Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical tech question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TINGLER, Apr 26, 2007.

1. TINGLER

TINGLER

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

Last edited: Sep 11, 2010
  2. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

I like big ol' titties, even if they are fake.

As far as the tranny, isn't the a vacuum line that's supposed to go from the tranny to manifold vacuum? I'm not a Ford guy, but I seem to remember something about that...

3. How about you give him a good old Tennesee ass-whippin'? Just kidding! I bet Squirrel knows about Ford Transmissions.

4. stillkruzn

stillkruzn
    from Conway, AR

There is a vacuum line that goes from the intake down to the carb. At least there is on my '66 mustang that I am running a 302 with a C4 tranny. I had that hose break at the tranny end and it would not shift.

5. I think it's a southern thing,,,,we all have anger issues,,at least that what my family say's about me.:rolleyes:

And as far as the flaked hood scoop,,if it's a tear drop,,I say go for it.

HRP

6. Big difference between a Holley carb and newer fuel injection.Hell that mechanic could know how to rebuild an electronic transmission and know jack about a C4.An old school Ford mechanic would know......as for me I know enough to be dangerous!

7. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

I CANT SAY FOR SURE THIS IS THE PROBLEM, BUT BACK ABOUT 18 YEARS AGO OR SO I WORKED AT THE NOW DE~FUNCT "SUPER SHOPS" SPEED EQUIPMENT STORE.

THE HOLLEY 4bbl CARBS AE SOLD FOR $99.99 WERE THE LIST # 1850 AND THEY HAD NO MECHANICAL KICK DOWN ARM FOR A FORD.

HOLLEY OFFERS DIFFERENT CARBS FOR DIFFERENT APPLICATIONS FOR THIS.

THEY MAKE FORD CARBS FOR A FORD WITH KICK DOWN, ANOTHER ONE FOR G.M. KICKDOWNS, & YET ANOTHER FOR MoPar ...

GET THE LIST # OFF THE AIR HORN & CHECK A HOLLEY CATALOGUE OR POST THE # HERE AND MAYBE SOMEONE HAS A CAT AND CAN TELL YA EXACTALLY WHAT IT FITS.

I DO KNOW THE 1850 WILL NOT WORK ON AN AUTOMATIC TRANS FORD APPLICATION CORRECTALY

8. Tingler,
    I don't care if he drives a Borgward.

Now onto your problem.

Fords had an extra little linkage doodad for the kickdown on the drivers side of the carb. Normally when you're buying a Holley for a ford you buy a ford specific carb.

MOPARS have a similar setup.

Point him towards a Catalog Speed Shop (the one of your choice) have him relate his problem they'll have a bolt on adapter doodad for his carb.

Oh and a hood scoop on a stone is like a dress on a pig.
    I wouldn't never put a dress on a pig, well, unless I was takein' her to the Prom. :eek:;)

9. Hey I resemble that remark.

I think we ought to start a thread and say that anything Tingler owns is OT.

(outragiously tuff ;))

10. I wouldn't tell him, just do it when he's not looking and keep him in the dark.

He could get a job doing Geico Insurance commercials.

BTW, the scoop looks good.

11. T-Time

T-Time
    from USA

What you've already been told about the kickdown is correct, and the "doodad" is available to convert the standard Holley to a Ford kickdown linkage type. If I remember correctly, Holley actually sells two different "doodads" for this. One is easy to install and one is not. Make sure he knows to order the easy to install "doodad".

Great Six-Three! There's no doubt in my mind that the teardrop scoop was a proper addition for the look on that car. My Six-Three 500 hardtop is not gasser-style, but it is period street mod style. It probably won't get the scoop. It did get the fiberglass bumpers, though. Right now it has a 260, but I have a 289 (built somewhat to 289 Hipo specs) ready to drop in it.

12. dickster27

dickster27
    from Texas

Tingler, just look at him very...very seriously and say....
    " how would a dumbass like me know about that" with a very puzzled look on your face. But, turn around so he don't see you snicker.
    the Dickster

13. Tell 'em to "pound sand"

14. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

Holley 20-41 is the kickdown linkage if that is what the problem is. The 1850 carb will not have it... but the 0-80457 carb will. They are the same carb, but the 80457 has the linkage he needs for the Ford auto trans.

15. 1932 Ford Model A?
    No such animal.
    Scoop looks very artsy.

16. RacerRick

RacerRick

Or you can just go and buy the little arm that bolts to the side of the carb linkage and hooks up to the kickdown.

Its something silly like $12 last I checked.

17. DirtyThirty

DirtyThirty
    from nowhere...

there is ABSOLUTELY no questioning a teardrop hoodscoop on an early sixties Fairlane...looks great! I have owned a 63' a 64' and a '65...I LOVE them Super Stock, and gasser cars! I owned a '64 straight axle, Cleveland powered, ex-C gas car, called "Winemaker" as well, it was a blast!
    oh, yeah...ummm the kickdown "doodad" will solve a no downshift problem, under hard acceleration...but, unless he has a manual valvebody, vaccum to the modulator is a novel idea, as well...now show him some Thunderbolt pictures, and help him understand his folly!:D

18. flatblackindustries

flatblackindustries
    from Ogden, UT

Tingler, all said is correct.
    Now get the parts, go fix it for him and when you are done tell him "This is how us faggy artists fix our real cars!"

19. Big Pete

Big Pete

There's no chance he's family to the little slurpee jocky at the gas station?

20. stan292

stan292

Tingler -

See how the old guy likes the teardrop scoop on this old truck. Nowhere near "right" but lotsa laughs.

I know you've gotten shit here before about the scoop deal - and even the "faux" gasser itself. I'm not sure why so many here take all this stuff so damned seriously. I think they sometimes forget what it means to have a little fun with something just for the hell of it.

I picked up one of those phony Mr. Gasket "injector scoops" for my (neverending) '60s-style altered roadster project, and can already hear the jibes I'll be getting from the HAMBers (as it will be atop a single 4-barrel carb), but who cares?

I'm not trying to fool anyone - it'll look sorta cool (to me anyway) and I just want to have some fun before they toss my sorry ass into that 6-foot hole in the ground. (-:

Attached Files:

21. Gasser57

Gasser57

On the question of kickdown linkage, these guys are dead on. You can chose to share your new-found knowledge with your step something, or keep it to yourself and let him burn up his trans. On the hood scoop, very cool. Most hot rodders say they are never truely "finished" with their car. Many are a constant "work in progress". When you are done making the Fairlane look the way you want, while driving and enjoying it at the same time, the money or desire to go faster may make you swap in a more powerful drivetrain some day. In the meantime, it's your car, lots of us think it's pretty bitchin', do what you want to do. I would rather get my car looking good first, and go faster as money allows. Seems silly to buy a run down dump of a house, but spend the time and money to FIRST fill it with high end furniture and appliances. Love your car, keep up the good work.

22. Kamp

Kamp
    from Peoria, IL

Tingler,
    FWIW... I had a 289/C4 with an 1850 on it with no kick down and no problems. From what I understand, if you don't run a kickdown on a GM it will slip and burn up the trans. .... don't know this for a fact. I don't believe this to be true on a C4 .... don't know for a fact. I do know that the only difference with mine was that it wouldn't downshift when you pushed the throttle down. However, it was floor shift, so I just pulled it back a gear. I ran it this way for 5 years, and who knows how long before I bought the car, and when I took the C4 apart everything was bone stock and looked good.... worn some from age but nothing was burnt or otherwise tore up. They made a couple different C4's, this one was an aluminum case model from 1969... don't know if that matters or not.
    Hope it helps...
    Kamp

23. Ford Freak

Ford Freak

Hey Tingler!! The teardrop looks great, they are a natural on 60's Fords, and look cool on most late 50's Fords too. IMO.
    You got me wondering....just what the hell is a "normal hot rod lifestyle" , anyways?:confused: It surelly can't be the way I live....:D

24. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Your step dad sounds like a peach Street freak.

25. squigy

squigy
    from SO.FLO.

Tingler,tell him "mine shifts fine"!

26. jusjunk

jusjunk
    BANNED
    from Michigan

Im thinking your way outta line here.. What you really need to do is talk to your mother . She needs to boot this asshole out. 1932 model a my ass. You got a nice car he has a shit box and not because its glass but because its a glassics . thier shit is all fucked up.. Get mom some help..
    Dave

27. atch

atch

i think that the real and only question here is whether tingler will show up at the hamb drags in the fairlane this year...

28. Faggy artist...?:confused:

I thought you were a biker and a Poor Boy :confused::eek: J, you gotta work on your image and self esteem.....;)
    (didn't they teach you anything in faggy art school?)

29. Since it appears that we've fixed the carb problem let's address Tingler's "fake gasser"...

Why not make it the real deal?

A little $$ spent on the right engine parts should be enough to "shake the fake" & still keep it streetable. That smallblock Ford wouldn't be too hard to hop up. It's a screamer as it is. I know. I've ridden in it.

Paint two or three extra paintings to go toward the project. You're close friend...

JH

30. Would that be a "traditional" Fairlane,Tingler?