Register now to get rid of these ads!

thought some HAMBers might like this car...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Carbs & Chrome, Jun 5, 2006.

1. wvenfield

wvenfield

Glad you chimed in. I was going to ask why anyone would build a car you couldn't actually drive also.

If it was a work in progress and is now streetable, that's alright with me. You can call it whatever you want.

{edit} Just saw the video of it on the street. Nice work.

2. Circus Bear

Circus Bear

3. Wow this post came back from the dead. I posted this thread 'cause I liked the car. As far as I know this car is "different" - atleast for around here (SLC). If anything the motor sets it apart. I remember when loudpedal and those guys first rolled out their rides and joe public thought they were trash... opinions change in time I guess. I have always liked the "non-traditional" traditional. And if this car is going to be called a "rat rod" I think it is atleast a rat rod built right and built safe. I really hope no one has any ill feelings after reading the replies and comments in this thread. I have not seen this car all winter, but here is a pic off another thread from the HAMB of the car out at B-ville for those that asked. I did not take the shot - enjoy.

Attached Files:

4. Danimal

Danimal
    1. A-D Truckers

I have a new background on my computer...thanks!

5. 34Chrysler

34Chrysler

That car is tits and I am with the owner, ruffling feathers is good for folks now and again

6. I love it! I especially love the cut out in the dash to clear the throw of the shifter!! Lots of thought and engineering went into this to get the stance and look. I also love the thought of going outside the box and going with an inline8 instead of the regular old V8 be it caddy, ford, Chevy, Chrysler, or whatever. Did you see what was on the ground (snow) in that u-tube trip? That's gotta be dedication to your toy!!!!!!! You got my vote "RAT ROD" or not!!

7. Awesome ride and killer sound on the video. Nothing sounds cooler than an inline with straight exhaust. If it were mine I would NOT paint it. Leave it like it is.

8. I would post a few pictures but the file is to big and wont load? Ill try to figure it out. Thanks for all the great comments.

9. Either resize in your pic program or send 'em to me and i will post them for ya.

10. HotRodPackard, can you post some specs on the engine and driveline? I have a 288 Packard 8 that I've been building cars around in my head. What kind of tranny are you running? How much boost? How strong does the set-up you have run and would you do anything differently?

I saw the video when it was posted a while ago and that motor sounds very good.

11. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Hmmmm, guess I'm not intelligent enuff to figure this one out...sounds like a contradiction to me...care to explain this one...???

R-

12. Irish Dan

Irish Dan

You can call it a ham sandwich if you want to! It's your ride, and that's all that matters! By the way, it's cool and I like it! It's also a tribute to you that it's been engineered with safety in mind. They can never be too safe!

13. Ok that does read weird, sorry. From my experience (not with this board) people think that a traditional car is fuzzy dice, black paint, red steelies, mooneyes decal on the fender... period. And if does not meet that criteria than it is a "rat rod".

14. Zerk

Zerk

Ak Miller was an early proponent of the Buick I8, Cad flathead V8 and the "new" Olds OHV V8, at a time when almost everyone else ran the bangers and Ford flatheads. He built a '32 roadster with '40s Chevy IFS in the 1950s. You tell me...traditional? Nontraditional?

15. Gasserfreak

Gasserfreak
    from Yuma, AZ

16. repoguy

repoguy

More pics & info on the motor please.

17. LongnLow

LongnLow

fuck these guys- that things badass

18. MAN, WHATTA CAR!

That is so cool.

Everyone has their own taste.

If you want to avoid criticism...
    Say nothing. Do nothing. BE nothing.

That car must be so much fun to drive.

I'll bet you get a lot more compliments than complaints.

19. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Definitely a sweet ride. I think I'll pull out my new favorite word- That thing is one bad-ass Rawd! Great work!

20. Frosty21

Frosty21
    from KY

[​IMG]

Y'know if someone built something like this today, It'd be mostly "WTF?" and "I think I threw up a little" comments...

Which..hell...it still looks like an mutant salamander or something...

21. Front suspension- looks like it could have torsion bars thru the front tube (Pict. with the gauges) but check out the motor mount with "lighting holes" looks like 3/16 flat stock?

Neat concept but again "execution".

I do like the overall look. including the chromed 28 shell.

22. HHRdave

HHRdave
    BANNED
    from So Cal

YES...we can safely call it that....but is it "safe" next to you on the road??

23. KutThrtKustms

KutThrtKustms
    BANNED
    from SO.CAL.

Your car has to be my favorite of all time when it comes to modifieds!! That mill and charger are everything KOOL about being a Hot Rodder!! Nice stance, nice idea, and nice that it all works well together....Congrats!!

24. Roupe

Roupe

Thats no rat rod, just work in progress. Lets see some more detailed pics. Alot of cool ideas there, no SBC either.

25. highboy_04

highboy_04
    from Kansas

look a little closer. there is a leaf spring up front, and those mounts look a little heavier than your saying.

26. ...

Attached Files:

• 1.JPG
      1.JPG
      File size:
      39.4 KB
      Views:
    • 2.JPG
      2.JPG
      File size:
      95.7 KB
      Views:
    • 3.JPG
      3.JPG
      File size:
      96.8 KB
      Views:
  27. After reviewing the additional pics, It would still be safe to call that car a Rat Rod.... but,,,,,, That isn't always a bad thing.

The car is raw, bare metal, exposed welds(not that that is bad though) nothing closed to finished inside or out,,,,, yes the public still refers to this type of car as a Rat Rod, I should know I help put on a indoor car show full of cars built in this fasion and Joe public and the wife and kids know them as Rat Rods.

Informed hotrodders and your peers will see the workmanship and be able to judge the car safe or not, from what I see it is actuall very well built with lot of imagination. Not sure how comfortable it would be on a long haul, I guess that would depend on how young you are ;) :D

So please don't take my original statement as derogatory towards the car it self, just the style and how they are widely recived by the public.

28. bowtiemyk

bowtiemyk

I saw your car at Bo's last summer, what a piece of ------ craftsman ship. Awesome welding and the detail was fabulous. And yes it is a driver!!

29. You know i built the car for me! I dont give a damn if you think its safe or leagal or a rat rod! I call it a hot rod or the roadster I even call it the packard! I have found the guys who mostly tear it apart could not come up with the time or the ambition to build one like it. You know it doesnt bother me cause I can just jump in and drive it, You can not. If this car upsets you or disturbs you well i cant make any of you like it, nor do i want to. The car to me is just as i built it a fun fucker to cruise in and have fun! I will for those that want to see more. Try to get some pictures up of the chassis and other details that i would like to share. I have been trying to resize the pictures I have so I can post them but got pissed off and decided to go for a ride in my truck instead. so be patiant i'll get some on soon. talk to you later from salt lake.

30. Ned_Gob

Ned_Gob

Not only did he build something totally new from something totally old but he can drive it and film at the same time, the dude just oozes with talent . And is that monster noisy ! ( good noisy !!!!!!! ) Good job brother !