Register now to get rid of these ads!

How do you protect your Hot Rod when traveling and staying overnight in a motel?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by GotRust, Apr 11, 2007.

1. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

dont run a motor with valve covers :D

2. Some of the "It's just a car" responses amaze me. I have stayed up till midnight several nights a week for months muilding my car and it's only half way finished. I don't care what the isurance paid, I'd be highly upset if someone took it, yanked the motor and wheels, and torched it, as they often do. As far as a car cover, when I see a car with one, especially in a parking lot, not behind a house for long term storage, I think, "that must be something really special, if the owner needs to cover it every time he parks it,".

3. lucky_1974

lucky_1974

He's already doing that...:rolleyes:

Attached Files:

4. Maybe you should buy an enclosed car trailer and lock it down for the night.....But then you would worry your truck and car trailer would get stolen.....You can put one of those pulse flashing lights in your car to keep people from any mischief.....Anxiety can be a real dreadful thing...Prozac would also help.....Seriously, insure your car proper, cover it and go and have a good time....your way of thinking will manifest this unwanted crap to happen to you....Relax and don't give it another thought!!!

5. Mooosman

Mooosman

About all I have is a battery disconnect switch, and an ignition kill switch. If it's in a really bad part of town, I'll pull the rotor.

Other than that, just roll the windows up and don't leave anything in the car overnight. If they glance in and don't see anything but an empty car and my AM radio, they probably won't break in.

I also try to park as close to the office as possible.

Other than that, there isn't much you can do to stop a pro from getting it. They do it for a living, they WILL get it!

Nick

P.S. Running without a hood and with a nice motor is just asking for trouble, IMHO. The only way I would run without a hood would be if I just had a junky 305 or 350 in there.

6. Mudslinger

Mudslinger

IM one of the guys who also cant believe people just hope for the best and insure their car. I think that comes from a better neighborhood attitude.
    I live in a bad area and its not getting any better, so no matter where you travel your going to screw up and stop somewhere you shouldnt. I know how these bastards operate. I have fought this shit before.
    Custom made car covers especially the locking ones and trailors equal big scores to thiefes. You never know what a guy has rigged up with a hoodless car or a beater.
    I park right at my door if possible and start pulling my parts. Rotor button, kill switch, club and I carry a gun. Legally I might add.

I think were going to have to travel in groups and do the hourly watch like mentioned before.
    These cars arent getting cheaper to build.

7. Yo Baby

Yo Baby

An unlocked briefcase or CD holder full of snakes in plain veiw on the front seat,or better yet just sittin' beside the car?;)
    I've been pretty lucky I guess.I've never had a car or part stolen at the track or the hotel and never really worried about it,but I had all my cassettes and change stolen in front of a cottage in Galveston once.

8. Hilarious! Years ago, my dad had a huge crate of oysters he was bringing home for a party, he painted "LIVE SNAKES" on the box, nobody messed with it...

9. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

All the guys from the "bad" part of town travel to the "good" part of town to steal the good cars........duh....

I LIVED in a BAD part of town for 3 years, with my '68 Charger R/T in a carport....left it everyday to go to work.....only problem was neighbor kids used it one day as a jungle gym....once.....

10. JoeG

JoeG

I tend to worry about vandalism more than theft but I think it's no different than any modern car. You can deck them out with locks, covers, alarms, and lojack but in the end if someone wants it bad enough they're going to get it. I like insurance at or slightly above replacement value.

11. If I were to run a 305 or 350 I'd make sure the car has a hood to avoid the humiliation. :p :D :rolleyes:

12. MarkX

MarkX
    from ...TX

a line lock on the front brakes and a motion detecting alarm .... park close to your room or at the front door

13. avenue

avenue

if someone really wants to steal your car, they will.

lock your doors, the boogyman is coming.

I guess with that said, if I were to use one, I would put a kill switch somewhere convenient yet unsuspecting, like right in front of your face on the dash where the previous owner cut a hole for some dumbass aftermarket light switch or something useless.

an obscure toggle on the dash is too obvious for an impulse thief. They're too busy looking for the hidden switch in the glovebox, under the dash, or trying the lighter trick to notice the one that's next to the headlight switch. or, hell, you could just wire one into the headlight switch itself. parking lights on, engine start.

If the thief is clever enough to hotwire the car from the engine bay, chances are they have already figured out the coil wire or rotor are missing and brought a backup. Moreover, if they are really serious, your car is already gone. best go check the driveway now.

14. Horsepower67

Horsepower67

Here's cool idea I ran across; www.ravelco.com

I used to do a lot of mobile electronics in cars. If you use an alarm here's a few tricks I like-
    1. Always use a back-up battery on the alarm. That way the thief cannot turn it off by cutting wires or disconnecting the battery.
    2. Use high-power piezo sirens mounted inside the car hidden under the dash. Even if the thief gets inside the car, they won't be able to stand the sound long enough to do anything about it.
    3. Tie the starter kill into the alarm with a normally open relay so that even if the theif defeats the alarm, the starter still doesn't have power.
    4. Motion sensor tuned so that it only detects movement if something breaks the plane of windows. Great for convertibles and roadsters.
    5. Upgrade to 120-130db siren (JC Whitney). People ignore regular car alarms, but not this one!

15. lexistars

lexistars
    from Fontana

Just breath guys!

16. InjectorTim

InjectorTim

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ee3L9BQQ4Gs"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ee3L9BQQ4Gs" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

17. meanirishmofo

meanirishmofo
    from Hi

I don't bring a cool ride to a show, I drive it and enjoy it when I want. I go to shows for the swap meet so I drive my wife's Subaru to haul parts home. I like looking at Cars but don't really care if anyone sees mine. Hotels/Motels and shows are just a playground for crooks to scope shit out anyway.

18. DirtySanchez

DirtySanchez
    from So Cal

They both travel with me all the time. Guess which one sleeps in the car.

Attached Files:

19. ~Diablo~

~Diablo~

hahahahha

20. budd

budd

has anyone installed a GPS tracking device and or a wireless security cam so that if there car was stolen you would have a better chance of finding it?

21. dadseh

dadseh

what if he needs to go toilies in the nite???

22. Thats because you and rodsnhawgs flew around in those black helicopters reading the National Examiner. Yep - a couple of Government guys no doubt...:D

23. DirtySanchez

DirtySanchez
    from So Cal

I let him out right before I go to bed and first minute I wake up. He's traveled enough with me to know the routine.

24. CHOPSHOP

CHOPSHOP
    from Malden,MA

We try not to stay in larger HOTELS but in smaller motels and have mulitple rides there. Seems to make the non car guys think we are a gang or something- (insert laugh here)When we go to larger events (like Syracuse) there are so many in the parking lot- that I just dont think people dare touch em.
    I guess you could bring a girly car cover too- but then I always wanna know whats underneath it and usually peak.

I also got me a battery kill switch. Cant imagine someone wanting to take my car- its not like it would just 'blend in'

25. If everyone thought like you we wouldn't have any shows. If you got one you need to show it. By show it I mean drive it where it will be seen park it where it can be seen and admired. How is the hobby/life style going to grow if we just keep it to ourselves?

26. repoguy

repoguy

I hope someday someone posts a real youtube video of a car thief being caught and beaten down. That would rule.

27. I do like DirtySanchez....I leave Fluffy in the car at night. That's him over on the right ! :)

Attached Files:

28. lastws6

lastws6
    from PA

Johnnyfast,

holycrap, tell me about that dog. sheesh....

29. jusjunk

jusjunk
    BANNED
    from Michigan

I just go to the bar every nite and get shit faced thne go to bed try and get layed and hope the fuck its still all there when i wake up.. Oh ya insure the fucker heavily:D:D
    Dave

30. Been there, done that many times. Once in Indy we had five Harleys in one motel room...