Register now to get rid of these ads!

Cost to chop a top...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by _charles_, Apr 15, 2007.

1. _charles_

_charles_
    from Tampa, Fl

How much should I expect to spend to chop the top on my 53 Cadillac? Obviously, I'd want it done by someone that knows what he's doing, but I have no idea what it costs? $5k? $10k, more???

Charles

2. CHOPSHOP

CHOPSHOP
    from Malden,MA

Hey Charles. It depends on what condition its in and what (if any) stuff you wanted along with it.
    It could run from $5k-$8k (give or take) and that includes making it look 'pretty'(body work).Im in the Boston MA area so dont know what the rates are in Florida, but I could prolly put you in touch wtih someone.
    Im sure someone on the board here does good chopping too. Good luck

3. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

I would make sure the price includes glass installed and fitting right. That's the most important and hardest thing to make right.

4. old beet

old beet

One piece door glass and a Carson top is the easy way out! The stainless alone will cost a bunch, if you want a hardtop. Sink the rear window, modify vents and remake all the glass! Over 10 K I'd think!........OLDBEET

5. wvenfield

wvenfield

There is a post here somewhere from a guywho said he is willing to travel this summer cutting tops. You might look for it and see what his rates are.

6. that 53 cad rear window doesn't need to be sunk. it's undersize from the factory. just move it up the top a few inches and it will look fine. the windshield is an easy cut. and the side glass is all flat and no problem either.
    I'm doing a 51 Bel Aire that the shop insisted on laying the rear window down. Now I have to cut down 2 laminated corner windows and make a new laminater center glass from scratch. not fun nor cheap. and I don't think the roof proportions are that good either.

Attached Files:

7. RODMAN58

RODMAN58
    from VIRGINIA

There is a guy posting on ebay to chop your lid for 1800 bucks. Includes the garnish mouldings. Not the glass work. The flat glass is
    not so bad but the curved stuff could get pricey in a hurry. The same
    fellow might negotiate that though. He had pics of chops he was supposed to have done listed. Still, that seem pretty danged cheap.
    Rod

8. Yo Baby

Yo Baby

Back in the 70's the going rate was about 6-800 per " with a 2" minimum.

9. Redneck Smooth

Redneck Smooth
    from Cincinnati

I believe there's a dude on this site that does chops starting at ~$2500. He has a shop in either Arkansas or Missouri...

10. speedaddict

speedaddict
    from Austin, Tx

that's some cheap chopping guys! 1800??? I'd be afraid...very afraid.

I think Choprods starts at $4500 and he's got a lot of experience.

11. _charles_

_charles_
    from Tampa, Fl

I was wanting something like this for a chopped top..obviously, the rear pillar is totally different than stock as well...

Attached Files:

12. gtnrkix

gtnrkix

I can't believe no one has bragged about Choprods yet! Kenny is the man and he is far and away the quickest and cheapest! North central Mo. Booming metropolis of Elmer. It's a ways for you but worth the trip. Did my 50 Ford in abot 2 weeks. Nice guy , too. He has the eye to do it right.(Kenny, do I get a discount coupon now?)

13. Mine was FREE!!!!!! But I did it myself:) Easter weekend 2 years ago by myself. The trim work is the time killer and deal breaker. If the trim looks like shit it won't matter how nice the top flows or looks. The hard part would probably be what the rear window should look like for ya

Attached Files:

14. _charles_

_charles_
    from Tampa, Fl

I work on computers for a living, and have never picked up a welder, or a cutter. I am re-tiling my master shower this week, but this in no way qualifies me to cut the top off of my car :D

Charles

15. OLD BINDER

OLD BINDER

hammerndollie is the hamber that will travel . i just ran across his post

16. ol fueler

ol fueler

Hell, theres nuttin' to cutting it OFF ---anybody can do that. :D
    Putting it back is the trick!!!

17. chevnut

chevnut
    from Corona, Ca

Why not get a bunch of local-like minded people together to help you? Figure food and drinks for a weekend, porta -potty's $2000+ or less, plus plenty of return favors to look forward to. Good fun way I think.

Search HAMB CHOP in the forums for past events held chopping cars. With the admin's permission see if they would support a HAMB CHOP 07. Warning!!!!This is a lot of work!!!. I saw first hand just how much from last year's HAMB CHOP. Good way to get to know rodders in your area ..just a freindly suggestion..Good Luck!

Chevnut

18. 51Gringo

51Gringo
    from Nor Cal

That's my buddy Jeff Deihl's old Caddie, now that was a nice top. I seriously doubt your gonna get that nice for $1,800. Good luck friend.
    Remember...Good work, ain't cheap..and cheap work ain't good..
    If they know what their doing, and the quality is there, expect $10,000 without batting an eye. If you don't care about your car or the way it looks...go to the cheap guy.

19. How right you are:)

21. InDaShop

InDaShop
    from Houston

Please PM, Choprods, he is one hell of a guy as well as can chop a top like no other. He'd give you a fair price.

22. Slag Kustom

Slag Kustom

to chop the top is the easy part. making all the trim work and look good is where all the work is. on the 53 caddy the vent window frames are cast and alot of work to cut down.