Register now to get rid of these ads!

She big, ugly, and rusty but she's mine 56 caddy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by zippeay, Apr 17, 2007.

1. zippeay

zippeay
    from Hooper, Ut

Well I FINALLY went and picked up my caddy today after 2 months away on business. She's worse than I remember, I knew it was bad but this is gonna be a HUGE project. I honestly almost walked away but I know there's a cool ride hiding behind all that rust and dirt. I couldn't get the hood open before but when I got home it opened and to my surprise it was red? I also found an old car show registration placard under the seat. So maybe this car used to be more than I thought it was. All the writing on everything is gone so I couldn't make anything out but I think I'll still frame the placard and hang it on the wall. I'm really amazed at how clean the engine looks, the guy claims it has sat in his junk yard for the last 15 years. But it sure doesn't look like it. The rest of the car does though. I'm gonna need a lot of time and metal to get her back in shape. Anyway enough gabbing here's some pic's :D . O Clark I also took some pics of the panel truck for you if your still interested -Zipp
    http://[​IMG]]
    http://[​IMG]

2. publicenemy1925

publicenemy1925
    from OKC, OK

Hell yes! Bitchin caddy.

3. long island vic

long island vic

what rust,, on the east coast if the door handles are there its a keeper

4. I like it alot of potential there, keep us posted.

5. Terry

Terry

Very cool Caddy. I agree with you on the motor, it looks really clean. Wonder what you'll find inside it. And framing the tag is a great idea. Can't wait to see progress pics on this one!

6. Skip-o-Matic

Skip-o-Matic

She may be big, but she ain't ugly.
    I don't know what the floor boards are like, but the rest of her looks pretty good. Those rear bumper ends don't look too bad either. They're usually rusted away from the exhaust tips.
    I've started with 10 times worse. You got ya a nice project.

7. BISHOP

BISHOP

thats a keeper, i love caddys.

8. chaddilac

chaddilac

I saw the same car at the salvage today, it had been crushed to about 2' tall.... then there was a 59 chevy mordor two cars up on top! Dags looked good but it was about to be loaded on a truck!

what a shame...

9. time for the pressure washer! looks like a hell of a start get ya a carb on 'er and get that thing on the road!

10. zippeay

zippeay
    from Hooper, Ut

I'm really amazed at how complete it is, I'll take some more pictures tomorrow so you guys can see the rust. The whole rear quarters are shot, the rockers are gone, the floors are all gone. The trunk is gone and the drivers door is rusted almost in half :(. I kind of wish the rear quarters were a little better because they are so ate up I can't tell where the used to be, lol... but I can make em work I think. The bumpers are actually VERY solid, I even have the exhaust pieces "All of them" and they aren't rusted, I may have to remake the exhaust tubes but the cosmetic stuff you can see on the outside is fine. All the interior pieces are there, a couple door handles are broke but the rest just needs redone. I think the whole motor is there and complete, found the whole carb in the trunk with the bat wing air cleaner and radiator. Also found the old fuel filter and the 2 missing interior pieces. Its kinda funny but I think old owner "before the junk yard" used to be really short because theres a piece of rope tied to inside trunk so they could close it :D. The pictures don't show all the rust, trust me. I know it could be a lot worse but it has some pretty big holes in it. It kind of sucks though but I can't start on it yet. I have to help my room mate finish his chevelle "Hopefully it'll be done in 2-3 mos" But at least its home and I can start making parts lists and stuff. Thanks guys, I hope I can make this thing bad ass. -Zipp

11. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Decent looking Caddy...I have a '55 Coop DeVille I'm working on...did a body off. www.usapartssupply.com has the exhaust tubes repo'ed if you need 'em...they deal in Caddy's of all years...also McVey's in Virgina carries tons of Caddy stuff...and I have an extra driver's door if you need it...it's heavy to ship tho...

Have you investigated putting a 500" in a '56...??? It's not as easy as you may think...

R-

12. zippeay

zippeay
    from Hooper, Ut

Hmm wonder how far Aurora is, I'll google it later. Actually I don't remember if it was you or not that told me it wasn't too easy. If it can be done I'm sure I can do it. I've done some pretty stupid crazy swaps before but actually looking at how clean this motor is I may just keep her. I was honestly expecting the motor to be half there, but its not. I'll have to do some more research. I don't know shit about caddy's but this car looked really neat and I liked it from day 1. How's the power of the motor thats in it? I'm guessing its a 390 right? I know that's a stupid question but I honestly don't know. I just want something that's relatively dependable, decent power, and that I can get parts for reasonably. My room mate is trying to talk me into putting a 350 in it but I've heard that can be a bear also. I've got about 10,000 things I have to worry about before I worry about that anyway. Thanks man

13. Great find. It looks better than what I started with. When are we chopping and dropping it?

14. AA/Fuel34fordpu

AA/Fuel34fordpu

Hell some spit and busted knuckles plus alittle love(money). You shall be the king of the county

15. Tubby

Tubby

Cool car, there's a '56 Coupe at my local junkyard that is getting crushed out now. The owner is in his early 90's and most of the cars are picked over but this Caddy has been stored inside his shop since the early 70's and is well preserved. He won't sell it so I suppose his heirs will get it. He also has an all original '66 Malibu more door in nice shape and a '67 Malibu convert with a 250 six in the shop. Not HAMB cars but just goes to show that originals are hidden away still.

16. keeper

keeper
    from So Cal

nothing can beat a cadillac!

17. 55caddad

55caddad

That 56 Caddy motor is a 365. Here is a link to some more specs.

http://www.secondchancegarage.com/public/500.cfm

This might help you in your decision on the motor. My 2 cents, not that you asked, but leave it in there. These Caddy motors are super strong and bullet proof. Speed parts are hard to come by, but keep your eye peeled and you will find them. Good Luck. Awesome Find!

55caddad

18. nailheadroadster

nailheadroadster

Man, that baby is nice!!! Lots of work but not nearly as bad as I expected while reading your post. Looks like a great starting point to me. Good luck with it!!!

19. ratt7

ratt7

Car looks really good, it doesnt seem all that bad

20. Nick

Nick

That car looks really clean, most of that will be an easy fix but whatever you do dont buy rocker panels form USA parts supply they suck!!!! I purchased them for my 60 and they didnt fit. I ended up buying them from classic fabrication who makes them for the car not in a general shape that the car could be with 200hrs of body work. Their fender patches on the other hand are pretty nice.

21. PhatCaddy

PhatCaddy

Welcome to the secret society within the secret society.

22. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Here's a thot..wouldn't it be cool to do an "All Cadillac" meet at some event...within an event somewhere...I'd love to see everyone's ideas, engine ideas and interiors...

R-

23. touchdowntodd

touchdowntodd

"you aint a man if you dont own a cadillac"

24. graverobber63

graverobber63
    Alliance Vendor

25. 55special

55special
    from NC

Great find! I say weld a floor in it, bolt the carb on and drive it. It's more fun doing body work when you get to drive between "patchin" sessions!

26. carmak

carmak

I have a 57 Coupe and rebuiult the 365 a few years ago. I have a few observations.
    The 365 / 390 is a fairly expensive engine the rebuild. The heads are VERY prone to cracking around the center exhaust port. The heads are also unique side to side and in many cases year to year. In mid year 58 cadillac went from a rope rear main to neoprene rear main (major inprovement, my 57 has a late 58 365 block).

The engine sits very low in mid-late 50's cadillacs. The front pulley is just above the crossmember and the exhaust manifolds very close to the control arms. I attempted to fit a small block into my 57 with multiple manifold types with no luck, all interfered with either the control arms or the steering sector/steering shaft. I have seen a few 472/500 swaps and it looks like they will sit down into the frame. I have seen one BB chevy in a 57 and it was tilted front to rear to the point I would be very concerned with driveline vibration.

Good luck.
    Carmak
    Riverside, Iowa

27. skyrodder

skyrodder

big and rusty yes... ugly in no way!

28. jlouie

jlouie

cool caddy cruiser you have there. have fun with it, and like everyone else has said, get it on the road:)

29. Dude, I don't know why you even pulled that thing on the trailer! What a pig! I know your hatin' life with that oversized Chevy wanna-be! I'm hurting for you man! So much so I'll come steal it outta your driveway just to make you feel better :D ! After all, what are friends for:cool: ?

Seriously, that Caddy is georgeous! And, it's really in good shape, relatively speaking (relative to some of the junk I've brought home).

30. KOOLIO:) When Where? No trailers allowed:mad: Maybe the KKOA show in KS? Kinda in the middle of everywhere.