left the chevy 350 on the camaro mounts and cut the fire wall so the vehicle had some balance to it. not for every body but a nice driving truck now.

10. DirtyTace

DirtyTace

BigRedTodd - What kit did you end up using on the MII?

Tossing the idea around myself - I'd have nearly $900 in a dropped axle, lowered springs and new king-pins, tie-rods and tie rod drops and I'd still have drum brakes and questionable steering.

Thanks!

11. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

We're in the process of doing a '76 Camaro front clip in a '58 Effie, but things have been to hectic lately so things are going slow...maybe the owner of the truck will see this and chime in with some progress pics.

12. eviljake

eviljake
    from Austin, TX

13. DirtyTace,
    I did mine about 10 years agoand kinda pieced everything together as time and $$$ allowed. But as it stands now:
    • Street Rod Engineering crossmember
    • Fat Man tubular upper/lower arms
    • Heidts drop spindles
    • V8 springs (thanks olddirttracker)
    • Junk yard manual MII rack

14. BTW INJUNTOM...

If you need an extra set of hands when you get into it, lemme know.

I am in Modesto also

15. Stick Shift

Stick Shift
    from LENA IL

Where do ya get a dropped axle and lowered springs for these trucks?

16. Kustom Chief

Kustom Chief

I have a frame with a Fatman Front set up for my 60. I didn't think I would like it because it would too high. But I was surprised how nice it looks. Now I just need to get all the pieces in one spot to finish it. - Larry

17. DirtyTace

DirtyTace

18. CPP is also a great source for bolt-in power brake boosters and master cylinders. They're who I got mine from for my '60...pricey but perfect fit.

19. jcruz

jcruz
    from Austin, Tx

ha...aint that the truth! everything i know i got from LUX's post here:
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=148978

so far, everything is turning out to look identical to whats pictured here...no big surprises yet (the suburban/F100 frame is very similar). hope to post pics when i actually get it in.

...theres a mention of nova style clips, too.

20. Silhouettes 57

Silhouettes 57

My '54 F100 had a Volari front clip super ride. Don't know how that would work on a '57-'60 but you just shave down the frame a little on a '53-'56.

21. wyoming

wyoming
    from My house

a buddy of mine did the volari in his 59 and he liked it

22. OGNC

OGNC
    Member Emeritus

I did the entire CPP setup in my 60 (mustang II, brake booster, column saver, etc) and the only thing I wish is that the front crossmember wouldn't have hung down so far. Everything else was awesome and we didn't even have to pull the Y-block out to do it. We just put it up on the lift, pulled the old stuff out, welded the boxing plates in, welded the crossmember and hats to the frame and put it back together. It rode awesome, stopped better than my 2003 Chevy Solverado and steered like a new truck.

Oh, and Dave from The Lowering Block in San Diego did it in a DAY! we started at 7:30 in the morning and at 7:30 that night we were bleeding the brakes. It was friggin awesome!